Sending notecards instead of postcards

I also got a piece of paper, it really disappointed me. I had written to the sender that they should send a postcard not paper. I don’t think it’s a work of art either, I’ve seen beautiful handmade postcards, but at least they are on postcard paper. So for me, definitely send a postcard.

1 Like

Yes, these are accepted as these are postcard, and it is allowed because maybe someone can’t write etc.

I too have received such, some are with personal text and image chosen to me, or of their own photo turned to a card, that’s nice. But then one with text that was partly copy of the profile, ends in the middle of sentence, sent from another country than the sender, so that was maybe the least “connection” experience card.

Mostly in these I don’t like that my address is given somewhere, and also it’s just mainly an email, forwarded to someone who printed it and sent to me. It’s like they are outsourcing their postcrossing writing part, and then collect the fruit themselves :smile: (which to me, who likes the writing too, feels like how can they miss that part :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Okay, no! That is not a postcard. Nor is it a notecard. Honestly, 100% failure on the sender to even attempt to send. @Lena1984 if that is what the “other things” consist of that people send… by all means don’t register. Just please dont judge honest efforts to abide by the spirit of the project.

I think its cool looking, but i think they should have used postcard paper and not printer paper.

4 Likes

I registered the paper, but I wrote my opinion to the sender. Fortunately, this is the first weird post after a year on postcrossing. :grin:

2 Likes

What should be wrong if the sender travelled to another country and sends cards from there? I did so, today. I am from Germany and today I travelled to Belgium, bought postcards there, pulled addresses with Belgian id, put Belgian stamps on them, wrote them and put them in a Belgian letterbox. What should be wrong about that?

2 Likes

I dont think anything is wrong with that. I think thats actually cool and pretty smart.

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

I think he meant the sending services, like touch note etc. where you write the message on their web page, and this service sends the card. I have received such from a member in USA, but the card came from Germany, and looks like any ad slip. The person never had the card in their hand, it never even was in their country. So, yes, these are allowed, but I don’t like my address given to some company, and always prefer the hand written message.

5 Likes

Yes, that’s the problem with touchstone and services like this. If you actually sent the card that’s good.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that. You wrote the card and sent it. With services like touchstone, a 3rd party receives your address and the message. The sender never touches the card. My concern about these services is privacy. Although admittedly I am giving up my privacy just by being on the project.

4 Likes

I am also not fine with the fact that somebody gives my address to a third party, but this thread is about sending something else than a postcard and what those services sent to me so far waa sturdy enough to survive sorting machines and looked like postcards, so it met the rules of postcrossing.

1 Like

I received a folded notecard in an envelope once from a sender who was new to Postcrossing. In my Hurray message, I thanked them, welcomed them to PC, and let them know I was surprised to receive a folded card. They replied that they did not know it was supposed to be postcards only and thanked me. That was it. Very pleasant and simple exchange.

8 Likes

Reading these chain makes me nervous about sending a postcards & not meeting the receivers standards.

3 Likes

OP you can always cut the note card and write like a postcard

3 Likes

As long as you send a postcard you are fine.

It’s ok to send other things with it and it’s ok to send it in an envelope but a postcard is a must. You can buy it in a shop or you can make it yourself, the only requirement is that it is a postcard.

5 Likes

Thank you, I found good ones on Amazon. Trying EBay next

1 Like

Paper cards are great. Greeting cards are awesome.

For me the main rule is : Would i be happy to have received it myself? If the answer is Yes, then it’s ok to send.

On a different postcrossing site i’ve even received summons to court that a secretary in a judges office managed to send me.

3 Likes

This is something I really don’t like. It feels like receiving an already used card, or like a recycling project to save the sender’s money. As I send real store bought postcards, I admit that I feel cheated when I get a recycled peace of a folded card. :neutral_face:

Sometimes I send ad cards if the reciever collects them, or when the card is perfect for their collection. But ad cards are postcards intended to be sent without envelope, after all.

Also a cut-out food box is better than half a folded card in my opinion. A food box card qualifies as handmade for me, perhaps because it was never intended to be a postcard and the sender put some creative thought in it.

Half a greeting card feels somehow lazy to me, a compromise for the sender, but not nice for the reciever. :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Or do swaps where they send notecards, would be the most normal thing to do, if one already knows it’s not a postcard.

I’m looking at a notecard I got along with a swap, and thinking if I would send this front…it looks like scrapbook paper piece, smaller than postcard, something you give with flowers, I really don’t understand why would I or anyone else send only that to someone :thinking:

1 Like