What do you coat handmade postcards in to protect the design?

Transparent spray varnish when it’s a water based painting. Mod podge for the other techniques.

2 Likes

I decided to start making stamp collages to send as postcards. However, I’m not sure what way is best to protect them. I initially considered Modge Podge, but it’s not the most waterproof. I’ve also considered laminating it, but it would be hard to write on the back, so I would have to write on it before laminating the card. I feel like hot gluing a blank card on the back of the sealed collage would make it too heavy or wouldn’t stay on well… Any advice?
Any advice or photos of your stamp collages would be appreciated!

2 Likes

Awesome trick I read in the forum: make another card and put the writing sides on top of each and then laminate them. 2 laminated cards on collage side come out :blush:

Or use some paper to cover it and stick it down with washi tape on all sides. Make sure the recipient knows that the protective cover should be removed.

3 Likes

Have you tried using pva glue @toadallycool ? I do not know of this Modge Podge, but I know pva glue is waterproof. Or you could use clear nail varnish! I know of some who have done that before.

Modge Podge is a craft glue/sealant sold in the US! It’s used a lot for paper mache, scrapbooking, paintings, etc. I’ll look into the pva glue!

Okay, that explains why I have not heard of it! :slight_smile:

pva goes on white, but dries clear. Does Gorilla do a clear glue? I know their products are strong.

This may be obvious, but you can also simply send it in an envelope.

1 Like

Where is the fun in that? :joy:

I could not resist.

3 Likes

You can use clear contact paper on the stamp side.

Well you don’t need to laminate whole back side I would imagine. A little plastic frame will do :slight_smile:

What would you recommend I use? I have a laminator at school so that was my first thought.

Can I ask what you mean by clear contact paper? Sorry if it’s a simple question! LOL

1 Like

Contact paper is used as shelf liners and you can buy it clear. I used to use it when I did not have a laminator. You can apply it to the one side with the stamps to protect it.

We call that vinyl wrap here, or sticky back plastic. The clear stuff is often used here for school books.

The grid is on the backing, to help cut it out. I presume this is what you mean @Skittykitty ?

That’s a good idea, I never thought of that. Probably because I have not used it in years.

1 Like

@toadallycool I use this tape as @Bunny-Boo showed and after I carefully stick it to the side of the collage I leave a bit of excess material to ‘connect’ with the written side (as you can see on the card you received from me). Then I put the card through laminator for extra protection and you get a sturdy card.

If you draw or glue on pieces do you need to cover the homemade postcard with decopage so it survives the mail?

1 Like

Totally depending on who I’m sending the card to!
Every once in a while, I will send a hand painted postcard. If the receiver mentions that they like envelopes to be used I will. If it says otherwise or doesn’t mention, I will use a plastic sleeve and cut out a small square so the stamps can be cancelled. I recycle the plastic sleeves from other postcrossers and from cards that I sometimes purchase from small businesses. I haven’t had any issue with the sleeves! :hugs:

3 Likes

Thank you, that really helps!

2 Likes

I use modpodge to coat them with.

1 Like

I use Liquitex professional satin or matte varnish if I’m concerned about durability of the surface. I do some cards using handmade scratchboard so that needs a protective layer or an envelope for sure.