Hard to Please?

Today I read in a profile someone who loves to receive: ‘ old advertise reprints ’. But in the same profile they also request: ‘ I prefer not to receive advertisement cards, please’.
:sweat_smile::joy_cat::crazy_face:

1 Like

I thought the same thing, perhaps it’s just too depressing for this person to receive travel and tourist cards. It seems doubtful to me they are making this request to be difficult. Perhaps they are trying to avoid reminders of how limited their life is now, presumably to avoid the emotional pain this brings.
I have not traveled by plane since before the pandemic, due to ongoing health issues caused by surgery in 2018. So their request is relatable even though I like some tourist cards, as well as other kinds.

3 Likes

But her wishlist includes popular card series like GF postallove and world cloud. Those cards shows view card of each countries. Doesnt it remind her of traveling?

1 Like

It’s hard to explain. In such cases there are many different nuances. As I already said, it’s not the postcards themselves that make me sad, but the stories about the trips. Everyone has their own personal cockroaches in their heads :slight_smile:
I just wanted to say that this case does not seem strange to me because it is similar to mine.

2 Likes

But those cards are different. A lot of ad cards are simply boring and strange, but these old reprints are always great, they show a piece of history. While I don’t exclude (modern) ad cards I not very fond of (most of) them but on the other hand I’m always excited to get an reprint of an old ad card.

5 Likes

That’s what I thought too. I looked at their favorites and it was a mix of both.

I love my fountain pens and collect pen postcards. I get excited when I find ad cards for pens or inks!!

4 Likes

I remember once, years ago, getting a profile of someone who only wanted cards of living members of non-British royal families. Another wanted cards of movies or TV shows not from the US. Since I live in the US, those categories are almost impossible for me to track down here. I think I went with the most generic local cards I had because I figured I had nothing that would come close.

3 Likes

I am sending one to someone whose profile made me a bit uncomfortable, but I think I did a good job. I refrained from mentioning that “I will tell you what I think of your card” sounded more like a threat to me, though I think she meant she writes much more than just “Thank you”.

(Not a native speaker, and I think there may be a cultural element as well)

5 Likes

In that case, you could suggest her a better wording after she registers your postcard. If it is a language issue, I am sure she will appreciate your input. I would.

5 Likes

I sent a card to a profile, that honestly, ticked me off. It was a long list of very specific demands. I have well over a thousand cards in my stash and I didn’t have a single card to match their demands. I sent what I had that came close, but I know they will just toss the card. For that reason, my message to them was very generic and brief. I despised wasting the $1.50 stamp plus the price of the postcard on someone who clearly didn’t care who I was or the message I was writing. They were a collector and the most demanding one I’ve seen to date. People like that take all the fun out of PostCrossing for me. I had more cards to write out after that one, but I had to take a break because I was so annoyed. I realize they aren’t worth my time and energy, but that’s just the thing. Ever since my accident, it takes me a lot of time and energy to write out one card. Never mind the financial aspect. So to see a profile with such blatant disrespect for the sender, I get ticked I had to waste the effort on them. It’s over and done now, but still. Be grateful for what you receive. PostCrossing is a gift… not a right.

16 Likes

Those are my “horror” postcrossers, too.
I really put so much effort in chosing a nice card and writing a lot, so that I can get in touch with somebody, but when I have those profiles I mentally give up, write something quite generic and it’s done (or I’m done) :woman_shrugging:t2:

I do not exist for fulfilling other people’s (often rare and expensive) collections where you can clearly see she or he doesn’t have any interest in the true meaning of Postcrossing - get connected, but only in the cards they long for.

And as a disabled, chronic ill person, too, I don’t have the power to get along with a lot of these profiles; they make me angry and sad and make this hobby sometimes miserable for me.

7 Likes

Such picky profiles without interest in what I write are a pain in the neck to me as well.

Lately I registered a post-“card", which was thin as a piece of paper and just two meaningless proverbs on it, nothing personal. And after registering that, I saw that the sender was quite picky. I think they themselves would have tossed and binned the kind of “card” that they sent to me.

11 Likes

Totally agree!
And therefore I never ever let:

Because outrageous and demanding profiles are not worth it to let my joy of this hobby be ruined and annoying me. I don’t have the power and energy beside my daily life to cope with such profiles. I just ignore it and send a card I would be happy with (of course I take care if there are any phobias).
And of course I try to distinguish if it’s really just demanding or maybe lost in translation.

7 Likes

I try to move swiftly pass the “hard to please” postcrosser with what I can do and onto the next postcrosser. I’m trying my best to spend the least amount of time with people/situations that are unpleasant.

10 Likes

Slightly off topic, but I’m always disappointed to see ‘no stickers or washi tape’ on people’s profiles. For me, decorating the back of the postcard is part of the fun of PostCrossing. I feel a little deflated when I am not able to do it.

I realise I could ignore their instruction, but that would feel rather rude & I would be concerned that they would then put the card in the bin/trash, which would be a waste of my time, money & good wishes :frowning:

15 Likes

I feel you. :sweat_smile: Those profiles are one example of boring profiles. Decorating cards with tapes and stickers brings joy to me. I think people who don’t like decorations are too serious and mostly collectors.

8 Likes

i got 2 of those profiles shortly after each other a while ago, really took the fun out of it. i’m sitting here surrounded by my boxes with washi and stickers and you’re telling me i can’t use it? :sob:
i get not wanting washi over the card description (i don’t like that myself) but a card with only text and a stamp feels so naked to me.

10 Likes

Oh I also got this person (the stamp thing was too familiar)! And of course, an empty hurray message. I figured it was because I had to send something on their no list as I hadn’t built up many supplies when I drew their address. It was disappointing but all my other officials so far have responded, so I just thought of it as a fluke

2 Likes

It’s really easy to find the person you’d sent to and I personally don’t think her profile is very demanding. Yes, it’s a bit special and her focus might be the stamps but she is writing “if possible” and besides her few NO’s she has many easy to fulfill wishes.

4 Likes