Hard to Please?

I once received a hurray message where the receiver actually said "I already received this card, but thanks anyway. " :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

How thankful and nice - not! :frowning_face:

4 Likes

I donā€™t say much in my profile, donā€™t have a wish list. But with the little that I have in my profile, I get many pleasant surprises. So leaving it up to the sender is not a disadvantage. On more than one occasion I got such a great card that I was tempted to actually add the motif/subject matter on a wish list but decided to continue to ā€œgo rogueā€. I see empty profiles as an invitation to open my mind and go for it.

And frankly, after drawing three cards in a row with many demands, words written in caps (donā€™t people realize that comes across as yelling to some?), empty profiles are like a breeze of fresh air.

16 Likes

Ugh, that is just rude. Iā€™d be tempted to report that message. But I am rather grumpy at the moment because not only did I draw more than one demanding profile but one clearly stated they are more interested in stamps and therefore prefer envelopes. Since the person also stated they make art with used stamps I imagine them cutting up cards to make art with the stamps.

I know I get over it, but itā€™s been a ā€œroughā€ 24 hours on postcrossing.

4 Likes

Please consider reporting those demanding profiles, as itā€™s not allowed to make demands.
But not all do know that caps is shouting, you can tell that in the card. ( I think itā€™s hard to read, if the whole text is in caps.)
Although some prefer writing please and/or no in caps, to get attention. That doesnā€™t bother me at all and it helps, if the profile has some length,

4 Likes

Iā€™d send them a card with a postage code instead of a stamp, so they do not need to destroy the card! :japanese_ogre:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a new way to look at empty profiles, thank you!

This kind of demanding profile makes one want to ignore all instructions and simply send whatever!

5 Likes

You know, that is a great idea. But the card - with stamps - is already on its way but I keep your suggestion in mind if I come across a ā€œfor me itā€™s about the stampsā€ profile.

1 Like

For a moment I was really tempted but felt awkward reporting three profiles at once. I began second-guessing myself, thinking I was too sensitive or easily annoyed. I still have three open slots but decided to wait a few more days before requesting the next address.

1 Like

I tend to do the same. If thereā€™s a long list that consists mostly of ā€œdonā€™ts,ā€ I just send a generic card depicting some aspect of my city or state.

1 Like

Maybe thatā€™s an idea for a card designed for people with demanding profiles; one with text on the front that simply says ā€œWhatever.ā€

9 Likes

You can still report those. I think now you can read those with more neutral view, since you sent the cards already, and you donā€™t ā€œhave toā€ take it personally (like you were to send a card).

I know the feeling though, I remember sometimes reporting few profiles and thinking am I the only one who sees something wrong with these :smile: (but of course some one else can have reported - they just didnā€™t have time to react).

And lately I reported a profile clearly being not about them, but mainly their shop, telling how they take credit or debit card, and even ā€œif you donā€™t know how to pay by credit or debitā€ and link to directions :smile:

For some reason I thought, am I being too sensitive, but now reading that profile, I was not. Itā€™s clearly an advertisement profile. And on the other hand, if I was too sensitive, the team will decide what to do with the profile I reported.

3 Likes

Va-Pensiero I also really dislike getting the ā€˜stamps onlyā€™ requests. Sometimes thinly veiled as a wish for postcards, but I usually use my most common stamp for those.

1 Like

I had one profile too, where I thought itā€™s about stamps for the person. But why not? It teaches me to be not too sensitive with the future of my sent cards. And as the person is a stamp collector, well I sent a stamp-motive. - And got a very nice hurray mail.

6 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me. I thought about it and decided to report. It feels strange but if postcrossing takes it up, they will do so in the politest way possible.

I understand what you are saying but I believe that postcrossing is not a site for stamp collectors. I am fine to look out for interesting cards, a variety of cards to please as many as possible because that is one the site is about. I donā€™t like to feel pressured or awkward because I only have generic stamps or, like one day, the clerk at the post office smacked a digital code on the card.

I am also aware that not everyone can collect and organize all received cards and may discard some - at least after a while. But if someone tells you right they are going to chop up your card to use the stamp for mail art so better send it via envelope (which means additional costs to me), it is disheartening. And as I mentioned I drew three profiles in a row that were very demanding, one clearly said it is about the stamps and a second one asked for pretty stamps. Once in while I can ignore but three in a row is a bit too much.

7 Likes

I just pulled a recent profile that said: ā€œI expect you to ā€¦ā€ followed by a stamp-related demand that I couldnā€™t meet. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had demanding requests but today I
Got an address to send an official card, the profile was only 2 short paragraphs, stated some interest in some themesā€¦ But here is the weird part.
It stated ā€œIā€™m not good in English, please donā€™t use written Englishā€
I obviously donā€™t speak their language, so I used Google translate to write: ā€œsorry I donā€™t speak _______, so I will send you some stickersā€. And so I did.

9 Likes

Best idea ever :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like