Questions about the forum

What if somebody won my chain lottery and hasn’t started theirs as is in the rules since 21st Feb. 2023? Let it be? Maybe they forgot. Is it really obligatory?

Have you already written a message to the user?
Maybe it was simply forgotten.

Unfortunately, that also happened to me once - but I noticed it myself some time later.

Well, if it’s the rule of the lottery, then it’s definitely obligatory…

1 Like

I haven’t written yet… Thank you for the explanations!

1 Like

Each day, I check the latest posts. There are a huge number of Lotteries posted. Is there a way to hide or block posts that I have no interest in? Thank you for the assist.

1 Like

Do you mean you don’t want to see any lotteries at all?

If so, you could mute the entire topic.

From the “lotteries” main page (https://community.postcrossing.com/c/games-activities/lotteries/99) just click on the little grey bell in the upper right-hand corner, then select “muted.”

2 Likes

@Tara_Bell Thank you so much! That worked.

2 Likes

Hello!
Maybe my question will seem silly, but - how can I post new topic? I don’t find button for “+ new topic” anywhere. :frowning:

1 Like

I think it’s a trust level thing — when you’re new the forum, you have to make a few comments and participate in a few different ways (reading a certain number of threads, etc) before it grants you the ability to make your own thread.

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone, I would like to ask:what does the cake near my name mean?

2 Likes

Today is the day you joined Postcrossing! Congratulations on being here another year :partying_face:

3 Likes

anniversary of joining the postcrossing forum :cake:

3 Likes

As @Whitelake has already written, the cake was baked for you because today is your forum anniversary.
Since you joined Postcrossing on the same day as the forum, today is also your Postcrossing birthday, but you have received or will receive a congratulation email for that. The :cake: is only for the forum.

3 Likes

You can use google translate. It has a feature where you can use your phone camera and hold over card and it will translate into it english (or any language you select) hope that helps.
Also there is a thread somewhere in te forum where people can help translate for you.

A question and a thought for mods/anyone who can edit the forum;

Maybe it makes sense to have a warning that you should look for threads that already existed on a topic, even if the topic is older? :slight_smile:

I’ve had a number of mine merged/moved into other topics and while I’m not offended by it, this isn’t behaviour I’m used to on other forums - in other places this posting on old threads is called ‘necroposting’ and is actually seen as quite rude!

Even the forum software warns you that some threads haven’t been posted on in xyz amount of months, but it seems that it’s the norm to post on threads that are old. I like it but thought that others may be coming from places like me where this isn’t normal;

To me it is at least impolite to not look if a question has not already been answered / discussed before, for it is really annoying to read the same questions again and again just because the posters do not bother to search for a moment.

1 Like

Fair enough! I come from forums where it’s seen as incredibly rude to revive a topic like that when the last post was say, three, four, five months ago etc. So to me I would look, but if the post is old my first thought is to make a new thread. I have to train myself out of that habit ^^;

1 Like

You’ll get used to it!

Out of genuine curiosity; why would that be rude? If you have a reply to thread, does it really matter how old it is?

Here, I think it’s more about letting people know there already exists an answer to their question, but I don’t like the way it’s done with the merging. That just prompts people to answer all over again. Instead, I think they should close the new thread with a link to the old one, and encourage people to look for an answer there before asking again.

3 Likes

On other forums, it’s a thing of, once the thread dies we let it die. Esp. in video games where the answer to something may have changed because of updates or bug fixes - it makes sense to just start anew.

Or, for a more postcrossing-applicable answer, I’ve seen people on other forums “necro post” by bumping a giveaway and then everyone thinks it’s open even though the last post from the OP was years ago :frowning: