Questions about the forum

Hey there! I’m still relatively new to the forum part of post crossing. I think I messed up a setting but can’t figure out what I did. My live notifications shows I denied permission for notifications and my “like” button is missing off all my recent posts? Does that have to do with the denied permission too? I don’t want to deny permission.

Go to your profile page by clicking on your icon >
icon - preferences, then click Preferences > Notifications, and enable notifications. Be sure to click the “save changes” button at the bottom of the page when you’re done.

The “like” button is never available on your own posts. You can only “like” other people’s posts.

1 Like

I don’t see an enable except for custom

Under Live Notifications, you currently have “permission denied. “ Click on that to change it to “enable notifications.”

If I understand correctly, Live Notifications are different from normal notifications (the blue numbers floating above your avatar). Live Notifications pop up from your browser, like ads.
It’s denied probably because your browser blocked it, or you clicked “Block” when this shows up:

If you want to use Live Notifications, you have to change the setting on every browsers you use.
If you are using Chrome, go to the browser’s Settings → Site settings → Notifications.
Hope it helps. :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Another member sent me what I consider a rude message. How can I delete that so it no longer appears on my notifications thread?

1 Like

If it’s a rude message, you could flag it and ask the moderators for help - so they’ll know that the sender sends rude messages.

If you just want to get rid of the message, you can delete yourself from the message:
Go to the first post of the conversation. On the bottom of the post you see the button “Add or Remove…”. Click that and delete yourself from the conversation. Afterwards you will NOT have access to that conversation any more. That means you cannot flag it any more, not reply - not anything.

If you want to keep the message, you go to the bottom of the whole conversation and click “archive”. Then you can access it again in your archived messages later if you wish to, but it’s not visible at a glance any more.

Hopefully I understood your problem and one of the solutions helps?

3 Likes

Thank you for the answer I needed!

2 Likes

Hello, friends! I currently live in the state of Virginia, US and before I leave, I’d like to send off all of my Virginia-related cards.
So, my questions are:

1. Which sub forum is best to advertise free/unregistered postcards?
    And 2. Should I post photos? Whats the best method for that?

Thank you so much! :smiley:

Edit: spelling

Hello @geedunk

1. Might I suggest you look at the #trades-requests-offers section of the forum?

2. If you plan on swapping your Virginia postcards for other items, photos would be appreciated. You can fit four in one frame maybe?

If you plan on giving them away (ie sending them to people for free), then you can skip the photos and leave the element of surprise :wink:

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

It depends on how many cards you would like to send and …

1 Like

Is it possible to add postcards to your wall from Round Robins/Lotteries? If so, how? Thank you.

2 Likes

No, it’s not Wendy, only official cards sent or received through the PC site can be uploaded onto the PC web site - the Forum is a separate system. Lots of people use a variety of free online photo sites to upload some of all or their received trades or offer cards.

Here’s some suggestions & discussions of the pros & cons of different sites (most of them free):

5 Likes

I recently received my “member” status, but some areas of the forum are still locked for me, specifically #games-activities .
I’ve read about the trust levels and did the bot tutorial and so on, but I am still unclear on what I need to do to unlock this section.
Any help is very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Hello @Kadsenchaos

I think you mean categories with a :lock: like #games-activities and #trades-requests-offers.

These categories are not locked for you.
They have a lock because they can only be seen by logged-in users.
Other categories without a lock can also be read by non-postcrossers.

1 Like

Thank you! Sorry for the stupid question, haha…

No problem - there are no stupid questions.

Dear postcard people,

How do I undo a like for a post?
It happened more than once that I liked art someone posted, but later noticed a subtle connotation that I actually don’t want to support. Those connotations are nothing which need to be reported (if they were, I would report them), but I’d be really glad to not-like them at least. Is there a way to undo the likes? If I go over the liked heart, my cursor turns into a :no_entry_sign: symbol and I can’t click the heart to undo the like. Strangely, the problem exists only for some posts but not for others. For example, I can easily like and un-like this post Questions about the forum - #892 by Bille

Sorry if you explained it anywhere else, but I did not find it.

All the best, thank you for your great support!

From what I know, you can only “unlike” a post some time after you liked it. I’m not sure how long that time is. But I guess, some minutes ?? :woman_shrugging: (edit: I think the default is 10 mins)
It happened to me, I was scrolling, and unconsciously, I liked something, and I was able to remove my like without a problem.

Thank you, Inês! That makes me understand why I am able to unlike the posts when I just liked them (which I always did when testing something).

If I was able to choose and make wishes, I’d prefer the possibility to remove the like forever. I think it is possible to edit the post for a long time, so it would make sense to also allow the un-liking.

Anyway, thank you!

2 Likes