What's your postcard-writing "ritual"?

1. Put on the stamps (I use a lot to make postage, so I put them first so they won’t cover the address, learned that the hard way :sweat_smile:) and priority sticker
  2. Write the address in black ink
  3. Put on washi tape if the stamps do not use up a lot of space (if they are big stamps there is not enough room for washi and writing to my taste)
    3b. Put on (larger)stickers if I have some that match the interest of the receiver :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
  4. Write ID number/Tag name and date in black ink
  5. Write weather symbol and temperature in blue ink
  6. Write message in colorful ink
  7. Put on small decorative stickers if there is room between/around the text
  8. Scan the front of the card and upload on official site/register in my swap excel file
  9. Hurry to nearest postbox!
  10. Wait impatiently… :crazy_face:
  1. Choosing the right card that matches the receivers interests. If this is not possible, I choose a card that I like in the moment or that comes close to the cards he/she favs or has sent
    2.writing the ID-number on the card, to make sure, I won’t forget
  2. Adress
  3. Stamps
  4. Message
  5. Stickers (if there is still room) and/or stamps
  6. taking pictures of the card (both sides)
1 Like

For me:

1. Pick the card
  2. Affix the stamp/s
  3. Write the address
  4. Write the ID
  5. Write the date and my location
  6. Write the message
  7. Post the card

1a. stamps - even if I only use one. It’s called routine for a reason. :wink:
1b. washi tape/large stickers - depending on what kind of decoration I have in mind, I sometimes put the washi tape on first.
2. ID, sometimes date (and weather) if it fits well or the receiver asks for it
3. message
4. ID again
5. address
6. maybe more stickers or washi tape if there’s still room

1 Like

For me it’s like:

1. Stamps
  2. Stickers/washi tapes
  3. ID
  4. The message
  5. ID in another place
  6. Date and weather
  7. Address
1 Like

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: How long to you need to write your cards?

A post was merged into an existing topic: How long does it take you to write a postcard?

There is topic about postcard writing rituals and I read that people invest more or less time in the writing part of the main text.
I found that very fascinating. In this topic we can talk about how you get the ideas for messages on the cards and if this goes easily or not.
This is not to judge people for their writing skills.

For me I always try to write different things on the cards I send.
Sometimes I just tell about my day, which goes fast.
I also write what comes in my mind when I look at a card, this is goes similar fast. In the beginning of my postcrossing experience, it was a harder task,

But other times the reveicer asks for informations about a (view)card or I fell that I should write something about the town the card comes from. So that includes a lot more time and research on my side. Luckily there`s the internet.

7 Likes

Thats a good question!

If a person has a question their profile ill happily answer it, and when they register my card they’ll say their view or reply which is cool!

If its not ill happily just write about the weather or anything fun that’s happened. It helps a lot during this pandemic.

3 Likes

To write in a good mood is always the best :smiley:
It’s true some Profils give you more ideas what to write than others

2 Likes

Mostly, me too.

But sometimes people ask things I think are too personal to talk about to a random stranger who will do who-knows-what with the answer, or they say outright that they will post the answers on their blog (at least they are being honest!) or something similar. Then I will just talk about the card and explain why I like it and why I picked or made it for them (I send handmade cards, too). It is something I enjoy reading when people send me cards, so I figure other people would probably appreciate it, too.

Oh, edit to add my answer to the topic header, the actual message does not take me very long. Picking the card, decorating the card, and writing the card altogether takes me about 30 minutes. The message-writing itself is probably only about 5 minutes of that, because by the time I start writing I usually know what I want to say.

3 Likes

I never stopped time, but I think my wrting part is around 5-10 min. Chosing the card takes longer.

I too, enjoy reading peoples thoughts to their card.

1 Like

It really depends!

I send a German Unesco site
This is MY topic! I write lots, quite fast. 5-10 minutes per card.

I draw a profile I can easily connect to
5-10 minutes per card (and the space is not enough!!)

I send a card I can write something about (like my hometown)
5-10 minutes

I draw a random profile I can’t connect to, card is not my cup of tea, and there is no special event nearby
Ages! Really… sometimes I stare at the card for more than 30 minutes and only manage to write one sentence!

Recently I needed to prepare ~35 Christmas cards and was struggling so much. I wasn’t in the mood for Christmas yet. The whole process (choosing cards, addressing, decorating and writing) took me around 3 weeks :see_no_evil:

11 Likes

I agree! Often the card and/or profile inspire me and I easily fill up the card (and sometimes would wish for more space). Other times I have troubles coming up with anything interesting to write… Christmas cards ARE difficult! I am a person who writes long, chatty letters, but give me a Birthday or Xmas card or similar and I end up doing variations of standard greetings or quoting a poem and feeling very unimaginative…

9 Likes

I feel the same :sweat_smile: I always end up with ‘Merry Christmas and a happy new year’ somewhrer on a Xmas card, but this a little boring to read. So at least I try add something about the piture, if I had no other ideas.

Same here! If the profile “match” me, then the card writing will be fast and easy, but if I don’t feel me and the receiver having anything in common, it takes bit longer to get the card written.

Sometimes I end up googling more information, like just this weekend I sent a train themed card and while wondering what to write about it I noticed the station’s name so I googled it to see if there is anything interesting going on, and that ended up for me discovering a whole new summer holiday event I really need to take a part of. That was fun, but also took its’ sweet time. I also like to write parts from books so it takes bit longer to select a book and find a good part. So I would say it takes 5 - 30 mins to write a card… Anything between there.

Goodness, what have you done to be punished like that? I wrote about 15 last year and was so done with the whole Christmas after it.

4 Likes

I love to swap envelopes for December with a written Christmas (or winter) card and a little present like stickers for an advent calender :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I need to write even more… I swapped for (nearly) 2 full sets :smiley:

Last year's calendar

5 Likes

Thanks for making this topic, @Jarana! My message-writing usually lasts 10-20 minutes, but can certainly take longer if I am writing a folded card. US-6959188 contained a recipe, whose measurements I tried my best to convert to metric units–that took some time!

Being inspired by someone’s profile can make it easier to know what to write, but often for me, finding a lot in common with my recipient makes it harder to pare down what I want to share with them so that it will fit onto a postcard! As you can tell, I am a chatty writer and it pains me to omit details. :sweat_smile: In this case, these cards take me significantly longer to write!

2 Likes

It probably takes me maximum 10 minutes to write. What I write depends on the profile. If there’s not much there to work with, I usually write about myself and what I’m currently doing (although it’s been quite boring lately due to the pandemic). Otherwise I can answer whatever questions they’re asking about or I might include an anecdote if something on their profile resonates with me.

1 Like

Everyone thanks for your answers :blush: Very interseting, that we all struggle with writing sometimes, but then again it’s like a flow another time.

In November I often take a break from writing official postcards, because of “Postcards for a good cause” in December. As I still want to personalize the message but send also as much cards as possible.
I think I ask for a handful adresses, write these cards and if I#m in the mood I will ask for more adresses. Writing should not end up in stress, so then it’s better to contiune on the next day :wink:

1 Like