UNESCO postcard and general discussion

Yes, of course, the country of origin is easy to see. But the original question was:

And that is almost impossible to see, except when there is a special postmark from the UNESCO site, which is not very common.

So that was the point I was trying to make: “from origin” usually means sent from country of origin, which is easy to do and recognize. It does not mean sent from the specific location of the UNESCO site.

3 Likes

Oh yes! I absolutely love rock paintings and carvings!

1 Like

The existing site also covers other parts of the city outside of the Roman baths. The baths themselves now would be part of both sites. I guess I can just reorganize a couple of cards in my collection. :smiley:

It’s the same in other places. I remember Vézelay being its own site but also part of Routes of Santiago di Compostela in France. I assume that many places in the town count for both sites.

3 Likes

What a fascinating subject. I have to admit, I know very little about World Heritage Sites, even in my own country (UK). I’m trying to resist the urge to start looking at your tentative lists. I feel an addiction coming on.

2 Likes

Hello!

From today we can collect more UNESCO postcards from Spain. The area of Madrid where the most important museums (e.g. El Prado) and the Retiro Park are, have been declared WHS.
I don’t know if it’s a good idea to put up the map of places of interest :rofl:

From some of them it will be possible to get postcards, from others it will not. If you click on the numbers you can see a picture.

And if you have the Cibeles in your collections, you can classify it as an UNESCO site.

Have a great day!

7 Likes

I fully agree. Let me explain my case.
I live in León, which is on the Route of Santiago de Compostela. If I put the postcard from León in the mailbox, the postmark will not be from León, but from Valladolid, where the automated centre is located. If I want the postmark of León I have to ask for it at an post office of León or go to the main office, where it is possible to put a special tourist postmark.
When it is possible to go to other points of the Route of Santiago, for example Astorga, I try to visit the post office and take the opportunity to get the special tourist postmark. If you leave your letters in the mailbox in this area, they will put the Valladolid stamp on them (away from the Route).

3 Likes

Interesting post.

Just sharing… Yes, I have mailed a postcard in a mailbox at the Great Wall of China but it has a cancellation from a neighboring town.

So since then, I will write on the postcard itself if I have bought the postcard at the gift shop at the UNESCO WHS and if I have mailed it at a mailbox or the name of the post office closest to the UNESCO site. This will reduce the disappointment if the postcard arrive without a clear cancellation or with no postal cancellation!!

Yeah - I have Prado Museum becos famous museum postcard is also my theme.

but would love to swap/collect a postcard of aerial view of tree-lined Paseo del Prado avenue, hopefully such a postcard will be printed or sold :blush:

I have been trying to keep track of what’s happening at the UNESCO conference at the moment but they keep starting before I wake up! LOL

I know - I really ought to be up by 9:30am!!!

Anyway, just wondering what is happening with those sites recommended for a Not Inscribe decision (Did they make a mass decision to eliminate those from their agenda or delay a year???) eg Fortress of Spinalonga , Holqa Sof Umar, Classical Karst, Historical and Archaeological Site of La Isabela , Grobiņa archaeological ensemble, Ribeira Sacra

Also other ones that seem to have disappeared like boundary extensions 8B.61 to 8B.66 and nominations Dirre Sheikh Hussein, Rwanda Sites mémoriaux du génocide , Port of Banbhore, Medieval Town of Khulbuk , Lençóis Maranhenses National Park which were listed on the schedule for last years meeting which didn’t happen??? .

All very mysterious… Maybe pressure was on people to withdraw or delay their applications due to committee stress??? LOL

Seems a lot easier to find out if things get inscribed than to find out what happened if they didn’t for some reason.

I heard they didn’t inscribe the Danube Limes because Hungary pulled out after the committee had already evaluated the application. But the overall verdict was that it would be worthy to receive the title. In that case I assume the application can be altered and resubmitted.

In the old forum we had an “Which UNESCO sites have you visited” thread. Do we have one here too?

2 Likes

If we have that list, I haven’t seen it yet. I really liked to check it and see to which sites the other postcrossers have been.

3 Likes

Yes, I saw that protracted discussion (yawn!). Kept thinking just refer and add to next years list for a decision with a new case file then, but no…

I dont think this thread is getting much traffic so will repost on another. I think SL is the man to answer this!!! He’s our UNESCO expert.

Thanks

I’m puzzling over whether these cards shows the new UNESCO site in Ljubljana, Slovenia - I’m thinking they do not, but do others have thoughts?

Slovenia - Ljubljana | jasondavidt | Flickr

Slovenia - Ljubljana | jasondavidt | Flickr

The church in your second image, could that be the same that is barely visible in image 7 of the gallery (View of the Three Bridges)? The works of Jože Plečnik in Ljubljana – Human Centred Urban Design - Gallery - UNESCO World Heritage Centre
Then I’d say it depicts the same area.

But it’s hard to tell without knowing the town and the buildings. Of course, I also didn’t dive deep into the details of the site. :slight_smile:

Here are the seven locations of The works of Jože Plečnik in Ljubljana – Human Centred Urban Design per UNESCO website.
1 - Trnovo Bridge
2 - Green Promenade along Vegova
3 - Promenade along the Embankments and Bridges of the Ljubljanica River
4 - Roman Walls in Mirje
5 - Church of St. Michael
6 - Church of St. Francis of Assisi
7 - Plečnik’s Žale – Garden of All Saints

I believe my aerial view postcard covers location 3, I hope :grinning: although too high up to appreciate the street/river level details.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, @angeleye and @SLLiew - I don’t think my second image shows enough of the church to qualify even if it is the correct church (which I think it isn’t). But I think the first image shows a bit of the green promenade in the upper left - I may include it on that basis!

2 Likes

I don’t think the church is one of those included in the site, but the card might still show the promenade. From a quick comparison of images I’m quite sure it shows the area around Ljubljanica river. Only question now is, which parts of the embankments around the river are part of the UNESCO site and are those visible on the card? Eg. what bridge is visible on the card and does that belong to the site?

2 Likes

UNESCO or not UNESCO - the first card wants me to visit Ljubljana immediately :slight_smile: .

4 Likes

Here’s the full list of all the new sites (covering 2020 and 2021 submissions).

list

Austria - The Great Spa Towns of Europe
Belgium - Colonies of Benevolence
Belgium - The Great Spa Towns of Europe
Brazil - Sítio Roberto Burle Marx
Chile - Settlement and Artificial Mummification of the Chinchorro Culture in the Arica and Parinacota Region
China - Quanzhou: Emporium of the World in Song-Yuan China
Côte d’Ivoire - Sudanese style mosques in northern Côte d’Ivoire
Czechia - The Great Spa Towns of Europe
France - Cordouan Lighthouse
France - Nice, Winter Resort Town of the Riviera
France - The Great Spa Towns of Europe
Gabon - Ivindo National Park
Georgia - Colchic Rainforests and Wetlands
Germany - Frontiers of the Roman Empire – The Lower German Limes
Germany - Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt
Germany - ShUM Sites of Speyer, Worms and Mainz
Germany - The Great Spa Towns of Europe
India - Dholavira: a Harappan City
India - Kakatiya Rudreshwara (Ramappa) Temple, Telangana
Iran (Republic of) - Cultural Landscape of Hawraman/Uramanat
Iran (Republic of) - Trans-Iranian Railway
Italy - Padua’s fourteenth-century fresco cycles
Italy - The Great Spa Towns of Europe
Italy - The Porticoes of Bologna
Japan - Amami-Oshima Island, Tokunoshima Island, Northern part of Okinawa Island, and Iriomote Island
Japan - Jomon Prehistoric Sites in Northern Japan
Jordan - As-Salt - The Place of Tolerance and Urban Hospitality
Korea, Republic of - Getbol, Korean Tidal Flats
Netherlands - Colonies of Benevolence
Netherlands - Frontiers of the Roman Empire – The Lower German Limes
Peru - Chankillo Archaeoastronomical Complex
Romania - Roșia Montană Mining Landscape
Russian Federation - Petroglyphs of Lake Onega and the White Sea
Saudi Arabia - Ḥimā Cultural Area
Slovenia - The works of Jože Plečnik in Ljubljana – Human Centred Urban Design
Spain - Paseo del Prado and Buen Retiro, a landscape of Arts and Sciences
Thailand - Kaeng Krachan Forest Complex
Turkey - Arslantepe Mound
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - The Great Spa Towns of Europe
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - The Slate Landscape of Northwest Wales
Uruguay - The work of engineer Eladio Dieste: Church of Atlántida

Some really interesting places!

Church of Atlántida in Uruguay

Chankillo Archaeoastronomical Complex in Peru

1 Like