Need help translating a postcard you've received?

Please post it in this topic, to get some help from the community! :slight_smile:

Someone will hopefully see your request and reply with a translation. If you know someone that could help translate a postcard that has been shared here, you can invite them to the discussion using the Share button at the bottom of the page. image

Note: posts in this topic will be regularly deleted, so that postcard messages don’t stay here for too long.

12 Likes

:finland: I received this incredibly cute Moomin card, lucky me! Who speaks Finnish and is able to translate what it says on the front? :finland:

1 Like

With my limited Finnish knowledge and some help from Google Translate, I’d say: “For your birthday, some colour to life!” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe a helpfull tip; on your smartphone you van use Google translate and zoom in with your camera on text. Google translates the text for you. It helped me when was on a citytrip and couldn’t translate the menu in the restaurant :wink: It works on most texts.
It’s not perfect and sometimes causes some hilarious mistakes, but it van be helpfull

2 Likes

@Bayrisches-Madl
Really close, but I would translate it as “for the honour of your birthday, some colour for life!” I am not sure if this idiom exists in English but in Finnish “väriä elämään” / colour for life means to make the life more exciting. So the card has a pun.
(Ignore my flag, Finnish is my first mother language)

As a language teacher, google is my arch-enemy :smiley: Okay okay, it is handy for some situations but it is way better to just ask people for the translation.

4 Likes

Thank you for your contribution, @Kompis-Ninna.
I’m a translator and a language teacher myself. I certainly don’t recommend Google Translate to my students, but it is undoubtedly helpful to get the general meaning of a sentence or two. I think @Bayrisches-Madl just wanted to know what the message meant.
I am not a native English speaker, but “for the honour of your birthday” didn’t sound correct to my ears, so I didn’t use it.

1 Like

Of course. I just thought it would be nice to know about it being an idiom and also a pun. Idioms and puns are my favorites when it comes to languages.

As a native Finnish speaker I of course want to offer my help when it is about translating Finnish :slight_smile: Not an easy language that one.

4 Likes

Sure! Idioms are one of the most interesting aspects of languages, I agree! :blush:

1 Like

:rainbow: Thank you all for your translations! I love the idea of someone bringing colour to my life, be it in honour of my birthday or on any other day :rainbow:

2 Likes

In the UK, I would be more likely to say “In honour of your birthday”.

I would really love to speak more languages but I’ve yet to find a system that works well for me.

Can anyone translate the information on these postcards (or identify them from the picture)?

One from China:

Caption:

Two from Russia:

Captions:

From reverse:

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Those Russian ones are:
Dormition church in Kondupoga, Republic of Karelia in Russia (says here the church was burned in 2018):

Skala Tarmak

3 Likes

retouch_20201115115547
:smiley: :smiley:

3 Likes

Is a tower called Po Pagoda in Kaifeng of Henan Province.

Po Pagoda, which is located in the southeastern suburbs of Kaifeng and was originally called Xingci Temple Pagoda, has a unique appearance. It is so named because the location of both the pagoda and temple is called Potai.

Constructed in 977 in the Northern Song Dynasty, it is the oldest ancient building in the city. Some historical records put the pagoda at nine storeys, but only three storeys were left by the first year of the Ming Dynasty when the other storeys were destroyed. Later, a smaller seven-storey pagoda was built on its top to serve as its steeple. The total height of the pagoda is 31.67 meters.

The remaining main body of the pagoda has six sides and three storeys, each storey much smaller than the one below, giving it a unique appearance. The first storey is a hit higher than the other two, with a door on its southern side, while the second storey has a door on every side and the third only on its southern side. The first and second storeys have multitier eaves, under which are brick brackets modeled on wooden ones. The exterior walls of the pagoda are inlaid with some ten thousand brick statues of Buddha, making it a pagoda of ten thousand Buddha. The postures of the Buddhas are diverse and the carving is excellent. Therefore, they are valuable, rare carvings from the Song Dynasty.

The pagoda has wooden flooring, and a staircase leads to the top. The roof balconies, in particular, are wide, providing an excellent vantage point for observing the view. The walls of the doorway on the southern side of the first storey are inlaid with six stone tablets with inscriptions of Buddhist scriptures made in 977, a proof of the year of the pagoda’s construction. Another six tablets in the doorway on the same side of the second storey have inscriptions of scriptures made in 982. In the doorway on the northern side of the second storey are nine tablets bearing the names of benefactors. There are a total of 159 other stone tablets in the pagoda carrying the names of other benefactors. They are all invaluable for studying ancient Buddhist classics and calligraphy.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! What an interesting building.

1 Like

The upper right one is German.

The top text says 365 days with HIM

The dates below the calendar are the most important Christian holidays.

At the bottom there is a bible verse:

Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears us up; God is our salvation.

1 Like

The top left postcard says “Greetings from Podlesice”.
Fun fact: declension applies in Polish language to many words and that includes proper nouns.

2 Likes

Left bottom:
World Championship of Football FIFA 2018 in Russia
Saint Petersburg
Host City

Right bottom:
Host City
FIFA World Cup
Russia 2018
Saint Petersburg

1 Like

Hello! Konnichiwa! :jp:
I have received this beautiful postcard. Can anybody transcribe the words (with the English alphabet) and translate them for me? Thank you very much!

1 Like