General Meetup Discussions

1 - this is definitely acceptable. We’ve had meet ups in community rooms in libraries, where there is a very low booking fee, and everyone paid a couple of dollars each to cover the cost. Just be upfront about this, so everyone knows.

2 - we generally have two hours for our meet ups, and have them in a place where people could bring some food if they wanted, although most don’t.

3 - I don’t usually do this, but would for anyone who was anxious about the plan (probably phone number for text messages is easier). When I post a meet up notice, I always say “be sure to check here on the day, in case of last minute changes”. It hasn’t been an issue so far.

2 Likes

Thank you for your insight!

Looking for recommendations on where to order cheap postcards. Just looked at Vistaprint and they were $75 for 500 and then $125 MORE if I wanted something on the back (partition lines typical to postcards). Eek!

1 Like

I used GotPrint.com a few years ago and found them quite reasonable, I think it was something like $.02 per card. I print the lines on the back with my printer at home. I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Where do I post a proposed meetup?

1 Like

How do you filter the acitve people in your region?

How would you find people in your region who are active?

@0308CHINA
Here is not the right place for your offer.
Please use #trades-requests-offers for it.

On the main postcrossing page (not the forum), go to Explore - Search and you can filter members by location and the time when they last logged in

1 Like

There were (unpermissible) case where the participation quota was already filled with friends of the organisers when the meetup was opened on forum, is the opposite pattern permissible?

In other words, this is what I mean:

I rented a room with a capacity of 10 people for a postcrossing meetup and invited participants. But only 5 people applied.
So we invited people who were not doing Postcrossing, to join our meetup, using SNS like twitter or Instagram.

Of course I’m going to explain non-postcrosser participants what Postcrossing is.

2 Likes

@paulo @meiadeleite
Hello! I am going to organize an event\meetup in Georgia.
Will you give me a chance to reach my fellow postcrossers via email?
( I’ll need some kind of “Geo-targeted” notification at some point to understand the demand)

Can someone point me to a resource for how to apply the PC logo to the postcard design on a pc? Im familiar and understand the logo rules, but not the application of the logo. Thank you.

Is it a question on “how to use layers in photo-editing software” topic ? @dictionary

Not really. I dont have any software other than a stock Windows 10 pc. I need to know how to properly affix the logo on the postcard image - especially considering the sizing/skew rules.

You can try pulling the image into PowerPoint, and then dropping the logo as another independent image on top of it. You’ll then be able to size and position the logo independently. Once you have it the way you want it, screen capture the whole thing and use that screen capture as the image for your card. The major problem with this method is that you may end up with borders, or have to crop the final screen captured image to get it to the proper dimensions for whatever sized card you intend to send. If you allow for some areas around the edges that you don’e care about that won’t matter. This is a very clunky way to go about it, but it works.

Alternatively, many printing sites (VistaPrint is one example, not shilling for them, but I have had success there) offer graphic design tools/assistance.

1 Like

Thank you. I think I"ve done the same with MS Paint, and using Vistaprint it looks okay. Would love to see a way to get a proof before ordering, though, that way the actual design would be in your hands before committing.

1 Like

MS Paint is poorly working with raster images.
I would gladly recommend something like Photoshop (Subscriptionware) or GIMP (Free Software, but less intuitive)

Printing Agencies are usually asking for a Sketch or some Vector-Sourced file to start working with it.
The same time - most of the print offices offer “design” service for their customers

I have extra signed Meetup postcards from the Feb 25 Meetup in California. Message me if you want one for your collection and I will mail it, no exchange.

For obvious reasons I cannot search the word ‘stamp’ and find what I’m looking for!

I am planning to attend my first meetup for World Postcard Day. As part of the day, I am expecting to ‘sign’ lots of cards, and that some people do this using an inkstamp.

Please can you share examples of the inkstamps you’ve seen on your own cards so I can starting designing/ordering?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

@Jostar

2 Likes