Your favorite pen to write postcards?

Mostly I’ve been using extra-fine Sharpies (well, technically a Staedler permanent Lumocolor) for writing my postcards.

Bu-u-ut… I think I’ll load one of my fountain pens with some Noodler’s waterproof ink, and try that instead. I find that even an extra-fine Sharpie-style pen produces too thick a line for my purposes. Also, I love fountain pens in general, so it seems a shame not to use them for Postcrossing!

Did want to add though that I also use a yellow fluorescent pen to highlight my Postcrossing card ID. That way it’s extra easy to spot! (Or, “them” - since I always write the ID number twice.)

3 Likes

I love gritter pens!

16 Likes

I use my Copic SP illustrating fineliners since I KNOW they’re waterproof as I use them for my watercolour pieces :joy:. Expensive pens, however I already have them on hand and they’re the re-fillable metal kind, so why not?

I have some beautiful fountain pens with lovely colours, but unfortunately the ink isn’t waterproof and I’m worried it wouldn’t arrive at the destination looking nice.

2 Likes

sakura pigma is the best :innocent:

1 Like

I like bold writing. :writing_hand: I feel extra fine pens all feels scratchy and I don’t like that.

Great thread. Gives me an overview what exists and is recommended.

Usually I use fountain pen for my letters as I don’t like thin writing and prefer soft bold writing. But on postcards there is not much space available, therefore, I use a

Pentel Slicci 0,3.

It’s refillable, I think. Somewhere I have two Muji Gel Ink Ballpoints 0,38…

I have one or two of these. They also have text markers.

They somehow remind me of the Marauder’s Map in Harry Potter. :blush:

I like using stabilo pens for the postcard ID and address, but they’re not too good for writing the actual message. I use BIC pens for the message because the ink flows better (although I always get ink smear on my hand haha). So nothing fancy, but it works for me :))

1 Like

I am using Mitsubishi waterproof 0.38 series.

4 Likes

It depends on the card stock for me. I send out a variety of postcards, so I will use different types of pens for different cards.

For the glossier postcards -My choices are the Uni-ball Jetstream pen and the Staedtler Lumocolor marker pen. I also use the Monami oil-based markers too. These are rain-proof so the words + Postcard-ID remains intact. Plus, ink on glossy postcards smudges really easily so I tend to avoid those. Sharpie pens work too! I use these pens to write my glossy cards.

For the matte-backed postcards and letters - I use fountain pen ink! Matte-backed cards absorb ink a lot better so I do use my Kakuno fountain pen on them. I
use the Iroshizuku ink (they are my go-to inks despite the hefty price tag) - favourite colours include Yamabudo and Fuyu-shogun. I do know these inks aren’t rain-proof (but they are a huge joy to write in) so I will always write the address, date, name and Postcard-ID in oil-based smudge-proof ink.

7 Likes

In the beginning I used a ballpoint pen someone gave me that didn’t smudge.
Recently I started using my Sakura Pigma pens. They are waterproof, are easy to write with and dry quickly. They can be used on all postcards, glossy or not.

2 Likes

What fountain pens do you use?

Jinxing28
Hero616
Hero100
Hero007
Chung hwa

4 Likes

I have a Sailor 1911L and ProGear that I reach for most of the time (I have more than 5 pens but I never have them all inked at the same time). :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I have some fountain pens too and I do not have all of them inked all the time either :). I actually finally got around to cleaning some of my pens that needed to be cleaned for a few months to be honest. :/. They are all resting right now and the 2 pens I still have inked have cartridges in them not converters. I do not count my 2 pilot varsity’s just because they are inked and once you are done you can throw them away.

2 Likes

Good collection of Chinese fountain pen. I use sometimes Hero 616 on postcards. the small nib is perfect on the small place for the text.

yes but which one ?

Love them to!

I am a fan of the Kaweco AL Sport fountain pens; I have five; three are inked and two are resting. I also have a Pilot VP but I don’t use it as often as my Kaweco Sports.

4 Likes

The Kawecos are very pretty! :heart_eyes: Which ones do you have?

1 Like