What Do You Say On Your Postcards?

I’m just very curious as to what everyone says on their postcards. Do you introduce yourself and talk about where you live? Or are you more into recipes, song lyrics, etc? I’m just getting started and I mainly do an intro, but I’m very curious as to what everyone does. I’m wondering how you decide what you will say. Do you write your postcard as if you’re responding to their profile? I love unique ideas. Thanks!

16 Likes

Check this monthly writing prompts when you need idea on what to write on your cards

5 Likes

Well, welcome to Postcrossing! I might do any of those things, depending on the mood and how much the person has written about themselves and if you feel a connection or not. If there’s something worth explaining about the card I chose for them, I might do that. If I have something in common with them, I might talk about that. If they want book recs or whatever, that’s probably where I will go. Sometimes people share almost nothing in their profiles - sadly! - so for them I will write whatever I feel like, which might be pretty minimal.

You will soon get your rhythm. There are no rule books here, but it’s always nice to see if you can make a nice connection.

19 Likes

If they have questions or tips on their profile, I follow that. If not, I like to write about where I live, my favorite food, things we have in common and things that come to mind.

5 Likes

I keep a list of trivia items about my town (i.e. city “firsts or facts”), and rotate those. Depending on how much room, I may respond to something in their profile, OR use the monthly writing prompt, OR share a favorite quote or saying. If their birthday is in the future, and I think they may receive the card around the date, I may mention that (or say, e.g., Happy Birthday on the #st of February!).

10 Likes

Sometimes I will write about what I’m reading, watching on TV, or listening to in music or audiobook or podcast form. If the postcard is from a trip I’ve taken or relates to a subject I can talk about, I will talk about that trip or that subject. Sometimes I’ll just write about what’s going on in my life or what’s on my mind. If I’ve been to the place I’m sending a card to, then I may write about my experience there.

7 Likes

I usually introduce myself as what they write on their profile. Mostly I talked about my job, where I live, or my hobbies. But if we have things in common, I love to write about it. Because for me, postcrossing is about connection.

5 Likes

I write what comes to my mind at the moment. A short profile with only postcard wishes might get a “general” message related to the card or my town. A profile with information about the receiver helps to write a more personal message, because I have something to refer to. :wink:

I got some postcards with quotes from books or songs, that’s nice too.

We already talked about this here in the forum, but I only found this older topic for some input from the other side. :wink:

Here you might find ideas too:

5 Likes

Could your question fit in here?
What’s your postcard-writing “ritual”?

Maybe some of the other moderators could merge it in there later if it fits.

1 Like

for me it depends mostly on the profile of the receiver. if we have something in common i usually write about that. so if someone mention their pets i talk about my cat, or if someone likes music i tell them what i listen to or what concert i’ve been to.
if the profile is (mostly) empty i just write the first thing that comes to mind. why i’m choosing that card or what i’m doing this week.
if someone only wants tourist cards and doesn’t mention much else i just talk about my town.

i never introduce myself though, i think it’s a waste of space. i just put my name at the end of my message.

6 Likes

In my case it depends on:

1. The profile of addressee - if it clicks, it clicks, if I find something that I can elaborate on I probably will,
  2. The postcard I’m sending - if I know something about the illustration I will probably write about it, especially if the addressee expressed being interested in travelling and learning about other countries,
  3. The mood I’m in atm - I am very emotionally driven person and sometimes I’m just not in the mood or I’m over the top for no reason. I’ve noticed that it comes at ease to write something when I’m in a better mood,
  4. Prompts of addressee - sometimes postcrossers give prompts about what to write to them, I try to answer their questions or follow their prompts because I assume that they want to know that if they put it in their profile.
5 Likes

I simply share greetings, then ask how are they in my mother tounge and English, then describe card and stamp if they appreciate stamp. And give song/movie recommendations if they have liated on profile.
Mostly varies with space on card with profile:)

2 Likes

Here’s my typical breakdown…

1. Saying hello to the user from my location!
  2. Introduce myself (name, age, my job)
  3. Talking about why I chose this card for them
  4. Talking about what I’m doing/what I did today
  5. If it applies - I mention any recent holiday or if I’ve ever visited where they’re from! I also reply to any questions on their profile that they want to be answered.
10 Likes

Thanks for the replies. You have all given me some great ideas!

2 Likes

I start off with Greeting from city/state/USA. From there anything goes! :slight_smile:
When their profile has specific questions or prompts, I will respond to one of those.
If they mention having a pet, then I will definitely talk about mine too :slight_smile: if they love cats, and I am sending a cat card, then the whole card might just be about cats, lol.
The weather, if anything unusual is happening here, or if I think my region’s weather is very different than theirs. I know, potentially boring, but some members mention it in their profiles too.
Sometimes I talk about the card itself, if it is an unusual landmark or a favorite one, or when I send art cards. I also talk about why I selected a particular card for them , especially if it is unusual or different.
Sometimes I talk about travel, if I have been to their country or not, or if it’s a country or city I would like to visit someday.
Plus some of the other topics other members mentioned here too.
Have fun! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I forgot to say that when I sign my name, I print carefully and write in in block letters, not everyone reads cursive.

6 Likes

Hey there, I just write what comes up to my mind. On that moment.
I give a lot of emphasis to calligraphy (I actually think the back side of your postcard is much more interesting than the front). So I pick my calligraphy pens choose the color and then dip my pens on the ink (yes I’m really old-scholl :grin:) and very slowly start writing anything. It can be an idea that is crossing my mind on that moment, or something I did recently, or something about the image on the postcard, or something on the profile. I try to make it personal and really touch the person on the other side. Even writing the address of the person I’m sending the postcard to is something that gives me lots of pleasure. I try to make it really beautiful with pristine calligraphy. I abhor “serial” postcards, I mean the ones that are done as if on a assembly line of a factory: usually they are “just another one” with printed address on a label and the dry “happy Postcrossing”. I avoid that and really take the time to slowly dedicate myself on the postcard and REALLY think on the individual on the other side. It requires time. All the best

15 Likes

There was a moment where I tried this as well (cursive with dip pens/nibs), but I would get hurray messages stating that it was hard to read! Do you do block lettering when writing with dip pens or is it cursive? I totally understand that people cannot read cursive, and I have learned to only apply my cursive writing to those that welcome it.

To stay on topic - most, not all, of my postcards follow this general outline:

[postcard ID]
[date]
[optional: weather, time]
Hello [Postcrosser]! Greetings from [place]. I live with [this person and creatures] in [describe area of the city].

Then I try to describe my day or week, or answer whatever questions or prompts the pulled addressee has on their profile.

2 Likes

I take my cue from the profile. If we have shared interests, I may talk about that. If their profile asks any questions, I may answer them. Otherwise, I often talk about the subject of the postcard (why I chose it and/or why I like it), something personal about me or my interests, or I use the monthly topic from the Postcrossing blog.

One thing I sometimes do is ask the recipient a question — possibly because something on their profile has made me curious, or something just naturally arises from what I’ve written on their card. Very often they answer in their “Hurray” message! I love this because then it really feels like a human conversation. I always ask out of genuine interest, so hopefully that makes it more personal and pleasant for the recipient, too :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hey Roxanna!
I don’t use cursive… are you talking of Spencerian or Copperplate letter types ?
I do more the “block” lettering type.
Namely: Gothic letters, Rustica Capitals (they’re from ancient Rome), or Foundational Hand… just to name a few examples.
If you have no idea what I’m talking about :yum: please check my Pinterest board here

there you can find some of the works I did (and you can imagine the face of the person receiving a postcard from me written with those letters :laughing: ).
The pens I use are mostly Pilot Parallel Pens (the big ones 3mm and above)

Often I tend to start with a Versal (a Versal is a BIG Capital letter - just google for “versal letter” and you will see what I mean)… and I start my work from there.

Calligraphy for me is so much more than beautiful handwriting. It is a form of art.

Take Care

13 Likes