UK prices

Hello my fellow UK post-crossers. Our prices went up again couple of days ago. And it made me soooo sad! How are you all combating this price hike? Any advice?
I love post crossing and doing swaps but with this price it makes it so hard.

4 Likes

I bulk bought stamps from Philatelink when the increase was announced, works out around Ā£1.40/postcard which will tide me over for a bit :face_holding_back_tears:

9 Likes

Wow!! I never heard of that before thanks for sharing! That is a life saverā˜ŗļø i got some as well before the prices went up. But after that i will struggle lol

2 Likes

@hoiyeeanita ā€¦ Yep!! I use Philatelink all the time. Excellent. Great commemorative stamps and you save a considerable amount. Winner!!! Itā€™s pot luck with which stamps you get but I enjoy the surprise.

3 Likes

It wonā€™t be long before itā€™s as worthwhile buying a cheap Ryanair ticket to visit Germany for the day and bulk send post from there! :joy:

Our German friends are lucky enough to be able to send 2 postcards or letters internationally and still get change from the same costs here

8 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m very new to this - am I right in saying that international costs are currently 2 x 1st class, so I could put 2 1st stamps on a postcard instead of a Ā£2.20 stamp? And I can buy these from Philatelink at around 82p each instead of Ā£1.10? AND they donā€™t need a barcode because they are commemorative? I just want to check Iā€™m doing it all right before I take the plunge and buy a load. Thank you!

6 Likes

Welcome to the Forum :slight_smile:
Yes that is correct, you can use 2 1st class stamps, Philatelink is a trusted website that I have heard other forum members using, I personally use trusted sellers on eBay.

If the stamps have pictures on them, then yes they can still be used after the July deadline.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s great, thanks for the info Ryan!

1 Like

I think there is some debate about this - my post office says overseas mail has to have the monetary price on the stamp (in other words a Ā£2.20 stamp) and that two ā€˜1stā€™ stamps (which donā€™t show the monetary value) risk the card not being delivered. Iā€™ve yet to find a definitive answer on this! :woman_shrugging:t3:

UPU rules changed in the mid-1990s. Monetary value need not be displayed on stamps used internationally. So British 1st and 2nd stamps and American ā€œForeverā€ stamps and so on are perfectly valid internationally.

5 Likes

Many thanks :pray:t2:

I have received a few U. K. 2x1st just fine.

3 Likes

Thanks John - good to know :+1:

1 Like

I have always send my postcards/mail with 2x 1st class or even many lower denominations. I like my mails cute so i order lower denominations ones. And (fingers crossed) i never lost a mail

3 Likes

Reassuring, thank you! :pray:t2:

Its that time of year again and Iā€™ve just heard the prices rises for stamps this year (2024) and nearly fell through the floor when I heard it will cost Ā£2.50 to send a postcard. To be fair, Iā€™m not sure how long I can do Postcrossing at the current price hikes - how do the other UK Postcrossers feel?

3 Likes

Weā€™ve been discussing it on this thread:

From post 1,872 onwards!

2 Likes

The first class will be Ā£1.35 and the second class 85p from April 02.2024.

I havenā€™t heard about international prices yet however I did guess it maybe another 15p.

For those interested, the April 2024 price guide is here. Itā€™s surprisingly hard to find on Royal Mailā€™s website.

Headlines:

• Ā£1.35 for a first class stamp, up from Ā£1.25 - an 8% increase
  • Ā£0.85 for a second class stamp, up from Ā£0.75 - a whopping 13.3% increase
  • Ā£2.50 for international standard (Europe-ish), up from Ā£2.20 - a whopping 13.6% increase
  • Ā£2.20 for international economy (rest of the world), up from Ā£2.00 - a 10% increase

The price rises are pretty shocking given Royal Mailā€™s abysmal performance, and the fact they reported an adjusted operating profit of Ā£758 million in their most recent annual report, along with significant performance-linked bonuses the board, a share buy-back scheme, and special dividends to shareholders! It certainly doesnā€™t seem like Royal Mail needs the money, so this is pure profiteering.

5 Likes

I thought that they were claiming operating losses in the hundreds of millions.