In English - Visitor's corner

Hi @Eyvindr! I’ve moved your post to the visitors corner in #communities:scandinavia, as it fits much better here.

If you want to buy stamps from Posten, you have to use the website you mentioned or go to a Posten counter in a (grocery store) (or post office if you’re lucky to live close to one of the very few remaining ones).
It’s also possible to buy stamps from Roschberg Mynthandel AS, Asker Mynt and Tubfrim (and possibly others as well). If you buy stamps from these places, you pay less than face value.

2 Likes

@Norway_girl thank you so very much for your reply!! I also didn’t know where to ask this question, so it’s perfect that you moved it here :blush:

Is there a year when stamps expire in Norway? And can I also combine stamps like the inland ones so I can use them to mail abroad?
And this stamp for example:

I only see the one for Oslo but not the Bergen one for example. Is it just sold out? like will the stamps disappear at some point? And do you also have specific postmarks for stamps, like when they are first published?

So sorry for all the questions! I am just a bit confused, since the post is so different in Norway.

No.

Yes, you can. As long as you add sufficient postage, you can use any stamp you want.

It wouldn’t surprise me of some stamps are sold out. The two stamps you showed were issued in 2020 to commorate anniversaries of Bergen and Moss. I guess Posten thought “These won’t be interesting to use after 2020” or something like that, and therefore they might have made few. The stamps says “Innland 50 g”, which means that one stamp is sufficient for an envelope between 21 g and 50 g inside Norway. I have to admit I never use these stamps. (But I could; they cost 25 NOK, so I could use them together with a 3 NOK stamp to Europe or a 9 NOK stamp to the rest of the world.) So there’s a chance one could still buy them from the post counters.

There might be special postmarks for the stamps in certain cases. Then I assume you’ll have to visit one of the two places in Oslo mentioned here on the day of the issue of the given stamp.

There are some special cancellations though, which aren’t linked to certain stamps. You can read about them here.

The stamps that say “Europa 20 g” can be used alone on postcards (and envelopes up to 20 g) to Europe. The entire Russia and Turkey count as Europe.
The stamps that say “Verden 20 g” can be used alone on postcards (+ envelopes up to 20 g) to countries outside Europe.
And in case you’re sending a postcard to someone in Norway, the ones that says “Innland 20 g” are the ones to be used.

2 Likes

You have found the part of the site that sells stamps in rolls, 100 each. If you go here instead, you find all available stamp, including Bergen.

You say there are no pictures, but I can see thumbnails of all the stamps, so maybe you have to adjust your settings.

You can also buy stamp related products, like maxicards. You find them all from the start page on the order site, here.

1 Like

@Norway_girl and @borealis thank you so so much for your help!!
That is what I love about postcrossing that everyone is so helpful!
Now I am prepared to write some cards when I go to Norway! It is just a bit sad that the postal service is quite expensive :frowning:

I have one more question, do you by any chance now the measurements of the Eventyr og sagn Europa 20g stamps? I searched everywhere for the sizes but they state it nowhere!

These are the stamps I am talking about:

Thank you so so much!! and this is really my last question :see_no_evil:

Hi to everyone,
Is somebody here from Lillehammer?
My Aunt forgot her Mobile Phone during her vacation in a Hotel in Lillehammer. They will not send it, someone must pick it up. Well, thats not easy since we all are located in Germany. She is 82 and want to have it back, since a lot of pictures were made with it.

So we need help and I thought that Postcrossers may be the best to ask :blush:
Address will follow then with Email.
Of course we will reimburse the postal fees!

@Frechdax - Since nobody have replied to you yet: You might want to go to the main site > explore > search and choose Norway, Innlandet, and Lillehammer or surrounding places to find members to ask for help.

Thank you!

Did you find someone to help you?

Yes, solution was found. Thank you! :blush:

1 Like

I hope it’s appropriate to post here to look for Icelandic participant for my Ukraine project; broadly speaking, Scandinavia includes Iceland.

I need someone who can go to a local post office in Iceland on the 24th of August – Ukraine’s national day – to ask for my Ukraine support postcard be postmarked. Anyone here willing to help?

You might have better luck if you browse through the main site and look for members in Iceland who have been active lately and open for private swaps, and then send them a message directly. The previous search for Iceland Postcrossers here have all gone unanswered or taken months to get reply, and it seems you have very little of time to find one. Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. As a newly registered postcrosser, I am not allowed to message people but I have asked other forum members to do so in my name.

Hello everyone! I come to this corner of the forum to ask about how to write the address of a person living in Norway. I have a friend who is studying in Oslo at the moment and she isn’t sure how to write her address. I tried sending her a letter but it got returned because apparently we weren’t supposed to put the residential number? I found a page from the Norwegian post that explained how to write different addresses but I’m still not very certain about it. I noticed those examples always put ‘per post’ but I don’t know if that is something I must put or not. If anyone can help with this I would be ever so grateful!

The Universal Postal Union offers information about how to address mail to all countries. Scroll down to “Postal Addressing Systems (PAS)” in the link to find it.

For Norway it says:

In terms of te following example…
Building code number (introduced by the government to identify the individual residence
where several homes have the same street address)
Bente Letters
Bolignummer H0302
Storgata 15
0161 OSLO
NORWAY

… I’d probably be a bit lazy and write it this way to save some space.
Bente Letters
Storgata 15, H0302
0161 OSLO
NORWAY

Did this when I lived in Ålesund and there were many student appartments on the same address. Theoretically I should include the “H0302” or whatever is my correct number on the mail now as well. But with only 3 flats and well marked mail boxes, it isn’t a problem.

1 Like

Thank you for answering so quickly! And thank you for taking the time to make screenshots! I really appreciate it!

However, I don’t know why I got the letter returned then, because more or less I wrote the same thing. Following the example I wrote:

Bente Letters
Storgata
15, H0302
0161 Oslo
Norway

I put the 15, H0302 in a different line because it didn’t fit in the letter. Was that the problem? Or maybe the problem was my address wasn’t specific enough? Maybe I needed a flat number or something?

The mail sorting machines might have been thrown off by the fact that you had 15, H0302 on a separate line. But then it should have been manually sorted, and a human should understand that it belonged to the previous line. The address sounds detailed enough.

H0302 is the number of the flat.

In the building I live in, there’s 6 entrances, numbered 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11. That is the number right after “Storgata” in the example.
In other cases, the number 15, or another number could refer to an entire building.
And in other cases again, the number 15 could refer to multiple buildings, like the student apartment buildings where I lived. 1 number, 4 buildings. Each building was assigned a letter, A-D. So the address was “Roadname 15A, H0101” for instance.

1 Like

“Per” is a common first name here in Norway. And “post” means “mail”. I guess you saw “Per Post” on the first live of an address that the postal service made up? They use this mange just to provide a generic name for their examples. I understand that it can be confusing for foreigners though.

1 Like

Okey! Thank you so much! I think I have now a better grasp of what is what. I’ll try to send my letter again, I hope I can get it right now! I’ll update if my friend gets it! :hugs:

I am interested in writing to people in Visby. My great-grandfather came emigrated from there to America in the 1870s. His surname was, maybe, Langstrom or Lengstrom. He changed his name after living in America for awhile. He lived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

I would like to visit the city, maybe next year.

I live in Japan now.

This site is new to me so I apologise if I have made any mistakes.

Paul Sayles