What's your postcard-writing "ritual"?

It is so interesting how different people do it! I don’t decorate with tape or stickers or multiple stamps or anything (I usually enjoy receiving them, but for sending, it’s just not my personality), and I’m right handed, so my process is simple.

1. Draw address
  2. Pick card (if address is very long, make sure to choose a card with enough space for it. Usually only an issue for Russian cards)
  3. Write ID and message, using full available space
  4. Write address
  5. Add 1 international stamp (after doing PX so long, I know how big the stamp is, so I’m not worried about leaving enough room for it. Though, when I first started years ago, a few people received cards with stamps folded over onto the front because I hadn’t left enough room :ok_woman: That’s not an issue now, though!)
1 Like

Learnt to do the stamps first, then address, then ID sticker with ID, weather and date. Then I start the message, then usually find the best place to write the code again, finish the message and then if there’s any room left stickers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too!

I’m stamps last but I measure out how much room they will take up!

I haven’t messed one up yet, but just in case :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Date and ID
Washi, stickers, ink stamp.
Stamps

:+1: :love_letter:

1 Like

Hmmm,
I pick the card;
match the front side with backside washi tapes and stickers (usually try similar colours);
then stamps;
then addresses (mine and receiver’s);
then it stays on my desk for couple days xD because I’m exhausted from the routine above;
then message

1 Like

My process is:

1. Position Name and address on card
  2. Attach multiple stamps
  3. Date and write message
  4. Scan postcards
  5. Upload postcards to be mailed to PostCrossing site

I used to write the message first. Then, as I started to buy more varied and different stamps, and realized some took up quite a bit of space, especially if I use some older stamps and have to add extra, I started to go stamps first, then address.

Then postcard ID so I don’t forget or run out of room. Writing or decoration can flip flop as far as which comes next.

1 Like

1: Reading the profile and choosing a card (one of my favorite steps :slight_smile: )

2: Writing down the address.

3: Choosing and putting on a stamp.

4: Writing down the ID twice, plus the date.

5: Choosing in what way and how much I’m going to decorate the card, and then decorating it.

6: Writing the message.

1 Like

For me, my process is as follows (sometimes with slight variations):

1. Picking an address
  2. Hunting through my stash for the right postcard
  3. Taking a photo of the postcard
  4. Sticking the stamp (because I need to know how much space I have left to play around with, since the stamp is necessary, and sometimes I pick the stamps that the Postcrosser might like - some stamps are huge)
  5. Putting the washi tape (to separate the message body and the address space - I need to factor in the address space because some addresses can be long e.g. Russian addresses)
  6. Writing the Postcard ID as the first part of my message, then the main message (I’m right-handed so the message goes before the address to prevent any smudges)
  7. Writing the address
  8. (optional) Sticking any stickers that I have
  9. Mailing it! :slight_smile:
1 Like

:hugs: :writing_hand: :postbox:

1. select postcard, is still sometimes changed :slight_smile:
  2. stick stamp
  3. country sticker for ID number, stick weather sticker, my nickname stamp
  4. address
  5. nr. 3… fill in and put date, day of the week, time on the card
  6. deco sometimes more, sometimes less if desired also none
  7. text …message
  8. and at the end, ID number with transparent tape paste over.
  9. photograph card and upload
1 Like

I often find that I put all the things on a postcard in the same order each time:

1. number and date in the upper-left corner
  2. message
  3. address, and additional number along the vertical line in the middle
  4. airmail sticker
  5. stamps, hopefully with enough room for all of them

I do it generally left-to-right so that I don’t smudge the ink or have to wait for it to dry. And the stamps go on last because it’s hard to peel one off if I make a mistake on the card. For letters, I often address the envelope (return address, then airmail sticker if needed, then delivery address), then write the letter and put it in the envelope, then affix the stamps, and seal all my envelopes en masse right before I go downstairs to mail them.

What order do you do it in—or does it change each time?

And do you find that you run into problems with the way you do things? In my case, sometimes I forget to leave room for stamps, especially with small postcards or multiple stamps. A few people have gotten cards from me with stamps in every little nook and cranny they’ll fit into! So I might have to change up my order for postcards…

I do stamps first to make sure I have enough room. I fill in the address next and put the air mail sticker on. Then it’s date, postcard ID, message, and then fun stickers in any space left!

1 Like

My order is as follows:

1. choosing stamp(s), preferably matching the postcard theme (or colour) or maybe another interest of the recipient, but I won’t attach them to the card right now!
  2. looking for decoration (theme or colour… die cuts, stickers, washi, rubber stamps…)
  3. planning the layout of the card
  4. attaching decoration to card
  5. attaching the stamps to the card
  6. adressing
  7. ID / date
  8. message

Thank you @bom_dia :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For me it’s address, then stamp, then airmail sticker, then decorations and then message, date, id and other writing. It’s easier for me to shrink my text rather than find a place for a sticker after writing the message.

Stamps. Address. ID sticker. Message. Decorations.
Sometimes part of decoration is between stamps and address- when I put something, separating the space for address from space for text.

1 Like

I’m not brave enough to put the stamp(s) first. There’s too much pressure to make sure that things are perfect and leaves no room for error. That kind of anxiety does not make Postcrossing any fun. Therefore affixing the stamp(s) will always be the very last step.

I go:

1. stamps
  2. address
  3. ID/date
  4. message
  5. upload photo

I start with the stamps to make sure I have room for them above the address.

1 Like

Stamps
Address/ID
Stickers, if I use
  1. Adress
  2. Stamps
  3. priority (=airmail) sticker (if any)
  4. ID (2 times), date
  5. Dekoration (if any)
  6. message
  7. upload photo
  1. Write the address
  2. Write the ID
  3. Cover the address and ID with sticky notes (so it will dry completely and won’t smudge)
  4. Write the message
  5. Cover the message with sticky notes (so it will dry completely and won’t smudge too)
  6. Put the stamp (I usually use only one stamp, IDR 10.000. It covers even the most expensive ones, which is to America, IDR 9.000)
  7. Put the decorations
  8. Wait for a couple hours

When sending it:
9. Ask the post officer to mark the stamp
10. Take the picture of both sides

I really hate smudge(s) on my postcard, therefore I always do extra precautions :grin: