Your favorite pen to write postcards?

Wow… :sweat_smile: This pen sounds like an investment!

It certainly can be; it’s quite a thick ink, and has a tendency to clog (though I’ve had better luck with it than some other folks – likely owing to the lamentable batch variation typical of Noodler’s inks). I won’t put it in a pen unless I can either fully disassemble the pen to clean it, or am willing to toss the pen if it can’t be unclogged.

1 Like

Uh oh! I’ve been using a fountain pen and I just checked the package label - it’s not waterproof. :grimacing: I hope no misfortunes occur with the postcards I’ve sent off recently. I’ll have to check out some waterproofing methods because I love using it.

I also use a Sakura Micron 003, especially on shiny cards. I will have to try out ultrafine sharpie too; I have a few of those in different colors.

And for non-shiny cards, I use Papermate Inkjoy ballpoint pens. They are my favorite for “cheap/basic” pens because they write very smoothly and come in multiple colors. I have a huge stash of them because I use them in my planners and for journals.

1 Like

My absolute favourite pen is the Copic multiliner SP, I use various sizes (depending on how much I want to write on the postcard).
For colour I like the Sakura Microns too, but on shiny cards they leave behind “colour dots” on the writing so I only use them sparingly.

7 Likes

I like Pentel Document Pen best of all. But it needs several minutes to dry. Sometimes I use Micron 0,5. I like using it in my diary, but for postcards, it suitable too, especially for titles and greetings.

1 Like

Thank you for this post! I have been using a gel pen I’ve had for the past 2 years now and it’s almost out of ink. It’s especially difficult to find a nice pen that won’t smear since I’m left-handed. Going to investigate these pens in the thread!

2 Likes

I’m in love with Unipin and I leave my Copic multiliner and SP for “best” (read doing other stuff before I trash the nib and then use multiliners for postcards)!

I’ve got an obscene amount of money spent on technical pens but by far I love my Copic SPs for any work done with Copic markers. Staedtlers are great too.

Unipin are maybe $3.80 a pen and blackest black like carbon black, plus waterproof etc. They’re even cheaper when you can buy them in three packs.

Staedtlers are expensive- Faber-Castell Pitt artist pens are slightly cheaper but not by much- and the Copic multiliners are more expensive. The SPs are supremely expensive but you’re buying a refillable and replaceable nib-able (and if you trash nibs like I do a very good idea)!

Compared to a unipin though- cheaper wins out. Also available in brush tip (if you like fudenoske brush by say Tombow) and other colours in 3 packs as I said. I go through the 0.1mm as my preferred tip but unlike copic I run out of ink before I trash the nib down to the metal. Copic it’s the other way around (pretty wasteful).

I am starting to add to my collection of creative supplies for my postcards. What is the best quality of pens for writing your postcards? I have already bought washi tape and stickers this week.

I love using the different colored pens by stabilo (point 88 fine 0.4). they are best used on postcards that absorb the colours and aren’t overly glossy :grinning:

2 Likes

I currently use Pilot Frixion ball pens in a variety of colours. I like them because the ink is erasable but I only just read that they are water-soluable - so fingers crossed that none of my cards end up in rain (or in the hands of a crying postman).

1 Like

The Frixion line is not a very good choice for postcards, as the ink tends to disappear away with heat — for instance if left on a hot car, near a radiator or in direct sunshine. If that happens, the way to make it appear again is to put the paper in the freezer for a bit, so that it cools down again below the freezing point… but the mail carrier might not have a freezer handy or know what to do if the address magically disappears :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your comment, it is much appreciated - I will look for a more suitable pen to write with. And now I also understand how the “eraser” works on these pens - I was baffled so far - just the heat generated by the friction.:slight_smile:

Yes, it is super baffling! It feels a bit like magic that heat can “erase” ink… but in reality, we’re not really “erasing” — the ink is still there, just invisible.

:exploding_head:

This would be a good pen for spies — just warm up the message before posting!

7 Likes

This might open new “creative” ways to write and decorate postcards - with a touch of a magical moment! :star_struck: Thanks for sharing!!! :grin:

2 Likes

Guys, look what happened to a card I sent last month! :scream:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Some time ago I bought this blue pen that flowed really well, so I decided to use it to write my postcards. What a terrible choice! I think what happened is this:

I hadn’t even realized the ink was erasable! I’ve experimented a bit and the ink does fade a bit if I rub an eraser over it. And it also bleeds a bit if I pour water on it :sob: I haven’t tried heat yet, but I think it’s safe to say that this is not the best pen for postcard writing.

I’m glad the recipient told me, I’ve just ordered some Stabilo OHPen 0,4 mm permanent markers, let’s see how they work :confused: They should be okay for glossy cards too, let’s keep our fingers crossed!

5 Likes

Please do suggest to the person that they put the card on the freezer for a while (in a dry plastic bag so that it doesn’t get wet)! If this is erasable ink, it might come back :slight_smile: Wouldn’t that be cool?

3 Likes

I did suggest it to them, we’ll see how it goes. I’ll report back if it returns to life :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi everyone, yesterday I got the worst email from Postcrossing that one of my postcards was stuck due to the ID number not there or obscured. I felt so bad! Postcrossing was able to help though and my postcard was registered thankfully! But now I’m worried that this might be because the gel pens I use smudge so I want to get some new waterproof pens!

Looking for your suggestions or out there is another thread about this somewhere let me know.

1 Like

You might find some pen advice here: Best pens for writing on the back of shiny cards? (usually waterproof and smudge free are same kind of pens)

2 Likes

Hi!
I saw your post and I have had the exact same problem! I got some of the Faber Castell PITT artist pens to use with my watercolours for Christmas and I realize they work pretty well! Here in Portugal we only really get rain in winter and a bit of spring though, it’s never super rough but they have been good so far!
Hope this helps!

1 Like