Strange profile

Also keep in mind.

There are no rules set in stone except.
Send a postcard to and for the address you request.
Don’t scam your postal service.

No real worry or jump to conclusions.
Sure this person has a higher sent ratio than recieved. We don’t know the whole story. I have a higher sent and recieved rate by 2. Only because I decided to go inactive. You can still send out cards in the inactive mode.

There’s nothing wrong with putting your heart and soul into it and that’s fine. You are doing your part. That’s all that should matter.

Sadly other people don’t have the same attitude and we can’t control that. I love recieving cards but I’m not a big fan of writing Hurray Messages upon registering. That’s the part I really hate. At least by registering the card, the sender is informed, I recieved it.

No need to play Postcrossing police or detective. You do your thing, she does hers.

Send your card, and move on. Maybe explore the Forum, do some swaps, or tags. Or do some mental puzzles in the Everything else.

You will never be paired up again with this person.

6 Likes

“I will be disappointed if your card is not sent in an envelope - I do not like to receive postcards bare. “ A stamp collector who also says that they don’t like being obliged to cut up postcards to get at the stamps. I almost always send my cards without envelopes, as they mostly bear a prepaid postage imprint. I covered a prepaid card with used stamps and apologised for disappointing them, and told them they were more than welcome to destroy my card if they feel that they “have to”. Their profile makes it pretty clear that for them, stamp collecting is the only purpose of Postcrossing.

7 Likes

You shouldn’t need to apologise :frowning_face:
they should learn to handle their disappointment and not put other persons responsible of it.
I maybe would report that to the postcrossing team, and at least write to the profile why they think it’s important to share their disappointment and are they aware their profile seems like a manipulation to get people to send them stamps, when this is a postcard swapping site.

(And can be language difference, but it would be good they learn how they sound if they’re not aware.)

8 Likes

When I got the address of a stamp collector who clearly started that he’ll cut up the cards for stamps anyway, I took that as an excuse to send a funny ad card I wouldn’t send usually and just put on some interesting stamps. Since he didn’t seem to be interested in connection, I just wrote some generic greetings. I actually prefer the honesty - I’d be sad if he hadn’t indicated it and I would’ve sent a card that I put my heart into, just for it to get cut up!

24 Likes

I would send a card with online postage code, so they would not need to cut out a stamp, for there is none👹

23 Likes

Yes, I would like the honesty too, and it would be nice if they write something like “send your cheapest card or piece of cardboard, because I cut the stamps”. But writing about disappointment if they don’t get a card in an envelope…to me sounds they want the card and the stamps, and put pressure on the sender.

Maybe they are 5 years old and not learnt people don’t try to intimidate others with their negative feelings or reactions, but then their carer should guide how to write more normal profile.

When someone writes about their disappointment of getting a bare postcard in a postcard swapping site, it’s not good. To me it sounds they are in the wrong place now :slight_smile:

9 Likes

:laughing: Such an evil idea, but I do get your point!!!

4 Likes

Um, there are a few people saying that perhaps she has been inactive. I’m calling BS on that huge of a difference. I know this is an old post.
I’d send her my ugliest postcard because she sounds like a scammer.

3 Likes

I put in so much effort into each postcard I send. I put in love and try to honor requests even though I am not required to do so. I want them to enjoy this gift. If someone seems wonderful, I may goi the extra mile. If someone says no handmade, I don’t send my handmade (which most of my cards are) because I spend so much love and time creating them, they aren’t a curse. They are for people who would enjoy the time I took to make them.
I also got my first profile from Alaska a week ago or so. She didn’t seem too friendly. I sent a card from my collection closest to what she likes (she was into the royal family, and the closest I had was an Eiffel tower, she likes Europe). She has had hundreds of cards and only favorited one. After 60 days, a new slot will open for you, and I would report her profile. You can send one you picked up or made from anywhere. This isn’t for collectors, rather connecting.

4 Likes

Thank you for speaking up, and letting the Adms, and the community know of this type of behavior. Is not an easy decision to make. You did the right thing.

2 Likes

Exactly how would someone who has sent more cards than they have received be a scammer? If anything, they’re the one missing out! I was inactive until my difference was about 50, then I got all those cards in a couple of months. Who did I scam?

And also, how is it your business how many cards someone has favourited? Do you only send nice cards to people who will give you a like?

3 Likes

Ok, so I totally sense your huge aggression and hostility in your reply, but I’m not sure if you read the post to be so confused or maybe I didn’t type clearly what I meant so i will try again…

I wonder if the person OP was speaking of was only registering cards they liked?
That… “don’t sent Eiffel cards from Australia” stuff because she won’t register it?
This sounds like a scammer, not registering sent cards because she is being demandimg.

3 Likes

“And also, how is it your business how many cards someone has favourited? Do you only send nice cards to people who will give you a like?”

After reading the profile, I always check the favorites to get an idea of what my recipient will love the most. Do you not do this?
I mentioned this particular tab because I’ve drawn addresses with a big list of what they don’t like. I don’t go out of my way to please someone with strict demands and no favorites. You seem pretty upset by this, but i don’t understand why.

2 Likes

The original poster confirmed that admins had told them the person had been inactive for a long time, and of course they had, as if not they would have been suspended a long time a go. Over 100 cards would otherwise have gone missing without the admins doing anything about it, which seems far less likely than someone being inactive for a long time.

If you think someone asking you a question because they disagree with you is hostile, than that’s on you, but I guess I’m just sick of people making assumptions about people because they don’t do this hobby exactly like they do themselves.

And yes, I do check favourites. But I don’t send people with few or no favourites my ugliest card.

4 Likes

As I said before, my concern is that the person was not registering cards they received. If the profile is stating that she will only register cards to her liking, cards matching the place of the recipient. I understand she had been inactive, but that is a huge space. I would not have suggested this is the case had she not said she will not register postcards. I don’t know how to word this any differently.

Per my first reply, I had suggested I would send an ugly card to someone with demands one after another. Have you ever read a profile with a list of dislikes and demands?
I was not suggesting someone’s lack of likes to mean they don’t deserve a nice card.
Again, I put in so much love and time when i send a card, I want the person to enjoy.
I sent a card a few weeks ago to someone with 0 favorites, and it was a very nice card. I assumed she had no favorites to keep people open ended. She replied with a very nice message, and I enjoyed sending it.

3 Likes

F.ex. This is one thread where about inactive members have been discussed. There are many reason why people have set their profile inactive and the gap between sent and received might grow big! Not all can be assumed first hand :innocent:

2 Likes

What you think about profile where is just a link to youtube and blog? I don´t know what to think, feels like this is just a way to get followers.

3 Likes

@elikoa, if you ever draw my name, please feel free to send me a postcard you got on your travels! In fact, I think I will add that to my profile’s list of things I’m especially happy to receive. I love to hear where people have travelled, and what it means to them. But then again, any card is interesting if the person says why they chose it! Sometimes the reasons are fascinating :blush:

10 Likes

This is so very true! Getting a card telling you all about a holiday, regardless of where it was sent from, is such a delight!
And in general, like you say, anything that has a bit of explanation :smiley:

7 Likes

To be fair, most profiles are open to anything rather than details of what they’d rather not get.

3 Likes