[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

1 Like

What did they do wrong? x

1 Like

Postcard had a big hole in and was ripped, I just sent a complaint in and never expected this. It was a postcard from a friend in Scotland

3 Likes

Really, ooh, well done you! I got one that was ripped in half with almost all the words missing, I didn’t think to complain, I suppose they’d blame someone else since it came from Russia… how much stamp compensation did they send? x

5 Likes

I’m amazed that arrived in that condition!

2 Likes

The one thing still visible was my address! I had to ask the team for the ID number x

New prices from April just dropped online. Not had chance to read fully but headlines below - for letters up to 100g which I suppose will concern most of us.

UK 1st - £1.35
UK 2nd - £0.85

International Standard - £2.50
International Economy - £2.20

11 Likes

Interestingly, I’ve spotted a slight drop in prices for larger second class letters:

Compared to what is listed currently on the second class webpage: https://www.royalmail.com/sending/uk/2nd-class

8 Likes

First class large letters will increase in price however. Here are current prices:
https://www.royalmail.com/sending/uk/1st-class

With one hand Royal Mail giveth, with the other it taketh.

Edit: poring over price sheets is keeping me entertained on a long train journey!

7 Likes

It’s a lot political I think Chris.

I reiterate my view that no government will tinker with the USO in an election year so this may drag on…

1 Like

Thank you for the update @simmo11, I refuse to like the message though because TWO POUND FIFTY for ONE postcard is INSANE :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

20 Likes

I suppose the only “good” news is 1st + 2nd still is surface mail.

Now, what stamp values do I want to make up from 1st to airmail, or shall I just get a mixed bag from Philatelink, or …?

3 Likes

Especially with the unreliability towards certain destinations, it will make expired cards harder to stomach…

5 Likes

time to buy some stamps :thinking: and do more calculation :face_with_spiral_eyes:

4 Likes

Just had a look on philatelink and most of the larger make up stamps (90p+) are either out of stock or very low stock :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear:

Guess I’ll have to sit down and math it out later :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve ordered, but as a mostly envelope-mail sender (letters), I have a bit more room for the stamps.

1 Like

“The company said that adults typically spent less than £7 a year on stamped letters and people now received two letters a week on average.”

We’re far from typical! Between us, we probably keep the average above £5!

10 Likes

Do you write “surface mail” on the card somewhere? I’ve never tried it. And it’s only outside Europe, is that right?

£2.50 air mail is terrible :sob:

4 Likes

I write International Economy.

And don’t forget, there are lots of countries that are partially in Europe, so they have to go at the higher rate. Places such as Russia (including Siberia) , Kazakhstan, Turkey.

6 Likes

These days I have a stamp but yes, that’s best

1 Like