Your favorite pen to write postcards?

It depends on the card stock for me. I send out a variety of postcards, so I will use different types of pens for different cards.

For the glossier postcards -My choices are the Uni-ball Jetstream pen and the Staedtler Lumocolor marker pen. I also use the Monami oil-based markers too. These are rain-proof so the words + Postcard-ID remains intact. Plus, ink on glossy postcards smudges really easily so I tend to avoid those. Sharpie pens work too! I use these pens to write my glossy cards.

For the matte-backed postcards and letters - I use fountain pen ink! Matte-backed cards absorb ink a lot better so I do use my Kakuno fountain pen on them. I
use the Iroshizuku ink (they are my go-to inks despite the hefty price tag) - favourite colours include Yamabudo and Fuyu-shogun. I do know these inks aren’t rain-proof (but they are a huge joy to write in) so I will always write the address, date, name and Postcard-ID in oil-based smudge-proof ink.

7 Likes

In the beginning I used a ballpoint pen someone gave me that didn’t smudge.
Recently I started using my Sakura Pigma pens. They are waterproof, are easy to write with and dry quickly. They can be used on all postcards, glossy or not.

2 Likes

What fountain pens do you use?

Jinxing28
Hero616
Hero100
Hero007
Chung hwa

4 Likes

I have a Sailor 1911L and ProGear that I reach for most of the time (I have more than 5 pens but I never have them all inked at the same time). :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I have some fountain pens too and I do not have all of them inked all the time either :). I actually finally got around to cleaning some of my pens that needed to be cleaned for a few months to be honest. :/. They are all resting right now and the 2 pens I still have inked have cartridges in them not converters. I do not count my 2 pilot varsity’s just because they are inked and once you are done you can throw them away.

2 Likes

Good collection of Chinese fountain pen. I use sometimes Hero 616 on postcards. the small nib is perfect on the small place for the text.

yes but which one ?

Love them to!

I am a fan of the Kaweco AL Sport fountain pens; I have five; three are inked and two are resting. I also have a Pilot VP but I don’t use it as often as my Kaweco Sports.

4 Likes

The Kawecos are very pretty! :heart_eyes: Which ones do you have?

1 Like

My favourtie pens are these:
ZEBRA JJ15
MI GEN INK PAN-------
Especially the mi gen ink pan. It’s very cheap and popular in China. It only spend me 10RMB(1.5USD) to buying 10 ten pens!

3 Likes

I love my fountain pens, but I am scared to write with ink – even water-resistant ink – as I worry that if the card gets wet in transit, the text will become hard to read :frowning:

If I can find the courage, then I will use my Kaweco Brass Sport fountain pen.

If I cannot, then I will continue to use my ultra-fine-point black Sharpie permanent marker.or Staedtler Lumicolor black marker (I’ve got a few of each).

1 Like

Since November/December my favourite pen to write postcards with is a fountain pen.
Or rather, a couple of them…I like to use different colours.

I still use Sakura Pigma Microns or Copic Multiliners for writing the ID# on officials, but if the postcard accepts ink – I will use one of these.

3 Likes

I find that fine point Sharpies are the best for me. They dry fast, don’t smear or bleed in my experience, come in lots of colors, and are relatively inexpensive especially if bought in ‘variety pack’ type sets.

3 Likes

This for blood donation .

1 Like

I use a Uni-Ball Signo DX .38 for glossy surfaced postcards. The fine point kind of digs a groove into the coating so the ink isn’t just sitting on top waiting to absorb or get easily smeared. It’s not great for matte or linen finish cards though.

For non-glossy cards I use either a Papermate Inkjoy or Zebra Sarasa Rapid Dry 0.7 pens. Both are great but need an absorbent surface to not smear easily.

1 Like

I have Kaweco AL Sport in
Brass Sport (my first and favorite!), Rose Gold, Anthracite, Vibrant Violet, Golden Espresso, and PW Akkerman Orange. The Lilac is on order as we speak :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi there
if get wet (because of weather) does it smooch?
thank you

Hi there
if get wet (because of weather) does it smooch?
thank you

Hello,
No, Sharpies are waterproof. They won’t fade either. :blush:

1 Like