What do you coat handmade postcards in to protect the design?

You could use plastic film or PET film of photos.

1 Like

@Sanguinsomnia Hi! May I ask what you apply Liquitex with? I saw that a couple of people recommended it and got one too. I tried to apply it with a usual brush, but glossy stickers got this nasty kind of greasy look, and brush strokes are visible. Visible if you catch the light reflection. It works awesome with fixing paper pieces, but I am not sure what to do with stickers.

@LondonAddict Hey so it looks like you might benefit from trying a spray varnish. Ive seen people use Krylon triple thick but I’ve used Krylon Kamar varnish myself. (I don’t use stickers though.)
Either that or test out using a very fine sandpaper to scuff the surfaces of shiny objects before painting on the varnish.
And one last crazy option which is much messier and physically heavier, but is self-leveling and would not show any brushstrokes (!) would be resin. I’m not sure you could mail it afterwards though!
Anyway, Best of luck!

1 Like

Thank you!

PVA glue bends the paper because it is water based :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I make watercolor cards and I’ve mailed quite a few successfully without any protective coating. I’m actually surprised how well they’ve held up. The only issue is sometimes the ink from the stamp cancellation bleeds through onto the watercolor side but this happens sometimes with normal postcards as well.

2 Likes

Can you help me with what would protect a drawing on wood? I made it with water-based pens and pencil. I’d love to send it without an envelope.

1 Like

I think modpodge might work for that.

1 Like