World Peace Day Maxicard Creation

Dear Postcrossers,

If you have read my first plea for help that is about creating Ukraine-themed cover / maxicard, you will find this second plea very similar or even confounding.

Again, I came up with the idea of creating what in philately is called maximum cards (‘maxicard’ for short) using another postcard of mine. I want to fix stamp(s) on the image side of the postcard, and have all of these stamps cancelled in their respective countries of issue exactly on a date and at a location that correspond to the theme of the project.

While the first initiative means to show solidarity with Ukraine, hence the cancellation date is chosen to be Ukraine’s national day (24 August), this second initiative is centered around the theme of peace, hence the date of the cancellation is chosen to be 21 September, known as the World Peace Day.

This is how the postcard for this project will look like:

It pictures the Peace Bell in Montreal Botanical Garden, which was offered by Hiroshima of Japan on the occasion of the twinning of the two cities. The inscription reads, perhaps a bit surprisingly at the first sight, ‘future of hope’ (希望の未来).

As this second theme is more general, many countries around the world have issued in the past stamps celebrating peace outside of the current context of Russia-Ukraine conflict. Canada alone has in its catalog at least 7 stamps about peace (or 10 stamps if we count those issued for Christmas – a traditional theme of which is peace). A quick research shows that there are over 500 peace-themed stamps in the world.

Nevertheless, I am not going to ask this much people to help me. I want to narrow down the scope of the project a bit, so unlike in the first initiative, this time, the location of the post office does matter. The cards have to be made not only in specific countries, but also at very specific locations with peace-related names.

This is going to be a multi-year project. For this year, I am only aiming at collecting postmarks from locations I have searched (mostly in English, French, Japanese and Mandarin). Overall, the second list of volunteers I am calling for is shorter than the first, but much more specific.

/----- LIST OF SPECIFIC LOCATIONS -----/

My search criteria are:

(1) It must be an administrative neighbourhood or a public space whose named contains the word peace; private lands and properties don’t count. Or it can be a place where a historically known peace treaty was signed or a peace conference was held.
(2) When the potential location of cancellation is a place where a peace treaty or the likes had been signed, the country must have issued at least one stamp commemorating this particular event, whether this stamp is still valid for cancellation or not.
(3) At this location there must be at least one post office that does stamp cancellation.
(4) The respective country must have issued at least one peace-themed stamp that can be cancelled today. (e.g. for Germany, this means an Euro-currency peace-themed stamp; for Portugal, this means a peace-themed stamp issued after 2012, etc.)

An example of a location that has to be sadly excluded is ‘La Paz’ in Madrid, because no post office is located in this district. Another example is everywhere in Israel, because their post offices don’t cancel stamp anymore, and the last philatelic shop (in Tel Aviv) was closed during the pandemic.

Here are the peace-related towns / districts / post offices I have found so far.

Bolivia:

• La Paz, capital of Bolivia

Canada:

• Myrnam, AB (5027 - 49 St, Myrnam, AB T0B 3K0)
    – name in Ukrainian
  • Notre-Dame-de-la-Paix, QC (285 Rue Notre Dame, Notre-Dame-de-la-Paix, QC J0V 1P0)
    – name in French
  • Peace River, AB (10031 100 St, Peace River, AB T8S 1A0)
    – name in English
  • Wetaskiwin, AB (4811 51 St, Wetaskiwin, AB T9A 0A0)
    – name in Cree

France:

• Compiègne, where the Germans signed the Armistice of 11 November 1918 that ended WWI.
  • Paris, where the Paris Peace Conference was held in 1946.

Germany:

• Münster, where Peace of Westphalia was signed in 1648;
  • Osnabrück, where Peace of Westphalia was signed in 1648;
  • Wermsdorf, where Hubertusburg Castle is located, and where the 1763 Treaty of Hubertusburg that ended the Seven Years’ War was signed.

Hungary:

• Békés, Békés County

Japan has quite a lot of peace-related post offices:

• 札幌平和一条郵便局(〒063-0021 北海道札幌市西区平和1条2丁目1−3)
  • 前橋平和郵便局(〒371-0027 群馬県前橋市平和町2丁目18−15)
  • 金沢平和町郵便局(〒921-8105 石川県金沢市平和町2丁目13−18)
  • 平和郵便局(〒490-1399 愛知県稲沢市平和町中三宅高道35-1)
  • 名古屋平和郵便局(〒460-0021 愛知県名古屋市中区平和1丁目23−16)

Poland:

• Pokój (1 Maja 9, 46-034 Pokój, Poland)

Spain

• Badajoz, Badajoz Province

Taiwan too has quite a lot of peace-related post offices:

• 基隆和平島郵局(基隆市中正區和一路129號)
  • These 3 post offices belong to the same administrative district named after peace in Taichung City
    – 和平郵局(臺中市和平區南勢里東關路三段160-9號)
    – 和平谷關郵局(臺中市和平區博愛里東關路一段106號)
    和平梨山郵局(臺中市和平區梨山里中正路89號)
  • 秀林和平郵局(花蓮縣秀林鄉和平村113號)

Ukraine:

• Myrhorod, Poltava Oblast
  • Myrnohrad, Donetsk Oblast
  • Zhytomyr, Zhytomyr Oblast

United Kingdom:

• Peacehaven, East Sussex, England

For the first year of this project, I will be in charge of the creation of the Canadian maxicards in one of the peace-related towns in Canada. As for other locations, I am hoping to find some people who live nearby or can go to these specific post offices on the 21st of September (a Wednesday this year) to ask for cancellations.

/----- HOW ELSE YOU CAN HELP -----/

As this project requires considerable research, I alone am unlikely to be able to research the location names of the whole world all by myself. If you know in your country there is a city / town / administrative district whose name is peace-related, please let me know. It will considerably ease my burden!

/----- AFTERWORDS -----/

I don’t know yet what I am going to do with these cards produced through international collaboration, but I promise, if they will ever be on sale, all proceeds will go to a charity organisation instead of my pocket. The public will be able to consult the expense report associated with this project. For the moment, I do hope to find some collectors for these precious cards that are born out of every participant’s kindness.

P.S. I don’t know if I will create an original hand-drawn/painted cover for this project. That’s why I am calling the philatelic items this project aims at producing ‘(non-traditional) maxicards’.

2 Likes

Polish stamps that will be used in this project:

I am not sure if this set contains all the peace-related stamps Poland ever issued. I need to do more research on this.

For Ukraine, I will be using stamps that celebrate the end of WWII:

1 Like

Here are the 6 peace-related stamps issued in Canada (I used them on my War and Peace postcard to the Kremlin :laughing:)

Here are the two Canadian stamps involving peace dove which I am not sure if I should include in this project. I have already created a hand-drawn cover called Hope (2022) that was inspired by the first Christmas set on the themes hope, joy and peace.

Apparently, this pictures a dove too. So there are 3 Christmas stamps showing the imagery of peace dove:

2 Likes

Opps, I missed this armistice stamps issued in Canada in 1968 – shame on me!

1 Like

Here is how the Hope (2022) cover looks like in the end, completed with the second cancel:

I got two cancels for this cover. The first was obtained thanks to a family cycling across Canada who passed through Hope, BC, on 3 June 2022. For the second one, I mailed my work to the post office located in Val-d’espoir, QC (espoir means hope in French), and asked the staff to cancel the last Peace stamp on 21 September, known as the World Peace Day.

The composition of this cover is designed to combine the three stamps in this Christmas set: In the turbulent cloudy sky, sunbeams – known as ‘God rays’ – appear to emanate from the light source that is a bird-shaped fissure in the cloud. The ‘bird’ appears to be holding a trumpet that echoes the visual of the Joy stamp. My drawing gives vague hint of religiosity but can be treated as a purely secular piece.

This is not a cover that specifically aims at celebrating peace, but hope, joy and peace kind of go hand in hand in our daily life.

« Hope » (2022)
Graphite on Arches paper (10" x 7")

2 Likes

Today, I finally got the results from Peace River, AB! (Why does it take so long? I have no idea!)

Look at this beautifully designed pictorial cancel! It truly reflects the name of the town.

This is in fact the new cancel that Peace River updated in May (I know this because I wrote to Canada Post about sending my items to Peace River for cancellation.)

5 Likes

Beautiful. Some things end up worth the wait, eh? :wink:

1 Like

They look so amazing :dove: :blue_heart:

1 Like

A little update:

• I found a locality in UK with peace-related name: Peacehaven in East Sussex.

• I received my stamp order from Poland: the 2023 EUROPA theme is perfect!

I also have this sheet but I am not sure if I will use it now that the peace stamps have been issued … What do you folks think?

Now I am waiting for my EUROPA stamps from Ukraine!

I decide to add one more condition about this project:

When the potential location of cancellation is a place where a peace treaty or the likes had been signed, the country must have issued at least one stamp commemorating this particular event, whether this stamp is still valid for cancellation or not.

So, for instance,

Münster and Osnabrück are on the list of peace-related locations, because it’s where Peace of Westphalia was signed, and Germany did issue a stamp commemorating Peace of Westphalia in 1998 (no longer valid).

So is Wermsdorf in Germany, where Hubertusburg Castle is located. It’s where the 1763 Treaty of Hubertusburg that ended the Seven Years’ War was signed, and there is a German stamp commemorating the signature of this treaty issued in 2013 (still valid).

I decided to add this condition because given the bloody history of humanity, a peace treaty was signed in pretty much every major city/capital of every country. If I am to allow every locality to be a peace-related location, the list will be too large. So I want to restrict its scope.

After much thoughts and moments of hesitation, I decided to go forward making use of the 1919 set celebrating the end of WWI. I recorded myself at this ‘historical moment’ of putting the stamps on the postcard:

How many of us think that we are dealing with history when holding a tangible piece of stamp in hands? :rofl:

As a collector of more modern stamps, my reaction at putting this 1919 set on the postcard was: WOW!!!

P.S. Sorry for my speaking inability especially when multitasking. It was a sudden epiphany that I should record myself, so I didn’t prepare the speech.

Here is the set of cards I prepared to send to 5 Japanese post offices:

This time I decided to include a post-it note with diagram on where the cancel(s) should be placed.

These will be non-traditional maxicards, because every card contains more than one stamp.

2 Likes

What an interesting concept and project!
Thank you @delda for sharing your passion for peace, and for asking “How many of us think that we are dealing with history when holding a tangible piece of stamp in hands?”
Indeed! Each stamp represents so much on that tiny piece of paper. I suppose that’s why each country has processes for consideration of the stamps to be issued.
My father was a stamp collector and quite passionate about the hobby as a means to learn geography, history and culture all over the world.

1 Like

Today is World Peace Day. I got these back:

The cancel was applied in Notre-Dame-de-la-Paix, in the province of Quebec, Canada. It’s one of the locations with peace-related names.

2 Likes

Peace maxicards from Taiwan:

We sent our requests to 3 post offices that are located in an administrative district named after peace (和平) in Taiwan. One of them even applied the pictorial cancel available at the post office – colourful addition to the colourful stamps – isn’t it?

I got the results from Békés, Hungary! They even cancelled the old PAX stamp issued in 1969, that was unexpected :slight_smile:

This is from Wetaskiwin (AB), Canada, whose name is in Cree:

I also got the confirmation from my French participant. The Paris cancels were not very pretty but at least my request was fulfilled and the items not lost (I had lost a big Proust cover that was sent to Paris for cancellation last year around this time of the year).

2 Likes

Today I got 4 results from Japan. Some of them were so nice as to include additional postcard and paper crane (as a prayer for peace)!

Lovely – aren’t they?

2 Likes

This is from Wermsdorf, Germany, where Hubertusburg Castle is located. It’s where the 1763 Treaty of Hubertusburg that ended the Seven Years’ War was signed.

I also got an additional greeting from the Postmaster :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I also got this from Germany – not sure what kind of cancel it is, but it looks nice!

It’s commemorative of the 375th anniversary of Peace of Westphalia.

(Thanks be given to @nocsiz who told me about this cancel.)

1 Like

Surprising results from Poland!

It’s not surprising that Poland had issued many stamps related to peace or the end of war, but it’s surprising that old stamps are still valid for postmarking. This is the hugest pile of cards I got for this project :slight_smile:

Many thanks to @sebiusz for his valuable help.

2 Likes

Last pile from the district with a peace-related named in Hokkaido, Japan was received today:

(Why did it come so much later than the other 4 piles? I have no clue!)

So far I have completed the collection in Canada, France, Germany, Hungary, Japan, Poland, and Taiwan. I already have a Belgian participant for next year; we will be using the following stamp that celebrates the Treaty of Ghent and other peace-themed stamps issued in Belgium:

Maybe I will try Bolivia’s capital if I can find out more information on their postal service.

1 Like