Help us get OUR Canadian Postcrossing Stamp

Dear Canadian postcrossers, today I sent this postcard to Ms. Graves. I hope this helps!

8 Likes

Love how you use data to make the case as well as that you ask for a response. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Every time I’ve written about getting a stamp, I’ve received an answer (as long as I put my name and address, that is!). Most time it took time, like a few months from the time I’ve sent to when I actually received an answer, but the gentleman previously doing Ms. Graves’ job always wrote back.

Patience is key!

Just received this! Today, 2022.10.31

8 Likes

Me too @Stinkypaw.

And so, Canada Post is listening.
I will write back in order to demonstrate that the momentum is critical.

6 Likes

Today I got the same reply! Postmark from 29 October 2022 and now it is already here. And they put real stamps on the envelope.

2 Likes

How interesting! It’s a form letter, but one that’s specific to Postcrossing and lovers of postcards :email: Hopefully that means it’s not entirely a pat on the head. (I haven’t received that form letter myself, but I’ll share it here if/when I do.)

In terms of a coordinated effort, there is a very interesting thread called USPS will consider a USA Postcrossing Commemorative Stamp! that started on Sep 29. It might be good to follow it and perhaps take some tips from their approach.

It may be challenging to encourage Canada Post to take up the Postcrossing idea when it is not actually Canada-specific. If only we could make Paulo and Ana honorary Canadians so that we could say Canadians created it! :blush: As you know, there is a kind of underlying Canadian nationalism in a lot of the stamps’ themes. But by definition, Postcrossing is international, so that is tricky here. So I wonder if we might take another tack and suggest that Canada is lagging behind in the international postal community in issuing its stamp! We can point out that the USPS (U.S. Postal Service) is formally considering the proposal for an American Postcrossing stamp; that might carry some weight :wink:

Also, I checked – and like the USPS, Canada Post commissions its own stamp designs. So, I think coming up with our own design idea is likely futile. But, there’s no reason we couldn’t submit examples of Postcrossing stamps from other countries, to show how much variety and visual interest there’s been so far. The more we can kindle enthusiasm on Canada Post’s part, the better our chances!

1 Like

Great points @doryfera!
Perhaps each of us could each check in with some of our regular RR contacts and ask if they would be willing to write to Bronwyn Graves USING a Postcrossing stamp, and explaining it’s importance to this wonderful international community.
I do consider each of us to be ambassadors; for our countries, but - more importantly, in my view - for the goodness there is in humanity. This is one of the great attributes and strengths of Postcrossing.
As an example, @Shana_Leja has done a superb job of emphasizing Germany’s support of a Postcrossing stamp with her postcard that celebrates the German Postcrossing stamp.
I also really like your idea, @doryfera, of reinforcing the USPS consideration of a Postcrossing stamp as an additional ‘nudge’, and will use it in my next letter.
Finally, I VOTE for @paulo and @meiadeleite to be given Honorary Canadian citizenship, so they, too, could make an insiders pitch for the stamp.
Of course, we could ask them - nudge-nudge, wink-wink - to write a letter to Bronwyn, as the founders of Postcrossing, and on behalf of Canadian Postcrossers - and ALL Postcrossers - for a Canadian Postcrossing stamp.
@paulo and @meiadeleite, if you are listening … Bronwyn Graves’ address is above. :wink:

Let’s keep up the momentum! :partying_face:

1 Like

I do not think that this is a positive way to motivate, for it somehow says “Canada Post, you are the last and you are the worst.”

@RalfH - it is a cultural thing here in Canada, we’re self-deprecating and always comparing ourselves with the US / International Community (for good and bad). You would be surprised how much weight that we’re lagging behind someone else does to push ideas through. I am not sure why we do this as Canadians, but it is just what we do. Haha

2 Likes

Ah, okay! I did not know that.

1 Like

I received my form letter from Bronwyn Graves today (3-Nov-2022). Same date, body text, electronic signature as the others. Similarly, the only personalization is the usual MailMerge content (address, salutation line, name-check in final paragraph).

I’m a little encouraged by the fact they have a form letter response to us, though. We’re sending enough cards and letters to warrant having our very own automated response! Hee :wink:

2 Likes

This is all very interesting, I hope Canada gets a PostCrossing stamp just like im hoping for one in the US. I will send a card as others in this thread have and let the stamp commission know im prepared to drive directly to Windsor Ontario as soon as the stamp is released and buy some :smile:

4 Likes

You rock @WiscoFamily ! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Hopomg all the support from outside Canada encourages Canada Post to take extra notice for the cause.

I received the same letter as everyone else from Mrs. Graves except she wrote something about Puerto Rico :rofl:.

5 Likes

at least that little ‘extra’ makes it more personal :wink:

Thank you for writing!

1 Like

Maybe we need to lobby (or get a member on) the Stamp Advisory Committee. . .

2 Likes

You need some breath, in Germany the wole matter took at least nine years.

3 Likes

I recently received a letter from Canada Post (dated 16-Mar-2023) announcing the 2023 stamp program. This one was signed by Jo-Anne Polak, Senior Vice-President, Corporate and Employee Communication, rather than Bronwyn Graves.

It reads:

Dear XXX,
Thank you for suggesting Postcrossing as a topic for a stamp or commemorative envelope.
We appreciate your support for this important subject, as I’m sure do many Canadians.
Canada Post receives hundreds of important suggestions each year, ranging from historically significant people, places, and events, to broad themes and ideas, that speak to Canada’s rich history, culture and identity. Every suggestion that Canada Post receives is presented to the national Stamp Advisory Committee (SAC),an independent body of experts, who review these suggestions and recommend a balanced stamp program each year. The Committee has carefully considered the thoughtful input submitted by many Canadians through this process but can select only 18-20 for stamp issues per program year.
The 2023 stamp program will commemorate some of the country’s most accomplished individuals and historic milestones, subjects we are confident will resonate with all Canadians. Based on the Committee’s recommendations, below is a preview of the 2023 Canadian Stamp Program, as approved by the Board of Directors of Canada Post. Please note, the subject of some stamp releases is kept confidential until an official announcement is made closer to the release date.

The letter then goes on to list the stamps chosen for 2023, none of which (obviously) is devoted to Postcrossing.

So much for getting a stamp this year. Let’s keep pressing for 2024!

P.S. Images of this latest (2-page) letter:

2 Likes

I received the same letter yesterday.
And I plan to write back to remind about Postcrossing.
Perhaps we all should? :postcrossing:

2 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be any space in their yearly plans for fun stamps. We’d have to find a way to tie in to a serious issue or fundraiser.

1 Like