Forum update (Discourse 3.0)

Reply for checking if I set it correct :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

Could it be that the bookmark had a timer/reminder date and that that has passed?

I donā€™t make any timed bookmarks, I added few yesterday with option ā€œafter youā€™re notified keep bookmark and clear the reminderā€ and today theyā€™re gone.

Are you going to bookmarks by clicking in the Bookmarks button at the top

or, by visiting your bookmarks in your profile?

The first one takes you the bookmarks you have within the category you are currently in ā€” it acts as filter view for that category. That can work fine if you are in the homepage, but otherwise, the second one is where all of your bookmarks are.

Is that it perhaps?

1 Like

I donā€™t understand what that means but I think thatā€™s it (at least for me). When I click the bookmarks button beside the notification menu, I can see the ā€œlostā€ bookmarked topics again.

Hopefully thatā€™s the case for Sonia too.
Thank you for the answer, Paulo.

P.S. : I personally find the bookmarks button on the front more convenient. Too bad itā€™s apparently not showing all of my bookmarked topics.

1 Like

All these are navigation controls regarding where you are on the forum. If you go to New, youā€™ll see the new topics within the present category only (in this example, thatā€™s the #postcrossing:general-topics). Same goes for the Unread, Top and Bookmarks: they all act as ā€œfiltersā€ to what you see within the current category. If you are in a different category, they will show different numbers and show different things because they depend on where you are.

The same goes for the bookmarks button: by clicking there, it shows you topics you have bookmarked only within the current category. If you happen to be on the homepage, then I think that is nearly same as your bookmarks because filtering your bookmarks at the ā€œtopā€ then youā€™ll probably get them all.

I totally get it that itā€™s perhaps not the most intuitive thing. But once you get wind of it, itā€™s pretty handy to browse the New/Unread/Bookmarks relevant only within a category instead of having all bookmarks clumped up together in a single list.

Mind that this was not a change with this update ā€” it was like that before.

The quickest ways to reach the actual (full) list of bookmarks, I think, is the user menu:

or by clicking your own avatar (to reach your profile) and then bookmarks on the bottom left.

For those on desktops devices with a full keyboard, thereā€™s also a handy key shortcut: g followed by b (go bookmarks). And if this seems useful, hit ? for a bunch more. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have now become a victim of disappearing bookmarks as well - I noticed it on the ā€œtalk topicā€ in the German subsection, Quasseln Part 5.

In the morning, it was still in my bookmark list, now it isnā€™t, the bookmark sign next to the topic name is also gone. However, when I go into the topic, at the bottom it still says ā€œEdit Bookmarkā€ instead of just ā€œBookmarkā€ like in a not bookmarked topic. I tried editing and saving it again, didnā€™t help.

but
obraz

I arrive to my bookmarks from ā€œLatestā€:

That is not how you find all your bookmarks: you need to go here instead. Please check what I wrote above about this.

I get it - but I always get to the Latest from the homepage, I want to see my bookmarks in one list, checking them category per category is too time-consuming.

So since I already am in the ā€œtopā€ category, theoretically I should be able to see everything, right? Also, when I was in the Latest, I was able to see Quasseln 5, almost at the top as it had just been posted to - and it didnā€™t appear in my Bookmarks anyway.

Until yesterday I never had problems with bookmarks and have been arriving to them in the same way for months.

You donā€™t need to check category by category if you donā€™t want to. Thereā€™s a single list ā€” but not the one you are reaching via the Bookmarks button at the top. Can you check if the bookmarks that are missing are on your bookmarks?

I think so, in theory. Although I have not double-checked this myself and itā€™s tricky to reproduce without mirror the same bookmarks.

Mind that Iā€™m interpreting your ā€œTopā€ as the frontpage, and not this navigation Top button:

Hum. One can bookmark topics but also specific posts. Can you compare the frontpage bookmarks page with your actual bookmarks to see if thereā€™s a pattern about the difference? Perhaps one only lists topics and the other lists all bookmarks?

Ahh, I see now why I never use the actual bookmarks page - it just doesnā€™t work the way I want to! And I think I discovered this way back in 2020, thatā€™s why I switched to ā€œGot Front pageā€ ā†’ ā€œClick Latestā€ ā†’ ā€œClick Bookmarksā€

The topics in actual bookmark page are shown in order I added the bookmarks (I thinkā€¦ the column name ā€œUpdatedā€ suggests something else but looking at topics, I think my assumption is correct) and what I want to see are my bookmarked topics sorted by latest activity. Hence going through ā€œLatestā€.

I am beginning to think that my problem is slightly different - it seems that for some reason, the forum stops recognizing ā€œQuasseln 5ā€ as my bookmark - it disappears from the ā€œLatestā€ list and loses that bookmark icon, only when I go inside the topic itself, in the topic controls it is still recognized as my bookmark.

I went into ā€œEdit Bookmarkā€, deleted it, re-added it and it was back there. But then, after a few hours and no forum activity in that time, I had to do it again and for now itā€™s OK. However, I never checked in the actual bookmark page if it was there all the time or not.

Letā€™s see if it happens again, I will then check if it still shows up in the bookmark page or not.

Iā€™ve just noticed that the Notify option is gone as a mean of sharing a topic. Is that due to the update? I really miss that feature!

Hadnā€™t notice yet, but it seems to have been removed due to being abused easily and also for very few actually using it, it seems.

I agree, it was kinda handy. Next best alternative is to do a @mentionā€¦ or send a PM w/ with.

1 Like

What a pity, but thanks for checking anyway.

I am also experiencing disappearing bookmarked topics that have no time limit. Iā€™ve just been clicking on the Postcrossing logo to reach all of my bookmarks. Iā€™ll play around with the suggestions above.

Iā€™m still experiencing it as well. Interestingly enough it happens only with several topics, namely:
Send me a card from my album of favourites tag #1, Send me a card from my album of favourites tag #3 disappear.
And Send me a card from my album of favourites tag #2 is showing up, maybe it has something to do with the names of topics being almost the same?
Also here, the deleted ones are:
Iā€™m offering you can choose tag #2, Show the card you offer
all while Iā€™m offering you can choose tag #1 stays visible in my bookmarks.

1 Like

I noticed the ā€œdisappearing bookmarkā€ on an RR topic this time. Same as before, it was gone from the bookmark list but inside the topic, the bookmark was still there. I had to delete it and add it again, and only then did the topic appear again in my bookmark list (viewed from the ā€œLatestā€ perspective).

Sadly, I forgot to check if the missing bookmark was also missing from the proper bookmark page, so the test is still incomplete.

For me, itā€™s the RRā€™s I host monthly. Seems to be happening to January & February lately. So weird! But, I can deal with it for now, just by going into the category and finding them.

Iā€™m really fed up with these disappearing bookmarks. Almost every day I have to search for at least one missing thread, today two including this one.
This is not a feature - itā€™s a bug!

2 Likes

I searched ā€œbookmark disappearsā€ and found here. I have to say the single list works bad for me, as it doesnā€™t show the most recent poster and doesnā€™t listed by last activity time, which helps a lot when my bookmarks are mostly tag threads and I rarely check New, Latest and Top. So Iā€™m actually using Tracking as bookmark. :sneezing_face:
Also the single list includes my bookmarked messages (I use as to-do list), soā€¦just a mass.

and, is it possible to search username in message box? I found itā€™s difficult to tell someone I got her certain card after a month.

1 Like