Unique material, Unusual Postcard, Lenticular/3D

Ah, I must have missed it , thanks!

I have a metal Van Gogh postcard but have yet to find the right profile. I’m hoping it will send normally.

3 Likes

Here is my collection. I have not updated it in several years since receiving more but this gives a good idea of some other ones you may have not seen before.

18 Likes

thanks for sharing. The green one is very interesting

1 Like

I guess if someone from Germany got the cards from them and then sent them to you as a package that’d still be cheaper. :thinking:

1 Like

Recently I have sent a self-made fake fur card:

and received a grass paper card, which unfortunately the sender didn’t scan. It looked and felt like a normal card but with brown instead of white paper.

10 Likes

Lovely thread!.
So far, I’ve gotten a wooden and fabric postcard.

The wooden one has the drawing of a witch.
And the fabric one, was sent from Taiwan, from a friend who knows I love robots. This card in particular can be “peeled off” to get the fabric cover from the postcard and stitch a little Mazinger Z doll. I put this doll every year on my Christmas Tree.

I remember I got 2 cards of Mazinger, how lucky am I?. The one my friend sent to me, is the one I made to a doll. And the one I received as an official postcard here in Postcrossing, is saved as one of my treasures.
Here is:

9 Likes

eta55 - I have a collection of leather postcards as well! They were sent to a relative by a gentleman who was courting her in 1901 and 1902.

5 Likes

Wow, super cool - were they actually written on? or engraved? - that’s not quite the right word, but making marks on leather with tools is like an engraving, thanks, Lynn

LC-Canada - Yes, they have engraved images, some romantic, others funny, and are addressed to my relative - her name, city, and state (that’s all!!) and most of them still have stamps on them. Sadly, someone in the past had glued them into an album, so some of them have paper glued to the backs, but otherwise, they have held up remarkably well!

2 Likes

I recently found some surprisingly special materials from France at the flea market. They all come from the beginning of the last century.

There are flocking cards, you can feel the hair on it, the hair is very soft and comfortable

There are silk cards

There are plastic cards. Unfortunately, because the age is too old, many plastic cards are broken.

There are special pop-up cards

They are really beautiful! I love all of them😍
I hope that France can publish more cards with special materials.

50 Likes

Wow, those flocking cards are amazing and so cool they’ve lasted this long. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Yes, these cards are basically from 1910-1920. Their last owner kept them very well, and it was a huge surprise to find them!:star_struck::star_struck:

4 Likes

thanks for sharing. Lucky you to get these

i hope someday you get my address from Official . Nice one

I only have one. I’ve been considering making some. Not sure the USPS will still accept them.

I germany such cards exist too. With, Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, seeds…

2 Likes

Today I received a postcard that has a detachable drinks coaster. What a fun souvenir map theme, with a “here I am” red dot coaster!

19 Likes

Was it shaped like that - a postcard with a beer coaster that sticks out? I wonder if it could’ve been sent without an envelope from France (from Germany it would need an envelope I think). Very cool, in any event!

1 Like

Yes, it was the shape you see in the photo, with the red dot that sticks out. The whole postcard (including the detachable coaster) are made of a thick, absorbent, paperboard (like a normal drinks coaster).

It arrived with no envelope and no postmark at all, so avoided the dreaded USPS machines. But it took a month to travel from one side of my State to the other (357 km).

The best part is that at the bottom of the map side it says, “This is an artist’s impression only and is not designed to be used as a navigational aid.” :rofl:

8 Likes