How many postcards do you keep 'in stock'?

I began buying here and there. Whenever I come across a store that sells postcards, I keep on doing it. Once, I found a second hand offer and I bought it too and, last but not least, my partner gave me an 100 space themed postcard box. I’m using them of course, but I am also exchanging packs of three blank postcards for other blank postcard trios. That is really boosting variety.

4 Likes

I try to rotate among three categories so that my wall looks more varied, although I can’t control the order received exactly: local tourist cards, ones I’ve made from my own photos, and other non-view cards.

2 Likes

I try to buy cards whenever I visit other places. I’ve found a lot of unique and vintage cards at secondhand stores. I buy some packs online and I sometimes buy repeats at my local grocery store, as I live in a tourist area. I guess I have all sorts of cards from local tourist cards, tourist cards for random locations, art prints, vintage cards, illustrations, and more!

6 Likes

If I find “bulk lots” on ebay I buy them. Usually they are good quality cards, some end up in the box for “givaways” because of strange formats or pictures that are just not appealing. If I buy local cards I usually buy 10 and all of my sent cards are uploaded. Recently I bought 50 Harry Potter cards and sadly they are all really small - half postcard size. When I send cards in envelopes I add some extra ones and the recipients are usually happy…

Presently in my “to send box” are about 250 cards,

4 Likes

I have pretty much depleted my town’s supply of good postcards. I have some duplicates, but want to be like most on here that seem to never send the same card twice. If I do, I’ll wait a bit, so they don’t show on any of my sent pages at the same time. Also, I didn’t know I could go online and buy them. Thought I was at the mercy of my town’s tourist shops getting in new stock. Are there any good sites for buying them?

1 Like

You could try checking here:

2 Likes

I’ve learned to carefully check the size of postcards when ordering as to not be surprised

5 Likes

I buy multiple view cards with the same designs and I don’t mind sending them repeatedly because I write different messages at the back with recently released thematic stamps.

2 Likes

I have around 3,000 or 4,000ish. I just collected a big stack (3-4 inches tall) to give away at a meetup tomorrow. It felt nice to declutter! I am on a “no buy” for my postcarding hobby until I use up my inventory (except for meetup cards).

6 Likes

Update: here’s the container where i store my to-be-sent cards.

5 Likes

I have about 300 in hand… but more on the way. There always seems to be another opportunity to write a postcard, either to pen pals or for Postcrossing, so I’m sure I will be able to use them eventually!

Oh my! i just counted all the blank postcards and i have total of 925. A bit grazy, consider that i started this hobby dec -22 :smile:

Most of them are from second hand/drift stores, some even Facebook groups where people sell new/blank postcards, some from the different kind of stores/markets, museum shops, online stores. I should not buy anymore :rofl: But it is part of the fun, right?!

8 Likes

I usually don’t have much. Maybe 10 postcards at most for 2-3 months. :slight_smile:
But I try to keep different themes whenever possible.

3 Likes

Honestly, this is a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess), but I’d say about 5k. Quite a few leftover meetup cards (maybe a fifth of the total). I try to keep all of our states on hand as well as many thematics. I like to keep a variety of themes on hand so when I read a bio I can send a card that will resonate with the recipient. One easy way to sort and store is photo storage cases. There is an arts and crafts chain store in America called Michael’s that has the, and they make finding the right card quick and easy here’s a link:

Photo storage case

3 Likes

As I will print my photography works into postcard, just printed 24 last time.
I refilled by printing 200 this time

Last time I’ve been countin was in Decembre 2022 - 700+something.
Meanwhile I tried to reduce the stack … and so far ended up with about 50 more cards than before, I guess. :smile: It’s a bit like cards are attracting more cards, if you want it or not … :wink:

5 Likes

Wow, I’m impressed with some large stash numbers. I have approximately 200 and that includes a boxed card set of 100. I thought I had a large stash but now I feel I can go out and purchase more.

3 Likes

I have between 7,000 and 8,000. Probably closer to 8K.

Plus an additional 1,000-ish suitable only for the Taking out the Trash Tag.

Just this morning my hubby asked if I was running low because he’d noticed that I hadn’t bought any in a while!! :two_hearts:

10 Likes

I‘m at around 800, I guess. Including a 2 Postcard boxes, a couple of postcard books and a box full of individual cards.
Plus a ton of greeting cards and even more envelopes…

4 Likes

I think 500-600! I started in April, and bought a few box sets which make up the majority of my collection since I buy 100 pc box sets XD

3 Likes