Your favorite pen to write postcards?

YAY! Another Zebra Sarasa fan! :heart_eyes: I love their unusual colors.

3 Likes

Yes! The selection of colour they offer is amazing. I’ve never bought a set although I feel I want to :see_no_evil:, so far I only have pale blue to write message and orange to write username, tag name and greetings

1 Like

I have a few shades of blue and one brown. One of them was a gift from dear @scrutiny and it’s actually 0.3, which might be good for you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t know they have 0.3 ones. Thanks for telling me, I’ll take a look if they sell it around here :pen:

My favorite is the Faber-Castell Multimark S, it has a fine tip, dries very fast (which is important for me as a leftie), and is waterproof. I usually prefer to write with fountain pens, but I don’t do that on postcards: I’m always a bit scared the card will get wet and the ink will run…

3 Likes

A few weeks ago I posted this story on [another thread] concerning erasable pens. Just wanted to share since it seems there are many people with this experience! (What was your best postcrossing experience? - #84 by roxsm):

1 Like

I use dip pens and waterproof (and light resistant) fountain pen ink, or at least water resistant ink gall ink on fussier paper.

My inks of choice are the DeAtramentis Document and Koh-I-Noor Document, but I may have a bit more inks than I strictly need to choose from :innocent:

I tend to use a couple of different inks to write the postcrossing ID in two places, so that if one of the inks has issues the other one is hopefully still readable.

For the address I usually use a Gilbert and Blanzy-Poure n°808 vintage nib, with a 0.75 mm tip, while for the text I use an extrafine one because I tend to write a lot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Usually my finer fountain pens, so I can write more.

Either my Lamy Studio EF, filled with Noodler’s Anti-Fascist Blue, or TWSBI Eco EF, filled with Noodler’s Bad Belted Kingfisher.

Both waterproof inks.

1 Like

I use these pens for my Postcrossing.
They cost about AUD4.00 each.

7 Likes

My all-time favourite pen was my Lamy abc fountain pen I have since 1995 as I was in the 2nd class of elementary school. It’s the pen with the long red lid. The end piece is missing since I had a rampage about my school work in 1995 and threw my fountain pen to the ground. laugh
The nib isn’t the original one anymore, I needed to replace it around 2010.
The last time I used my Lamy abc fountain pen was last year, as I wrote lots of folded cards. Since I do Postcrossing, I switched to ballpen and Fineliner, because I’m worry about ink by rain and want to be sure, that everyone can read my handwriting.

I use mostly the dark blue ballpen under my Lamy abc. The color is also dark blue. ^^
Above my Lamy abc is my first PIGMA MICRON 003 (black, 0.15mm line) which I bought in July 2022. I never knew before, that Postcrossers in Asia can’t read cursive, nor learnt to write in cursive. Since I read this often on the official Postcrossing Profiles from Postcrossers in Asia, I always write in block letters, even if the recipient don’t ask to write in block letters. I want to make sure, that the recipient can read my postcard without any trouble.
The other two ballpen have black ink and the same font-weight as my dark blue ballpen. Sometimes I switch between dark blue and black ink. ^-^

And the two quill I used a ver~y long time ago. Both make a horrible sound when I write on paper. A scratching sound is horrible, so I don’t use them anymore.

5 Likes

I almost always use a Zebra G nib on a Koh-I-Nor pen holder, usually with walnut ink, though I do sometimes use sumi ink. I find other inks are not always amenable to postcard writing.

9 Likes

Hello! I live in the U.S. and I’m looking for a really good pen. I have some gel pens at home and they are…okay. But I’m looking for one that writes really smoothly with a fine black line. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don’t want to spend a lot of money. Please recommend brands or certain pens. Thanks!

1 Like

My go-to pens are Sakura Micron pens for matte postcards, Sakura Microperm for shiny postcards. Can be bought as a multi-pack (3-5 pens for ~$10 online) or individually at an art store for ~$3.25 each.

For a ballpoint I like Delfonics wooden ballpoint pens:

Usually $7-$12 each depending on where you buy them and what color you want :blush: You can buy refills for these, which is really nice.

7 Likes

@SilverHare Thank you! I will have to look into these! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

More discussion can be found in here:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll check it out!

Please also check this one :smile:

It’s funny you should post a picture of all the Sakura pigma pens today because as of yesterday they’ve been on my shopping list! I’ve been watching someone doodling with them on Instagram or a FB reel (I can’t remember which)…either way, I thought I’d try them!

1 Like

@floridagirl10 An interesting question. Back in the 1980s, I represented Pilot Pen here in the US. Their huge seller was the “Razor Point.” It was extremely popular with the Art Materials trade for its point that could do excellent detail work. You can find these pens on eBay.

I currently use Uni-Ball’s “Impact 207” for writing on postcards. I have also used Pilot’s Precise which has a V7 fine (.7mm) or an extra-fine V5 (.5mm) point.

4 Likes

Im currently using a Pilot Metropolitan fountain pen with a fine nib and some Noodlers water resistant ink (but am going to find an ink color I like better)