Things on Postcards that You Did Not Enjoy Reading Written by Postcrossers ? :(

wow! that’s RUDE - how could someone even ask that?

8 Likes

Yes, of course friendly manner, I think mine were and their reply, even though filled with confusion.
Many members ask to write about you/your life/experiences, there’s nothing wrong with it.

I think my point is, even when you ask something, the other one can understand it differently. They can write from different point what you mean, with different intensity. And they way one think postcard are written “correctly”, is not the same for everyone.

4 Likes

Hahaha!!!
This takes the cake :smiley:

On the subject, everyone has been kind so far, but a card without message is less enjoyable than anything else.

4 Likes

Tatami mat measure ~ very very interesting & traditional (or old world, I’m sorry if the word usage isn’t correct). It’s be great to learn a bit more about this.

3 Likes

Early this year I got a postcard preaching a certain religion. That is not the first preaching one I received from Postcrossing. I don’t like being preached, but well, I can’t control what people write, right? shrug

But- I wrote in my profile that “I am the type of person who is always trying to escape reality”. And this postcrosser took this as his chance to preach by lecturing me that “YOU SHOULD NOT ESCAPE REALITY WHICH THE GOD BESTOWED YOU. WHAT THE GOD GIVES YOU IS WHAT YOU DESERVE, BE GRATEFUL OF IT!” All in capital letters, and that “BE GRATEFUL OF IT!” even came with a double underline.

I’m all good now, so no need to worry. But that one arrived at the hardest time of my life, where too many accidents all happened at once. I was dangerously close to the cliff edge and had almost ended my life because of this last straw. Ironically enough, Postcrossing is one of the methods I use to escape reality. Ha.

I can now give a heartful laugh at that pure garbage (sorry if this offends anyone, but to me it really is!). Though I am still shocked at the fact that such absurd arrogance actually hurted me, and hurted me really bad.

I have been quite “old” at Postcrossing. So I can understand that there will be other postcards like this if I still want to participate. There’s simply no way to avoid it.

And I chose to continue participating. But… I don’t know, perhaps I will need to warn myself from time to time, like “You might receive other malicious messages, intended or not intended, from Postcrossers. Are you ready for it?” Hopefully my answer can stay 100% positive. :slight_smile:

53 Likes

Omg, it’s horrible. I think it was outright passive aggression and imposition. I am very sorry that such a message came to you at such a difficult time in your life. I want to hug you tightly and send rays of good

12 Likes

I know one does not always have the energy or the mood, (also one does not have to have that energy and mood), and yes, usually one can take some consideration granted as social standard …

… still maybe this is the chance to explain to the user about the different perceptions, so that they can learn from it

1 Like

There’s a big wide world between happy postcrossing and telling secrets!

3 Likes

There is. But some people really expect to be told very private things, while they tell nothing about themselves in tveir profile.

2 Likes

I wonder what some people expect, there is not much space on a postcard. Sometimes I`m the one who just wish you a nice year and tell you about my cats ( I love talking about them) or something like that. It doest mean that its not meaningful, I do take effort and time in every card. Sometimes i cant find anything in the profile I can respond to.
I got so many of the only Happy Postcrossing text, but I never thought in a bad way about it. I just think that they don’t speak English that well.
Oh and I never put a signature on it, sometimes I tell my Name or Nickname, I dont like to see my Signature in Youtube Videos or Instagram blogs.

14 Likes

I don’t like messages that criticise my country’s politicians or government, as I really don’t want to read about that on a card. It somewhat dampens the mood.

11 Likes

I have had that occasionally in forum posts, but not on received cards.

1 Like

I’ve gotten a few cards that were offensive to me. I’m quite liberal politically and at times have made that clear on my profile and I did get a couple of cards from MAGA supporters using quite gross language about Joe Biden. People are entitled to their political opinions of course (although I do not think human rights are a matter of opinion) so I just chalked it up to people being stupid and moved on. But I was offended, at least a little.

I’m also bisexual and have previously only been in relationships with women (again, I had mentioned my relationship as part of my profile) and one card referred to me as a very offensive sexual slang term for lesbian.

27 Likes

ah but at least you tell about your cats, you can talk to me about your cats any time you want! (I’m going to visit two sets of kittens today - one set with a momma and a set of bottle babies; I have two cats that own me)

I don’t think badly of someone who doesn’t write much but it does make me sad if all they say is happy postcrossing. Or attaches a sticker with a spot for a date and the weather and write nothing else (although it redeems the card if it’s one of the cutest darn cards I have gotten). I guess not everyone is in it for the human factor - maybe they just like postcards. I try to remember that we are all different. Still, I love it when people share a little bit about their way of life, their life, the wildlife in their area, just a little something

5 Likes

Unfortunately you do not write much about yourself and your other hobbies in your profile, so it is a bit difficult to find a point to connect.

I’m confused. Sweety has quite a bit on her profile, I just looked. I could write quite a bit to her or even send her a recipe.

5 Likes

Could it be that you have confused her with someone else? There are enough informations to connect to :thinking:

2 Likes

Personally, I think their profile has enough information to connect. I can already tell that we have some points in common with movies/TV series, cooking and multiple things from her wishlist. I would focus on those points😁

2 Likes

No, I mean her. She lists some topics, like cooking or reading, but I think it would be helpful to get a bit more into deep.

Yes, this holiday is transitioning to Indigenous Peoples Day, and school curriculums/textbooks in different states can vary, so it might be confusing seeing the label on calendars, etc.

1 Like