Things on Postcards that You Did Not Enjoy Reading Written by Postcrossers ? :(

I think there is enough on my profile, its maybe just not the topics you like.
And I wasnt the one who coplaint about getting a text thats too short.
If it doest klick, its fine for me, if it does than perfect. Thats just how I handle this too, like I said a couple hours ago.
Personally I like to read shorter profiles, with informations I can write about.
Your profile is long, but for me its less information than mine and the only thing I could write to you is about books. See, everyone sees things differently, quantity is not quality.

4 Likes

You know… I’m not really bothered by much of anything anyone has written, even when it’s “offensive”. Having said that, I prefer when people write more than “Happy Postcrossing”. In such instances, it hardly feels like a connection.

7 Likes

I would only do that if people give an opener for that in their profile. I had some interesting discussions around the Brexit with somepbody that I exchanged a few cards with through the forum. In my profile, you will find an interest in politics, I would not mind at all if somebody criticizes my government in an intelligend/thoughtful way, whether I agree or not (as long as I am not called a Nazi or something like that)

4 Likes

Hey,
Well i wouldn’t consider “tiny” as an bad word in fact in germany we have a trend that’s going on with tiny houses…i think it comes from the US (?) I’m not sure https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny-house_movementb
But if i think of Japan i would think of the tasty and interesting food, the interesting culture, robots, technical innovations, cute dogs like shiba inu/akita inu, Anime/Manga, people like to cover their mouth while laughing, kind humans, Geisha, Ninja, interesting architecture, beautiful nature and in fact tiny apartments in cities :blush:…i think japan must be a really cool place :tulip:

Yeah, i hate it when they talk about the war situation :pray:t2: I’m not here to talk about war

4 Likes

I received a very heavily scented card that had a canned message asking that I send a card with their favorite theme in return. No other greeting, just an ask for a card. It was an interesting card despite the annoying message, but it smelled too bad for me to keep :frowning:

9 Likes

To address the original concern: I sort of feel that if you ask such a question you must be prepared for the answer, akin to asking, “Do these pants make me look fat?” It would be nice if everyone searched for the first three NICE things they think of, but some people will take it literally. As for extremely short messages, most of those that I receive come from countries where I would expect a limited knowledge of English and with different alphabets. I assume these people are doing their best. I feel extremely lucky that English is the Postcrossing lingua franca.

10 Likes

I am happy to say that since 2017 I did not receive any offensive, weird or making me sad card. Or maybe I am too much positive and not demanding person…

2 Likes

Any “Russians are not guilty” text. Like, what do you expect to hear from a Ukrainian? What do I agree with you? It is better not to write anything about politics than this. So, that’s the only text I don’t want to receive.

12 Likes

I think it’s more about the “blank cards in an envelope” part.That’s not really in the spirit of postcrossing and I can see why that would bother some people who might not have touristy card at hands. I do have them but many smaller towns in the Netherlands don’t.

13 Likes

Here in NJ, Columbus Day is considered Italian Pride Day and still celebrated widely. Columbus Day became a holiday because the largest mass lynching in America was conducted against Italian immigrants. It’s sad that this isn’t taught in schools. I don’t know what message you received, but I certainly write about attending parades and having Italian meals and such when it is Columbus Day. My area also celebrates St Patrick’s Day for a full month, with parades every weekend. Part of postcrossing is getting to know about other people’s culture, which varies from state to state, and region to region, not just from country to country.

5 Likes

I’m sorry - I do understand how it may not be fun for you, but this made me laugh, because now I want to meet the Queen Consort of the UK and tell her “Oh by the way, your name is also the name of one of my cats” :smile_cat:

To remain in-topic: in my profile I state that I’m a vegetarian, and once I got a card showing a chicken recipe, with a long detailed explanation on the back about how to make it perfect. I am sometimes a bit of a Pollyanna, so I like to think that the sender just missed that part and was really, really proud of that typical recipe from their area and actually wanted to share something tasty. But having been a vegetarian for most of my life, and being used to unkind remarks about it, the not-Pollyanna part of me wonders if it was just their way to slag me off.
(on the other hand, my husband makes a great vegan version of that recipe :yum:)

19 Likes

My least favorite messages are the meaningless “Happy Postcrossing from X” or “Hope you are well” type, where it feels like the sender put in zero effort.

My second least favorite are where the sender misunderstood something in my profile. For example I used to list “archaeology” as one of my “interests” and one person wrote on the card how cool they thought it was that I was an archaeologist, and what fascinating work that must be. I’m not, I just enjoy reading about archaeology. It made me really uncomfortable, partly because I wasn’t sure whether I should correct this misunderstanding in my hurray message, and partly because if I have the card out in my house and a guest sees it - or if I die and a family member goes through my things - they will think I was lying about myself. I’ve taken some things out of my profile, and reworded others, to reduce the chance of getting more messages like that.

@isabetta
“Vegetarian” can also mean different things to different people, and here in the US (especially among older generations) many people who call themselves “vegetarian” just avoid red meat (they still eat things like fish and chicken) so it may have been a complete misunderstanding, where the sender thought a chicken recipe would be perfect for a vegetarian. Big fail :anguished:

12 Likes

I don’t hate it, but I find it strange when people write on the postcard exactly what the first paragraph of their profile is. It’s surprisingly common.

22 Likes

When I see both of those cases, I think it’s because that’s their boilerplate text for postcards. I’m not a fan of those types of cards either, because they didn’t (appear to) make an effort to tailor the message to me. Interesting related topic: “One liner” generic postcards

5 Likes

This is more common for me than ‘Happy Postcrossing’ (or similar) ones.

1 Like

Hmm, I guess I do this occasionally…

But I don’t read the profiles of people I get cards from so I think it’s ok

2 Likes

That happened to me once. It was clear that someone drew two or more names, and then carefully read profiles in order to tailor a nice personal message to each recipient. And then I think they got their wires crossed, because my whole message was to “Renee” and about several interesting topics that are not on my profile. I just smiled and wondered what interesting things Renee was reading about (probably lighthouses, horses and bicycles). I wasn’t upset or offended at the message - just thought it was amusing.

PS - when I say “tiny”, I usually am praising someone’s cleverness in optimizing a small space and making it fun and appealing. It would definitely be a positive connotation. I had the great pleasure of spending a short time in Yokosuka and I have described the “tiny but beautiful container gardens” that I saw in front of many small homes and apartments. And I was passing along how impressed I was about the creativity and skill it took to make them so nice.

15 Likes

It’s really rare to read profiles that leave me scratching my head. I recently read someone’s profile that wanted a BLANK postcard and asked not to forget to put beautiful stamps on the envelope. There was no please or thank you. It’s like being invited to a party, but the host tells you to leave your gift on the porch and go away.:flushed:

I will rephrase a wonderful card I received

Someone cares about you [your request] not me but someone cares.

20 Likes

I have received postcards from members of certain religions encouraging to look for God, to join them or adding some bible text. I understand it’s their way to connect and I always replied them with a kind message. But receiving those postcards made me uncomfortable. Even there was one from Germany with a big envelope and tons of postcards of their divinity. What should I do with them? I throw them away, it smelled so bad for me.
And I know there’s no message on my profile asking not to talk about religion or politics, but I don’t want a “don’t” on my profile. They want to talk about it, ok. I will register the postcards, but probably I won’t keep them. Yes, 4 of them are gone.
And there’s were another two postcard talking about the war on Europe. Asking me to pray for it. Maybe it’s just a phrase extra as they’re worries for those ladies. Again, I replied nicely and thanked for the Postcards.
As we say on my country, don’t talk about religion, politics or soccer if you don’t want to start a discussion/fight :wink:

18 Likes

Your name is given to you by your parents but the username is something you chose. It’s possible people think you like that name or it has a special meaning to you and so they use it in the greeting. That would be my guess.

4 Likes