Finding the Forum Guidelines

I’ve had a look around, but can’t find anywhere which warns/tells people that their ‘private messages’ are not private (to admins). It doesn’t bother me, but it might bother some people?

It says in the Rules/FAQ:

• The forum includes a messaging system for members to use. The messages are private, but please note that they can be seen by staff members for moderation purposes (for instance, when they are reported by a member).

and you have to agree with forum rules before use the forum for the 1st time

2 Likes

OK, but where are the Rules/FAQ? I don’t remember seeing any of that when I posted here for the first time?

hamburger menu:

I’m almost 100% sure that you need to accept terms of service the 1st time you access the forum… but maybe someone can tell you better! :wink:

4 Likes

You’re right :slight_smile:

I’ve seen some hidden FAQ in my time, but that really takes the biscuit and I wonder how many other people know that that is there? It seems I joined on Oct 27 (after multiple clicking around), but there is no email anywhere including deleted items, to invite me to accept TOS. I was never on the ‘old’ forum. I’d say this is a bug or something. (If you’re a member of postcrossing, just click on New Forum and you’re in without ever having to see that.)

1 Like

the first time you enter this forum you don’t see any topics but the FAQ / guidelines, you need to accept before you can read / write here.

1 Like

This is the ‘hamburger’ menu for me.

As you can see, no FAQ.
I have no memory of accepting anything to join here but I’ll leave it for now. As I said, messages are not private, which doesn’t bother me but might bother some other people who almost certainly are unaware of this.

I’ve clicked on the guidelines, Terms of Service, and Privacy links. I don’t see any way to “agree.” Does reading them indicate my agreement? Does it take a while to “register” that I’ve read them and will the FAQ link appear after that? I’d really like to see them!! Thanks.

When you first opened the forum, the rules should have popped up. You must have agreed, else you won’t be able to see any topic.

Guidelines and FAQ means the same on this forum.

Well, that certainly makes sense…duh! :crazy_face:

So…FAQs not on my hamburger menu. I did find the User’s Guide which is helpful.

1 Like

You can find the FAQ / Guidelines over here:

When you haven’t opened them before, they are found on top of the hamburger menu (just as you may see at @SailingBy’s screenshot):

Screenshot

My hamburger menu. The Forum Guidelines have been read, reviewed.

Screenshot 2020-11-19 083621

I’m not getting it, I guess. Not the first time someone’s pulled their hair out trying to explain something to me. :upside_down_face:

Now I’m curious! Why do yours menus show Forum Guidelines but my show FAQ?! :thinking:

What’s your interface language? I have English (default). I see it as Forum Guidelines on PC and mobile.

1 Like

also English…

I have German as interface language and FAQ in the hamburger menu

Okay, I get it. Who has the name Ines have FAQ because they’re special!!! :crazy_face:

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: How to create summary/detail blocks

Without going into too much detail, Discourse comes by default with a FAQ but we have customise it for Postcrossing so we have changed it on the menu to “Forum Guidelines” which is more appropriate. However, we only have an easy way to change text on the default language of the forum (US English) and didn’t change it for other languages.

The plot twist in your case is that since you signed up, you have changed your account default interface language from (default) (which is at the very top of the list and is US English) to just English. “Same” language, but not as trivial for us to edit it.

4 Likes