Hard to Please?

Well, I think reporting is ok and good in this kind of situation, especially if the “I won’t be happy…” -part is some normal cards.

Reporting will help everyone who get their address after you (and the profile owner, so they will appear not so demanding).

3 Likes

Yes, it is. There are just a few demanding profiles, but they can be very annoying, particularly to newbies and if the staff can help them to make their profile more friendly and less demanding, that would be helpful for the next newbie who pulls their address.

6 Likes

I actually remember getting an address, that I had nothing to send to, and I wrote about it to the Finnish forum. Many members knew this, and told even, this will be nasty if you they don’t like what you send.
I send something, and she complained to me, that their mail was misdelivered, and that my hand writing was too small :smile: I was told, this will be the only time you interact with this person. But no.
I got this person again!
I just sent very basic card, with only happy postcrossing written, with big letters, but this card they liked and wrote a nice happy hurray :slight_smile:

I’m still, years after, a little mixed feelings about this experience. If members knew about this, no one complained? Or reported? It was thousands of cards she got.
But also happy, the “angry” person also had the nice side, very easy to please, when they liked the just Happy Postcrossing message.

It didn’t occur for me to report it, because I thought Postcrossing team is not interested, or they are very distant characters somewhere unreachable.

But, of course they want this to be a good experience, so now I feel it’s always best to report if it for me seems clearly against the rules.

4 Likes

To me I just send whatever postcard I have that’s part of the fun of being on this is the mystery of what you will get

2 Likes

This may not be the place to ask, but can you get the same postcrosser more than once?

Yes, if they have multiple accounts.

Here is a discussion about multiple profile postcrossers:

2 Likes

I got weird profile.

She said she loves travel but due to health issue she cant travel too much. She’s lucky to find postcrossing as substitute of travel.

Her wishlist: no tourist card please

Dont you want to travel via postcrossing? :smile: :smile: :smile:

12 Likes

It may be petty, but I’d be tempted to send a boring card on purpose.

I don’t think that it’s weird, probably because I prefer non-tourist cards myself. Getting postcards from all over the world, with the stamps, and messages, and possibly local art, would seem like travelling. If I only wanted to see what places looked like, well, that’s what Google images is for. Or Youtube. Having the physical card that came from another place is like having a little bit of the world in your hand.

9 Likes

Well, for me it is a bit weird - on stamp and message I agree with you, but if I want to travel, then I want to see what the place looks like :smiley: Art I can always check out online :smiley: Only if I see local views would I feel like I had travelled to that place.

But we are all different and different things are important for us when we travel, so thank you for sharing your perspective, that explains a little bit the profile @yudi mentioned perhaps :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Perhaps travel restrictions due to health problems upset her so much that she does not want to receive tourist cards.
I have a similar situation, and although I am not against tourist cards and love postcards with photographs of different countries and interesting places, traveling theme sometimes hurts me, so in direct exchanges, if they ask me what to write, I answer: anything, except your travel stories.
I would really love to see both my country and the whole world, but it’s impossible, and I often feel sad because of this.

8 Likes

Today I read in a profile someone who loves to receive: ‘ old advertise reprints ’. But in the same profile they also request: ‘ I prefer not to receive advertisement cards, please’.
:sweat_smile::joy_cat::crazy_face:

1 Like

I thought the same thing, perhaps it’s just too depressing for this person to receive travel and tourist cards. It seems doubtful to me they are making this request to be difficult. Perhaps they are trying to avoid reminders of how limited their life is now, presumably to avoid the emotional pain this brings.
I have not traveled by plane since before the pandemic, due to ongoing health issues caused by surgery in 2018. So their request is relatable even though I like some tourist cards, as well as other kinds.

3 Likes

But her wishlist includes popular card series like GF postallove and world cloud. Those cards shows view card of each countries. Doesnt it remind her of traveling?

1 Like

It’s hard to explain. In such cases there are many different nuances. As I already said, it’s not the postcards themselves that make me sad, but the stories about the trips. Everyone has their own personal cockroaches in their heads :slight_smile:
I just wanted to say that this case does not seem strange to me because it is similar to mine.

2 Likes

But those cards are different. A lot of ad cards are simply boring and strange, but these old reprints are always great, they show a piece of history. While I don’t exclude (modern) ad cards I not very fond of (most of) them but on the other hand I’m always excited to get an reprint of an old ad card.

5 Likes

That’s what I thought too. I looked at their favorites and it was a mix of both.

I love my fountain pens and collect pen postcards. I get excited when I find ad cards for pens or inks!!

4 Likes

I remember once, years ago, getting a profile of someone who only wanted cards of living members of non-British royal families. Another wanted cards of movies or TV shows not from the US. Since I live in the US, those categories are almost impossible for me to track down here. I think I went with the most generic local cards I had because I figured I had nothing that would come close.

3 Likes

I am sending one to someone whose profile made me a bit uncomfortable, but I think I did a good job. I refrained from mentioning that “I will tell you what I think of your card” sounded more like a threat to me, though I think she meant she writes much more than just “Thank you”.

(Not a native speaker, and I think there may be a cultural element as well)

5 Likes