TALK in ENGLISH - Visitors Corner - 2024

Hi!

First of all I don’t know if I had to put this in a certain topic, if so, please tell me where to post it or move it there :slight_smile:

I started Postcrossing in the beginning of this year, and to my surprise I am loving it more than I thought. Buying all kind of cute stationary, my heart is happy!

I’m about to post card #11, because whenever someone receives one I ask for a new address, I don’t mind it. But I’ve only received 2 so far. Is that normal? Does it take a while to get a flow or will it just be like this? Again, I do not mind it, I’m just curious. So far I’m like a child waiting for the mailman to come and for my husband to get the mail for me. (I can’t get it myself as the mailboxes are in front of our flat and it’s a hassle to get there with the wheelchair so when my husband comes home I attack him and ask if he checked the mailbox. It’s hilarious).

How did your startup go?

King regards,
Stuetel

2 Likes

Hi, just be patience.
If you get Mail from Germany ,it is there in a week but otherwise it takes longer.
Maybe you get Valentine mail this week.:grinning:
Greets Silvy

Hi Peggy in the beginning it takes a while. I see 5 of your cards are registered and you’ve received 2 cards. That means there are 3 cards on your way now. Someone gets your address as soon as one of your cards gets registered. I started last summer and I still check my postnl app every day to see if there are any cards that should be delivered. It’s the first thing I check before getting up :see_no_evil:.

2 Likes

Welcome @stuetel I know the feeling. I started Jan. 7th out of curiosity and I like it more then I thought.

I have 5 cards traveling, one to Russia (my first card) is traveling already for 33 days and some others take much longer then PostNL predicts. So you have to be patient, which is hard, since I can’t sent any more cards at the moment, until one gets registered as being received. Therefor I started to join challenges, requests and Round Robins on the forum and that is fun too.

Hello everyone! When I am writing postcards, I often see three place names: Holland, Netherlands, and Dutch, but in reality, they are all sent to Netherlands! May I ask what is the difference between the three of them? If I make a mistake (writing one of the other two), can the recipient receive it?

1 Like

@AdriaOU17
Dutch is the language we speak in the Netherlands. Holland is not a country. We have two provinces called Zuid-Holland and Noord-Holland. But a lot of foreigners think that the Netherlands is called Holland. So some Dutch people maybe write Holland to make it easier. But the correct way is The Netherlands. If you write Holland in stead I am pretty sure it will arive as well. But to be safe just write The Netherlands :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Hi! :slight_smile:

We are just back from our holiday in Arnhem and I´ve sent my first travel mode postcards from there.
But I´m still a bit confused about the price of the stamps :confused:.
I´ve looked up the prices before on the PostNL-website and was sure that an international postcard stamp is 1,65€. So I wasn´t worried that I got 2 stamps in a book store (with a PostNL-counter) for 1,65€ each (the employee cut out 2 stamps of a 5-pack “Echt Hollands Internationaal 1”). So far, so good :slight_smile:.
Yesterday I got 5 “Postzegel Internationaal koning Willem-Alexander” at an AH for 1,75€ each (so 8,75€ in total like on the website).
Were the postage costs raised from 31.03. to 01.04. by 0,10€ or was I undercharged by the very friendly book employee?

(If this question is something for the visitors corner, feel free to move the post :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Hi Dave, I hope you enjoyed your trip to Arnhem! The current price for an international stamp is €1,75. The price went up on Jan 1st, from €1,65 last year. So it looks like you were undercharged by the book employee.

1 Like

Hi Veerle,

That clears things up, although I feel a bit bad for underpaying. But at least we also bought some postcards there :neutral_face:.

Thank you for the fast reply :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Hello!
I was visiting Amsterdam on holiday last year and wrote several postcards and mailed most of them while I was there. However, I had not finished writing one postcard to my mother and intended to mail it before leaving, but forgot to. I assumed I’d mail it on my next visit to The Netherlands, but I probably won’t be there again for a while.
It already has an international stamp on it, I just need someone to put it in the outgoing mail in The Netherlands so that it gets a Netherlands postmark on it and will be delivered to my mother.
I will mail it to you in an envelope, all you need to do is just remove it from the envelope and put it in the outgoing mail.
In exchange for this favor, I will use several nice stamps on the envelope and will try to find stamps that match your interest.
Thank you!

2 Likes

@Angelthepup22 Hi Trevor I am happy to help you!

1 Like

Amazing thank you very much, please PM your address :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi again! :smiley:

Another postage related question:
Is it possible to mail square cards (14,5cm x 14,5cm) as a normal 1,75€ postcard in the Netherlands?
I still got some left and you can´t mail them as “normal” postcards in Germany, so I was thinking that the next time I´m in travel mode may be a chance to let 1 or 2 of them go :slight_smile:.

Yes, no worries!
Minimum: 140 x 90 mm, maximum: 380 x 265 x 32 mm

1 Like

Hi @FlyingPenguin,

See here

to Germany/ other countries

2 Likes

Thank you @ScubaET and @JetteLise for the fast replies. The restriction on square cards seems to be a German oddity then.
So I´m going to send my square postcards from Arnhem next time :smiley:.

3 Likes

:woozy_face:

I think this also applies to sending square cards from Austria.
This was still the case in 2022.

During my stay in Austria I sent some square cards to the Netherlands.

2 Likes

@AdriaOU17 to add some extra information:
The reason why Holland is sometimes used for The Netherlands is because, during the time the Dutch sailors became famous all over the world, The Netherlands as a country used to be a bit looser than it is now. It used to be more like a joined force of several provinces. Most of the sailors were from the Holland province (nowadays split up between Noord-/North and Zuid-/South Holland) and thus, they introduced themselves as being from Holland.

We still use the term Holland ourselves when we refer to the Netherlands, but only in some specific situations, like in football or when we talk about Dutch as spoken in the Netherlands as opposed to Dutch spoken in Belgium

2 Likes

Hi everybody,

Are here postcrossers who are interested in a meet-up in oktober 2024 in Maastricht for the World Postcrossing Day?
If so, what would you like to do or see ( besides writing cards and meeting other postcrossers off course)

Please let me know :grinning:

Love,
Vivian

2 Likes