Your favorite pen to write postcards?

Hello,
I’ve just bought the ultra fine point Sharpie, they are nice, but I think they to thick to me, as you can see in the image

Any suggestion of a pen waterproof and does not smooch, but more fine

1 Like

Try the Sakura Mircroperm.

7 Likes

Hi, thank you for your input.
That brand does not exit in local stores here, in Portugal.
So I went and bought Uni-ball eye micro Ub-150 0,5mm and
Staedtler permanent Lumocolor F 6.mm
And I did experiencie today with the 3 pens.
First I write in a glossy paper let dry for some seconds, then spray with water

as you can see the uni-ball did smudged
After I try with paper of cards (not glossy), also, spray with water

Again the Uni-ball did smudged.

So of this 3 pens Sharpie and Staedtler went ok. But both are a little thick.
I saw in the intern that Staedtler has one more thin.
I’m going to buy and try it.
:slight_smile: :grinning:

3 Likes

You could also try the ultra fine point BIC Intensify Permanent Markers.

1 Like

Wow! Just the other day I bought this pen.٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و
And I used it for the postcards I send!

As you can see, unfortunately this pen is water soluble.
However, the color combination is so cute that I used it for a little accent.
If you make dots at intervals, rotate the pen and make dots in between, you can easily draw cute ruled lines, which is my favorite.
Write the text with a water resistant pen.

I posted it to the mailbox hoping that the card would be lucky enough to escape the water accident.

7 Likes

IF you can still find one - the Platinum Carbon Desk Pen (model DPQ-800S) is my absolute favorite for writing as well as sketching. It’s a cheap long-tailed desk pen with a weird plastic cap, but it has a gorgeous thin EF nib and it takes waterproof, deep black Platinum Carbon ink cartridges like no other. Unfortunately, here in Europe and in the US as well it doesn’t seem to be for sale anymore.
The regular Platinum Desk Pen (model DPQ-700A) is still for sale, but it’s a different model with a thicker nib and less facility for dealing with waterproof ink. I have scoured fountain pen forums and nobody seems to know what the deal is - the Platinum Carbon Desk pen is so beloved by artists and sketchers worldwide that it seems ridiculous to stop making it.

I have 7 fountains with fine or very fine nip. And i like the ink woth the name peti prince

I want to try twiink pen but i not get it in germany soooo sad :frowning:

1 Like

My favorite pen using a medium 1.0 Parker cartridge. So natural a grip almost as though it were made to order for my hand! I had to prop it up with my e-reader cover for a proper photo…

1 Like

Recently, I’ve been using 0.1 Pigma Micron and Sharpie Ultra Fine point for the details. I prefer water resistant ink. :slightly_smiling_face:

For the actual writing bit of the postcard (the longer text and address) I generally use my Lamy Safari in colour umbra, nib size F. Current ink colour is blue-black. But because not all postcards take well to the ink, I sometimes will then use either one of two pens that I ordered on Aliexpress. They’re both fine-lined with black ink and write similar to Muji pens.
I almost never write with a regular ballpoint pen because I don’t really like them. I used to write my cards with Staedtler fineliners (usually 0.1).

For writing fun things and details (like date, postcard code, weather, etc…) I have a few different coloured pens, though I usually use the Slide Edge XB from Schneider.

1 Like

Sakura Pigma Micron 01 is my favorite too! Esp if the postcard is on the smaller side

1 Like

I use this Kreati permanent marker, bought in packs of 5 from a local RM 2.60 store. (Imagine the Malaysian dollar store) It’s super awesome because the ink never smudge, and although it is nothing fancy I could write smoothly

4 Likes

For me as well! They are also resistant to water/sun, I think the card has more chance to survive the travel this way.

1 Like

Hi Postcrossers,

I am curious what pen you use when writing postcards.

I have tried a lot of different pens, but had some not so good experiences with the ink bleeding or smudging even before I finish writing a postcard. I had to throw out some postcards and retry again. I now sometimes use Sharpie markers to write, but sometimes it’s not so ideal and the look is not always so great.

Appreciate any recommendations for a good pen to use! (I did get a postcard once in pencil writing, but I would like to avoid pencil if possible).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

1 Like

Please check in the following thread:

3 Likes

Sharpie ultra fine are the best ones to use if you haven’t used that type of sharpie yet, they are permanent, very rarely smudge/make a mess, and write on most surfaces, plus they aren’t too expensive

2 Likes

I use a fountain pen every time, I know it’s not permanent on shiny cards but I would rather not send shiny cards than switch pens.

1 Like

Ordinary ballpoint pen was the best choice for me. No bleeding or smudging on any cardboard. Also moisture resistant.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I like to use too. I did think of trying Sharpies, but wondered why when I know I like a ballpoint pen.

For the message, I use ZEBRA SARASA 0.5 mm, but sometime I feel it’s too thick to make write small font neatly when I write full message. Hence I use Artline drawing pen 0.1 mm too sometime. They work the best on cardboard type of card (with shiny surface), which I have the most

Both are water resistant (they claim so)

3 Likes