Writing
Stamps

After choosing the Postcard I:

• scan the postcard
  • decorate with masking tape / washi tape
  • put on stamps
  • write the address
  • put on my ID-sticker
  • write ID, Date and what else is asked on the sticker using different coulours
  • print rubber stamps on the postcard
  • write the postcard text
  • upload the postcard to my send galary
2 Likes
  1. Stamps
  2. Writing the ID
  3. Writing the message/drawing
  4. Decorating with Washi or Stickers

Hi! I do the same!

1. I put the stamps, because I donā€™t want them to go on the address or the writing.
  2. I write the address and the ID.
  3. I decorate with washi or stickers, or both
  4. I write the message
  5. sometimes I add other stickers or I draw something
1 Like

I agonize over what card to send (especially if I donā€™t have one that suits the wishes of the recipient! :smile:), then I choose stamps (if available: new ones that I can still get the ā€œfirst dayā€ postmark for).

Then: stamps on the card, Washi/stickers or rubber stamps on the card, then I write the text and the addy is last, because I donā€™t want to smudge it.

Recently I also put a little print-out of my address on the card, in the hope itā€™ll be returned to me, in case it can not be delivered, in Corona times.

That goes between ā€œstampsā€ and ā€œdecorationā€.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes
  1. Think about what Iā€™m going to write and how much space I will need.
  2. Chose stamps accordingly - ideally also to match either the theme of the postcard text or the postcard picture or super-prerfect-ideally both :slight_smile:
  3. Write address and Postcard ID (twice) lest I forget (I have occasionally caught myself at the mailbox noticing at the very last moment that I forgot to write either the ID or the address!!!)
  4. Write the text
  5. Add a hadn-drawn ā€œstampā€ with my postcrossing avatar if thereā€™s any space left
  6. Add rubber stamps for ā€œpriority mailā€ and repeated country-name in English (if different than in Polish) - lest I smear the ink all over the card in the process of writing
  7. double-check on the way to the mailbox that I put address and ID on the card :smiley:
2 Likes
  1. Address
  2. Washi tape
  3. Stamps, priority sticker
  4. ID, date, weather
  5. Bigger stickers/rubber stamps
  6. Message
  7. Small stickes/rubber stamps
2 Likes

Funny, most people seem to put the stamps in the early stages of the process. I always put them last: that way, if I mess up the postcard before itā€™s ready, at least I wouldnā€™t be wasting a stamp (which for me is quite expensive).

My process differs a tiny bit depending on whom am I writing to but in general is:

• Using a ruler to better perceive how to fit everything in the postcard

• Stickers or washi tape if Iā€™m using them

• Message + other Info

• Address

• Stamps

Et voilĆ”! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

gee, I do not have ANY process :smiley:

I draw the address(es? sometimes I draw additional cards when writing one already), I select postcards, then I either write a message, decide on stamps or put the addresses down (written or printed) but itā€™s all over the place usually. If I see someone with long, multi-line address, Iā€™ll probably start with that. If I really want to say something in relation to the profile - the message goes first.

But yeah, all is improvised and every time different :grin:

3 Likes

i put the stamps on first so i now i have space left for the address, especially if itā€™s a long one. iā€™m afraid that if i write the address first the stamps wonā€™t fit by 3mm.

so after the stamps i write the address and the id code. then i put all the washitape and stickers. also because space. i donā€™t understand people who first write and then decorate. if i write first all the space is gone.
so message last and if i have written all my cards i scan them. well usually also after the mail person has been that day so i can scan my received cards as well, all in once.

2 Likes

Yes!! The reason I put the stamp(s) on first is also because I want to be sure there is enough space for them on the card!

Itā€™s really interesting to read how everyone does things differently :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve mailed only about 60 cards so my process is still evolving, but hereā€™s what I currently do:

1. Print the address on a label;
  2. Choose the postcard;
  3. Photo of the postcard;
  4. Choose the stamps so that I can see the space needed. I donā€™t stick them yet so that I donā€™t waste them if I make a major mistake while writing the card (as it has happen 2-3 times already);
  5. Write the ID and date;
  6. Write the message;
  7. Stick the address label;
  8. Stick the stamps;
  9. Write the ID a second time;
  10. If I have room, add a ā€œpar avionā€ sticker. They are apparently useless in Canada for mail (only useful for packages), but I like the international look they give;
  11. Upload the photo;
  12. Mailing the day after during my early morning walk.
3 Likes

I definitely get that! But stamps here are huge and I usually need at least a couple, so itā€™s a bit of a juggling act to balance where the address will fit (and sometimes even the message). If I mess it up, I have to call it a feature, not a bug. :wink:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s why I usually use a ruler so I can better perceive where to put the things I need to put.

I do agree that mess ups can be a feature but I was referring to the ones that will make my message imperceptible or make it impossible to send the card. :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh. Yeah, a ruler. Iā€™m not a ruler person. :laughing:

3 Likes

I stick 3-4 stamps of different sizes. Therefore, I first stick the stamps, then write the address, decorate the washi, write a message, decorate with stickers.

2 Likes

Iā€™m like you! Stamps always go last around here, because I often mess things up, and putting them first just makes a more expensive mistake. :sweat_smile:

I donā€™t use a ruler though ā€” I just put the stamps on top of the card (without licking), so that I know the space theyā€™ll take, and then write around them.

2 Likes

I do it in this order

1: stamp

2: write address, ID and date

3:message

4: decorations

OR

1:stamp

2: address, ID, and date

3:decorations

4:message

2 Likes

In general, my order is:

1. Washi tape
  2. Postage stamps
  3. Stickers
  4. ID
  5. Message
  6. Address
  7. Additional stickers and/or rubber stamps to fill in any empty spaces

If the person Iā€™m sending it to doesnā€™t like washi tape and stickers, I omit them but my order is still pretty much the same.

1 Like