What did you acquire for postcrossing?

I see that people buy a lot of tape and stickers to decorate. I wonder how you make the amount you write fit to the left space after decoration or do you decorate after writing? Or do I just write too much that sometimes I even lack space on a bare postcard.:thinking: Do people appreciate postcards with a lot of text? (Well, written on one half of the postcard, not all over). Or do people want to see a balanced written/decorated? Or is it just a sender’s preferences?

4 Likes

We’re all different, and have different tastes. Personally, I would prefer lots of text and less tape/stickers. And on the cards I send out, I have never used Washi tape, and only once or twice have I put on a sticker. I do, however, use lots of stamps, which are a form of decoration.

5 Likes

I like to use lots of washi tapes and stickers but I also leave space for message. I can write small handwriting :wink: However, sometimes I don’t decorate the card at all if I feel like it. I think it looks naked if there are no decorations but that’s just my thought. Stamps and Priority stickers are also like decoration. We all have different preferences.

2 Likes

They are beautiful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I can never find cute narrow wahsi tape.

My birthday was yesterday, so I kind of went on a shopping spree in July.

I was going to travel to Buenos Aires this year, but my boyfriend got a new job and we had to postpone it to 2023. So I bought those Argentina postcards and I intend to send them from origin next year.

I also bought some new stamps at the Brazilian postal service webstore.

46 Likes

those sunset stamps are cool

1 Like

@Smitti92 Narrow washi tapes are indeed hard to find! I did buy a couple at a local stationery store, but for the most part I had to hunt for them on Etsy. I think they aren’t as popular because people haven’t found a specific use for them. Admittedly, narrow tapes simply lack space for a detailed design. But, they’re perfect for borders :smiley:

4 Likes

@ShiNeko, the lack of space is why I am now a big user of narrow washi tape :laughing:

In general, I find I want to say “too much” (relative to the space on the card), and therefore I don’t use pretty stickers as much as I’d like to! But I do manage usually to squeeze in a sticker or two, or I use a rubber stamp to add some extra visual interest and colour. To be honest, I think I am compensating visually for my rather untidy printing…

As a recipient, of course I enjoy seeing some well-chosen washi tape, stickers and stamps, but ultimately for me it is all about the message! I’m perfectly happy with an undecorated postcard, too. And I love long responses :revolving_hearts:

P.S. Re your question:

I wonder how you make the amount you write fit to the left space after decoration or do you decorate after writing?

… I’m probably a little weird about it. I usually mentally compose the reply before writing it in, so that I can be sure it won’t run too long. Then I check the space to see whether stickers etc. might fit around the message. If there really isn’t much space, I am likelier to give precedence to the words, and omit the visual stuff. But often I find that there can be a balance. I try to write (print) in small letters so that my options are open!

1 Like

I think that receivers who want their cards in envelopes are the great choice for a creative sender (who also likes to write long messages) to give free rein to their imagination. :joy: But I once had rea-a-ally big cards with panorama of Odesa, so there was enough space for everything. I think some of these cards I still have. But not everyone likes to receive non-standard cards.

1 Like

Speaking of tapes, maybe someone saw this shiny tape on AliExpress

I bought it to decorate my parcels with hand-made toys. But it was really bad: the tape kept tearing, no more than 1-2 cm intact. Then I realized it would be beautiful to cut it into tiny pieces. So I covered the box with these pieces which looked like a broken glass. It won’t take much space to decorate a postcard this way.:thinking:

7 Likes

Oh dear… Harry Potter cats :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hit me up if you need California :wink:

I had a little too much fun at Disney Springs in Orlando :sweat_smile: And I already have recipients in mind of most of these…

17 Likes

Amazing selection of postcards. How exciting to be able to visit Disney Springs!

1 Like

Picked up these Vintage Carousels stamps today at the post office

24 Likes

Upon recommendations of the Sakura Micro Perm pen under another thread (Best pens for writing on the back of shiny cards?), I decided to use these on my glossy-backed cards. They work so well! This wonderful forum also led me to fill up my shopping basket with more recommendations like the Flower Box and the Botanists Sticker Book. I don’t use Washi too much on my postcard, but I couldn’t resist the Taco tape!
… and of course I found more things for the sake of Postcrossing :smiling_face:

19 Likes

Oh, I don’t know what to do… :pleading_face: I used to buy stamps right before sending, but right now I can’t seem to stop:

And this is just what I bought at a post office today. There are much-much more bought online which I am yet to receive. How do you stop? They are so beautiful. And with bats and sea beings are what was released 6-5 years ago. :smile:

25 Likes

OMG those bats are so nice :scream: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Just order and received some postcards from PaperAndPostcrossers :smiley:

22 Likes

Wow, so cute cards :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I found these on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0782SBNBR

3 Likes