Sending notecards instead of postcards

That main rule is not suitable for postcrossing, if you think sending paper piece is also ok.
No individual member decides the rules here. Everyone has agreed to send postcards.

Sad that already the one possible member apparently unjoined seeing this thread and maybe thinking it’s common to send notecard parts :worried:

8 Likes

Personally i think it should be just regular, printed postcards. It is not that hard to send just real postcard, or is it :smile: Not notecards, folded , cut outs from some food boxes, no selfmade - only when profile says it welcomes those kind of things.
Now, i’ m starting to think should i add no selfmade/ cut outs etc. please note to my profile :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Ok, it is sad that somebody has quit because they have received something they didn’t like. But i know of many people who stop temporarily or completely because they do their best to send something to a receiver only to get “Never send something like this” as a response.

Wiktionary states that a postcard is: “A rectangular piece of thick paper or thin cardboard intended to be written on and mailed without an envelope. In the case of a picture postcard one side carries a picture or photograph.” I love receiving and sending irregularly shaped postcards. If somebody will start making a rule that if i want Matryoshka postcard or something shaped like Postcard RU-7643974 i must start a different project hat would be ridiculous. I also like sending postal cards, which differ from the regular postcard in that the address is written on the same side as the image.

Trust me, many more people leave when they send something and receive a harassing message rather than a Hurray or when a receiver refuses to register than when somebody receives something that doesn’t fit their collection.

I would be fore the rule that if you state “no such and such cards” you need to follow up with the medical reason or some-such. For example, when a person says “No cards with spiders, i have arachnophobia” that is fine, but “No self made cards, because i am better than you” that is not.

2 Likes

Don’t worry about this. Most of the user here are understanding and it’s only rarely that you get an angry person who has more “don’t send” than anything else on their profile. Relax and be happy. If you think it’s ok to send, it probably is.

2 Likes

Hi @moni_lluvia
Welcome to Postcrossing!
There will always be people who have different preferences, and especially on a site where many people are working in their second or third language, there are people who sound very strident in their opinions. I think that it is rarely intended that way.

However you have found a forum-topic that is quite sensitive to many Postcrossers - “Is a folded card in an envelope (a greetings card in UK English) the same as a postcard?”.
Since Postcrossing is for postcards, and that is clear in the rules and FAQs, this is an important question. Some languages don’t have a separate word or expression for postcard and greetings card so it can be difficult for people to know what is intended.

Have a brilliant time on Postcrossing and enjoy the connections that you make.

7 Likes

Goodness this is a very spirited conversation! If you get something that you are really disappointed with, I guess it’s up to you to refuse to register it.

The rules say that you can include letters and pamphlets- it’s right there in the screenshot of the rules. :woman_shrugging:

It doesn’t say anything about the stickers and washi tape, etc. I guess those “extras” are not covered by the rules. I will consider that in the future :blush:

Thank you to each member for sharing your thoughts on this topic. :heart: Happy and thankful to be a part of postcrossing!!

1 Like

I didn’t say so.
How I understood they left because of this conversation, because they tagged names who tell sending notecard parts is ok, and they apparently came to swap postcards. Which is understandable.

I also know members come and go, but it’s sad to scare away new members with this false image like “everyone” would send just about anything and we should be happy with it because the sender is, or doesn’t bother buying cards. When the reality, luckily, is that majority is normal postcards and majority is super nice members.

I know what postcard is.
I know I can even send a spider card to someone who is afraid of it, because I don’t need to read the profile. (And not everyone has the language skill to understand those.) But of course I try to send something a person likes, and definitely not something they are afraid of.

But always contact the Postcrossing team, they will see if it’s a new member who don’t know what is a postcard, or an old member just not caring. New members will get more understanding, and that is good.

There’s a difference between including and sending instead of, though. You can send an envelope that contains a postcard and a letter, but you can’t send a letter and no postcard.

2 Likes

All you have to do is send a postcard. The recipients may have wishes, but theses are just wishes and in my experience most of them will be satisfied if you send any postcard.

3 Likes

Wikipedia states:

So a postcard does not necessarily have to be rectangular, it can also be shaped.

2 Likes

I know it’s harder to find postcards then it once was. I think postcrossing is keeping that alive. Sadly even though you don’t travel much in real life, you may to travel the internet and buy postcards. There are even ways to find more on this site.

2 Likes

Wait! What? This is a legitimate concern for many. Surely you are not saying to not read the profile before sending the postcard? Especially if there are exposure issues or triggering images. Just send any postcard you want.

Yes there are indeed! :blush:

Let me show you the online shop Wiki…

… and my topic about postcard online shops in the German forum:

Best wishes dear!

Thanks. I didn’t look at that, but that’s exactly my point. Everybody’s definition is a bit different. For some it’s only cardboard, for others it’s thick paper, for some it’s rectangular, for others can be of any shape, some say that it can have no folds, others say that it can have folds, some say it must be mailed without an envelope, others say that it has to go through post in any way.

Nope! The definition on Wiktionary is a bit sloppy, the one in Wikipedia is more exact. But there is no discussion that a postcard is made to travel without envelope, so it has to be sturdy enough and folded cards/greeting cards/notecards are not.

1 Like

I wouldnt trust Wikipedia, people can edit it.

They can also edit wiktinary.

Yes, thats why i dont use them, because it was proven that people can edit the site