UNESCO postcard and general discussion

Google, google, google - Ah yes, you are right! That site absolutely deserves a (or several) better cards!

I know! When I visited Florence for a day I hoped to find cards for the Medici Villas and Gardens, one of which is right in the middle of Florence. I went to look at every single postcard rack I could find in the city. There were thousands of cards of the cathedral, some of other cities like Pisa, Venice or Rome, but not a single card of the park that is right in the city! It was so frustrating!

Even the postcard sellers right outside the park only had the usual stock of cathedral, cathedral, and more cathedral. Sadly, I didn’t have time to go inside the park to check whether there may have been a souvenir shop with a better selection. Also, the lines to get inside were really long. In the end, at the last shop I checked before returning to the station, I found a lenticular card that showed a statue from the park. They had just enough copies for the trades I had arranged beforehand, and one to keep for myself.

2 Likes

ah, and i do not know about nowadays but in Okinawa, Japan, i could not find postcards - that is 15 years ago. later, i ordered some cards of Okinawa UNESCO through a publisher in Tokyo, which was so easy on the other hand.

2 Likes

I went on a city trip with my 4 year old. We went to Tongeren, the oldest city in Limburg. I also found 2 UNESCO sites :grin:

I like my photo beter :wink:

7 Likes

@tamara84
Did you also take photos of the béguinage ?
It would be lovely to see them !

Some photographs from the Beguinage. It’s not one house but an entire street :relaxed:

6 Likes

These are all Dutch UNESCO World Heritage Sites:

There are currently a total of 12 sites in the Netherlands (of which one in Curaçao).

Can anyone help me identify whether this card shows part of the Western Tien-Shan site?

On the back, it is labelled Tien-Shan, Kyrgyzstan. The mountain does look similar to this photo from the gallery on the UNESCO page.

Wikipedia says :

At the 2013 Conference on World Heritage, the eastern portion of Tian Shan in western China’s Xinjiang Region was listed as a World Heritage Site.[[9]] [as Xinjiang Tianshan] (Tian Shan - Wikipedia) The western portion in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Uzbekistan was then listed in 2016.[10]

which suggests that the whole range is listed, and it’s just a question of whether it’s eastern or western?

Today I visited St.Truiden which has 2 UNESCO sites.

The beguinage has a church with lovely murals from early 17e century.

Unfortunately there was no card with a single view of the Belfort :confused:

4 Likes

@tamara84
The crosses in the grass around the church (hedges?) are an interesting detail.
Did you get to see the murals ? And maybe even took some photos ?
Still “kermis” in town (fun fair :thinking:)… like the contrast though: old/new, beige/colours…

1 Like

No, i did not see the murals :sweat_smile: I visited in the morning and the church would open in the afternoon. Also had the kids with me so I had limited time :joy: but I am going to visit, when possible, without the kids and also do some of the museums and exhibitions :wink: And yes, still fair in town and also marked on Saturday :expressionless: Spoiled the photos a bit

1 Like

Here’s an interesting article from someone who’s aiming to visiting all the UNESCO sites.

Some superlatives from the story:

• The Tiniest Cultural Site: Holy Trinity Column, Olomouc, Czech Republic
  • The Smallest Natural Site: Vallee De Mai, Seychelles
  • The Most Visited Site: West Lake, Hangzhou, China
  • The Oldest City Site: Damascus, Syria
  • The Oldest Cultural Site: Lower Valley Of The Awash, Ethiopia
5 Likes

@Xiaoi
I think perphaps it will be a good Idea to post your unesco-card-to-be here in this thread, too!!?!

Thanks, ipuenktchen!

You are right. :slight_smile:

Need help of all instagram users!

My photo of the Roman Watchtower in my hometown of Neuss (part of Lower Rhenish Limes) could be printed as a postcard, if it gets most votes in a contest. So please help me with a like! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dear experienced UNESCO collectors,

I need a small guidance. Today I received a beautiful postcard featuring many UNESCO sites. When collecting, can I cover all these places by this single card or should I consider it as valid only for a single site. Thank you so much in advanced

I think this is just your personal choice. I probably wouldn’t count it for myself.

2 Likes

Dear @KRR, I’m a far from experienced UNESCO cards collector, but my personal choice would also be not to count it as such. I would keep it as part of the UNESCO collection though.
But main thing indeed is that it is YOUR collection ! And you set the rules !
Have fun collecting more UNESCO cards ! :four_leaf_clover:
(did you see that there is also an UNESCO card collectors thread under “postcards” here on the forum ? → “List of UNESCO…”)

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the suggestion @anon7793644 and @helent. I also think that it is better to count only single site postcards.

2 Likes

Sent you a pm :slight_smile:

1 Like