TALK in ENGLISH - Visitors Corner - 2024

Hello!
I was visiting Amsterdam on holiday last year and wrote several postcards and mailed most of them while I was there. However, I had not finished writing one postcard to my mother and intended to mail it before leaving, but forgot to. I assumed I’d mail it on my next visit to The Netherlands, but I probably won’t be there again for a while.
It already has an international stamp on it, I just need someone to put it in the outgoing mail in The Netherlands so that it gets a Netherlands postmark on it and will be delivered to my mother.
I will mail it to you in an envelope, all you need to do is just remove it from the envelope and put it in the outgoing mail.
In exchange for this favor, I will use several nice stamps on the envelope and will try to find stamps that match your interest.
Thank you!

2 Likes

@Angelthepup22 Hi Trevor I am happy to help you!

1 Like

Amazing thank you very much, please PM your address :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi again! :smiley:

Another postage related question:
Is it possible to mail square cards (14,5cm x 14,5cm) as a normal 1,75€ postcard in the Netherlands?
I still got some left and you can´t mail them as “normal” postcards in Germany, so I was thinking that the next time I´m in travel mode may be a chance to let 1 or 2 of them go :slight_smile:.

Yes, no worries!
Minimum: 140 x 90 mm, maximum: 380 x 265 x 32 mm

1 Like

Hi @FlyingPenguin,

See here

to Germany/ other countries

2 Likes

Thank you @ScubaET and @JetteLise for the fast replies. The restriction on square cards seems to be a German oddity then.
So I´m going to send my square postcards from Arnhem next time :smiley:.

3 Likes

:woozy_face:

I think this also applies to sending square cards from Austria.
This was still the case in 2022.

During my stay in Austria I sent some square cards to the Netherlands.

2 Likes

@AdriaOU17 to add some extra information:
The reason why Holland is sometimes used for The Netherlands is because, during the time the Dutch sailors became famous all over the world, The Netherlands as a country used to be a bit looser than it is now. It used to be more like a joined force of several provinces. Most of the sailors were from the Holland province (nowadays split up between Noord-/North and Zuid-/South Holland) and thus, they introduced themselves as being from Holland.

We still use the term Holland ourselves when we refer to the Netherlands, but only in some specific situations, like in football or when we talk about Dutch as spoken in the Netherlands as opposed to Dutch spoken in Belgium

2 Likes

Hi everybody,

Are here postcrossers who are interested in a meet-up in oktober 2024 in Maastricht for the World Postcrossing Day?
If so, what would you like to do or see ( besides writing cards and meeting other postcrossers off course)

Please let me know :grinning:

Love,
Vivian

2 Likes

@VivianVitruvian
Welcome to the forum :slightly_smiling_face:
I moved your question to here, because it is a better place for it as the General Meetup Discussions .
But I’m sure @JetteLise can give you advice where you can ask here in Dutch.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Voorsteltopic Nederlandstalige postcrossers - Vragen, antwoorden, adviezen, tips enz

Thank you very much!

Not only Germany, I’m afraid. In Belgium you need to pay triple the postage for square cards.

1 Like

Hello Dutch postcrossers,

I would like to ask for your help - i bought 4 The Netherlands themed cards, now i’m looking for someone from The Netherlands to write them and mail back to me written and stamped. Would you be interested to do it?

You can choose to write back just one card or multiple cards. In return i will send you Malaysia series or tourist cards. Or you can tell me your request and i will find something you like.

Looking forward to your reply or pm :hugs:

1 Like

Hi, I’m not really understanding your question. You have cards and you would like someone from the Netherlands mail them to you. You are sending the cards to the Netherlands and then “we” would send them back written and with a Dutch stamp to you, is that wat you are asking?

Hello @Winkey yes that’s correct. Will you or anyone from Netherlands kindly help me? :smiling_face:

1 Like

Of course I would love to dieya

1 Like

Yay! Thank you so much @LiveLaughLoveLeafs :heart_eyes:
I will pm you shortly :two_hearts:

1 Like

Hi all! My Dutch isn’t so great so I’m going to write this in here… last year (when I was living in Australia) I hosted my first postcrossing meetup for WPD, and I really enjoyed it! I wanted to do the same this year in Leiden. However, I can see that meetups here seem to be quite an established thing, and there is already one planned for WPD. I’d still like to host my own meetup, but I don’t want to cause issues with what’s already planned! It would be great if someone could run me through the Dutch Postcrossing meetup etiquette, so I can get a handle on what its like!