UNESCO postcard and general discussion

Thanks for the list!

What I find really odd is that Frontiers of the Roman Empire - The Lower German Limes is its own site and not an extension of the original site Frontiers of the Roman Empire. Now there are basically two sites with the same name.

1 Like

Yeah, I wondered that too, but they have two separate ID numbers. Maybe there is something distinct in they way they are managed (maybe, different official bodies are responsible?) Just guessing, and probably off base, so I shouldn’t!

Well, I didn’t yet read through all the descriptions, there usually are reasonings for why the site was inscribed and also how to differentiate from other possibly similar sites. It might make an interesting read.
Just from the outsiders perspective it would have made more sense to combine them. Especially since both sites have places in the same country (Germany). Also, Hadrian’s Wall, the initial site, was renamed to Frontiers of the Roman Empire just a few years ago to include the extension in Germany. Why not continue there?

Edit: After reading through some of the document, I think your guess about management of the sites wasn’t too far off. There’s talk about cooperation with the different groups that manage the other sites and prepare nominations for other parts of the frontier.
Otherwise it talks about how this is the earliest part of the fortifications and the special situation of building at a lowland river. But nothing really that explains why it wouldn’t be combined with other sites.

1 Like

Did you check, how many places are incorporated in the Lower Limes site? :dizzy_face: Good luck finding postcards for all of them!

1 Like

I doubt there will be postcards for many of the sites. Most of them seem to be underground. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I hope someone will print a postcard showing the map of Rhine River showing the locations of both Netherlands and Germany! Rather than trying to collect a postcard of each minor site. I will collect a postcard mailed from both Germany and Netherland. Just my personal preference :sweat_smile:

Same thing for a map postcard of all the transnational UNESCO sites like Primeval Beech Forest, Struve Geodetic Arc, Le Corbusier, Prehistoric Pile Dwellings of Alps, etc. And even for single country UNESCO site that has so multiple small sub-sites, it will be nice to have a single postcard that shows all the locations.

Of course, this is in addition to collecting postcards of individual sites, no matter how small, where the local communities take opportunity to have their own museum or tourist postcard that represent their site.

I think the last UNESCO WHS site to be inscribed this year is the Frontiers of Roman Empire - Danube Limes (Western Segment) of Germany, Austria, Slovakia.

And that Gdansk (Poland) is not inscribed this year.

Will have to wait for the official UNESCO WHS website update tomorrow July 31, 2021.

I can’t find a list of all the places included in this site. Anyone here, who can help me?

I keep them there but they don’t count for the number of cards of the collection. :slightly_smiling_face:

And the number of delisted cards has grown up to 3, together with the new entries, I must review the list
 again. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

To check all the places that are really Unesco you have to see what is written on “maps” and also enter the documents there, that is the official map with the location of the buildings/areas that are protected: Routes of Santiago de Compostela: <i>Camino FrancĂ©s</i> and Routes of Northern Spain - Maps - UNESCO World Heritage Centre

Example, a simple entry like the Oporto historical centre: Historic Centre of Oporto, Luiz I Bridge and Monastery of Serra do Pilar - UNESCO World Heritage Centre

Open the document on the right: Historic Centre of Oporto, Luiz I Bridge and Monastery of Serra do Pilar - Maps - UNESCO World Heritage Centre

Warning those documents for the Routes of Santiago are very heavy, they have blocked some computers from where I accessed, that’s why I showed an easier example.

Thank you @Geminiscp !
I had found and used the map option earlier, but as you said, sometimes they are just too big, and some of them made my computer work forever. So I had hoped for a written list, but maybe there isn’t one.

1 Like

I live in Taiyuan, Shanxi Province, P.R. China, there are 3 UNESCO World Heritage in Shanxi, Ancient City of Pingyao :japanese_castle:, Yungang Grottoes :moyai:and Wutai Mountain :mountain:.

1 Like

I did a heritage walk in Diest today and I found my first UNESCO postcard, also took some pictures :blush:

• Gate of the beguinage -
6 Likes

hello all,

recently i saw on the news that Amami islands in Japan became UNESCO. really great news! i have been there several times, truly beautiful.

sad things perhaps are not much postcrossers there, maybe near zero members, and also nearly no postcards available about these islands.

1 Like

That is one of the most horrible phrases, a postcrosser can encounter! :wink:
Let’s hope that they will print cards depicting Amami now, as interest in the islands is going to increase.

3 Likes

@Mosshumla
when my family member visited there recently, she actually brought some viewcards from there but they turned out to be selfprinted types, rather thin paper cards. they of course show great nature and i like them but i have not been able to send them as officials. for example, one card only shows the leaves of sugar canes. i know it is meaningful, but generally such cards may not be appreciated much. may look boring even generally ? for now, i keep the cards for myself. i kind of want to share with a couple of people, though.

1 Like

Thank you @all for all the interesting postings WHS-related!!!

by the way, Osaka in Japan, my town, had no UNESCO until recently. Now, what we call Kofun in Japanese, the old burial mound (a tumulus) which seemed to be the biggest in the world in size, very greenery one, was finally approved as UNESCO.

but i am like, why approved now ??? it is so very old for all of us in Osaka.

oh, and the postcards of it seem to be available in Sakai city, Osaka, only - not sold in the city center at all, yet, so i am sort of unsatisfied. . . . .

1 Like

Oh yes, it’s so frustrating when postcards are not easily available. I know that very well, as it’s like that with almost all Swedish sites. There are three different sites in the Stockholm area, but only those depicting Drottningholm palace are to be found in the touristic area in central Stockholm. (But only one or two different images; to find other postcards, one has to go to Drottningholm, which is situated a little bit outside Stockholm.)

Postcards depicting the other two are hard to find even for people living in Stockholm:
Birka is situated on a little island in Lake MĂ€laren. Postcards depicting it I have only ever found at the Museum shop on the island, which is open May to August. To reach it you either have to have a boat, or take the tourist boat from central Stockholm in the morning and go back in the afternoon. It’s a lovely trip, but it takes a whole day.
The Woodland cemetery is situated in Stockholm itself, but postcards are only available at the Information Centre on the cemetery. The centre is only open May to September, and weekends in October. So plan your vacation in Sweden well!

4 Likes

I am still bummed that no new Taputapuatea marae postcard was published since it became a WHS. Even now there is only the same old tacky card. :expressionless: