In English - Visitor's corner

Okey! Thank you so much! I think I have now a better grasp of what is what. I’ll try to send my letter again, I hope I can get it right now! I’ll update if my friend gets it! :hugs:

I am interested in writing to people in Visby. My great-grandfather came emigrated from there to America in the 1870s. His surname was, maybe, Langstrom or Lengstrom. He changed his name after living in America for awhile. He lived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

I would like to visit the city, maybe next year.

I live in Japan now.

This site is new to me so I apologise if I have made any mistakes.

Paul Sayles

It seems like there aren’t any active Postcrossers from Visby right now (at least not any that lives there) :thinking: I have seen some people getting better luck with getting in contact with Swedes when using other platforms like Facebook or Reddit, so you might want to check those out if you haven’t yet.

In case you are trying to find more information on your great-grandfather: Langström and Lengström are both surnames, thought there are very few people who has it. Långström is somewhat more common. If you are going to visit, I recommend off-season in case you want to have some peace and relaxing. Visby is like the holiday place everybody goes to so it can get crowded there.

Hi,

@friesendeern and I are doing a cruise from Bremerhaven to Honningsvåg from 05.03. to 19.03. with Mein Schiff 3. We’re in the follow cities:
07.03. Nordfjordeid (Eidsfjord)
09.03. to 11.03. Tromsø
12.03. Honningsvåg
14.03. and 15.03. Narvik
17.03. Bergen

Are there postcrossers from Norway who wants to meet us or do you have some sightseeing must haves for us? If we’re doing the sightseeing alone we prefer a german speaking option. But it’s not a must.

In Bergen I recommend visiting Fløyen and/or Ulriken, because of the nice view from the mountains. Of course, if it’s foggy, it might not be that nice.

You can walk up to Fløyen and down again. Jogging shoes or similar is fine as there’s roads all the way up. Or you can take Fløibanen.

You can walk up to Ulriken and down again too. Stone stairs at least part of the way. Another option is Ulriksbanen.

3 Likes

Hi scandinavian people :wink:

I am looking for active members of the Foroer islands

Please send me a PM

Thanks a lot
Ulrich

Hello!
I will be visiting Denmark this year and was wondering about the stamp prices. Every website I looked, said something different and there seemed to be different kind of stamps, but it didnt say what it means…
Could someone please explain how the stamps work in Denmark?

Thank you
Rhodé

What is it you exactly want to know?

The postal agency in Denmark is called PostNord. Here are their price lists: Prices and postage for private senders | PostNord

Postcards goes under “letter 50g” so it costs 36 DKK to send a postcard from Denmark to abroad. They seems to have not updated all the texts on their English site yet, but I compared the PDF to Danish one and the prices are correct. You can use several stamps so long the total value is as much as the correct postage.

Did this help or what is something else you were after?

1 Like

Thank you! I dont know why, but that website didnt come up when I was looking for the stamp prices.

You’re welcome! Happy to know it helped :slight_smile:
Which search words you used? I got bit curious about why you didn’t end up to PostNord right away. The name can be confusing though since it doesn’t really say it is Danish post.

1 Like

Hello everyone! I’m going to be in Norway-Oslo next week. And I have a few questions! Is there any place where we can buy stamps and postcards without being in a postoffice? Its easy to find them? Which are the prices usually? Can we find post boxes easily? Thank you so much!

P.S also a question NOT related to PC. Can you recommend me any Norwegian writer, I’d love to buy a book (if possible with the translation), but i don’t know anyone!! Thank you again, life saviors! <3

It’s actually harder to find a post office than another place selling stamps. Many grocery stores have post counters where one can buy stamps. You’ll typically see the Posten logo outside. You can also check out this map to see where to go.

Letters/postcards up to 20 grams inside Norway: 20 NOK (usually marked “Innland 20g” or “A innland”)
Letters/postcards up to 20 grams inside Europe (the entire Russia and Turkey included): 29 NOK (usually marked “Europa 20 g” or “A Europa”)
Letters/postcards up to 20 grams to the rest of the world: 35 NOK (usually marked “verden 20 g” or “A verden”)

May be easy or many be hard, depending on the area and your luck. The map I linked to above will tell you where you find mail boxes.

Henrik Ibsen, Jo Nesbø. I’m bad at remembering author names, and I don’t know who’s been translated or not anyway.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, it was really helpful :slight_smile:

I used Google, but it might have been that the website did show up, but that it was the Danish one, because the English and Dutch ones were very confusing and probably some outdated :sweat_smile:

Author recommendations: Tove Nilssen, Anne B. Ragde, Torborg Nedreaas. The first two are definitely be translated, the last I have a feeling I’ve seen titles in English.

Maybe @LeishaCamden has some suggestions for you?

Maybe this is a better place for this instead of its own post?

Hello!

I am a 40/F in the United States, always fascinated with my ancestors. I have been tracking my family tree and have found a lot of it in southern Sweden – I plan to travel to there when I am able, and am learning Swedish for fun (and to help with communication when I am there).

I’d like to have a Swedish penpal to help work on my Swedish, and learn more about the culture. Would anyone be interested in exchanging letters? :slight_smile:

Nordmenns, hjelp meg, vær så snill!*

At the end of the month, I’ll make a fleeting trip to Oslo, but in true postcrossing style plan on sending a few postcards in travel mode. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to buy generic touristy postcards in Oslo? Any help you’re able to give will be greatly appreciated!

*sorry if I’ve butchered your language!

@Binnington

There used to be a souvenir shop at the very beginning of Karl Johans Gate from Oslo Central station (Oslo S, the main railway station), but I think that one closed after covid. But you will find some other souvenir shops in Karl Johans Gate, I’m sure.

I’ve also seen many touristic postcards in the first floor (the street level) of Østbanehallen (still in Oslo S), in the kiosk Narvesen. You might also have a chance of finding touristic postcards in the book shops at Karl Johan.

Also, you have the museums that sell postcards related to the art. Nasjonalmuseet, Munch-museet, and so on (I’m not too familiar with the museums, sorry).

Another tip for non-touristic postcards, is Tronsmo Bokhandel in Universitetsgata. They have many unique postcards that I have yet to see in other stores in Norway.

Enjoy Oslo and your trip to Norway :smile:

1 Like

Excellent; thank you so much, @postboo! :slight_smile:

1 Like