Show us your handmade postcards and Mail Art

@reisegern @hankadl

Thank you kindly for your thoughtful response :slight_smile:

Please feel free to message me if anyone who reads my posts in this thread would like to swap with me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Recently I did some sketched ATCs using my fountain pen and the ink that was given to me by a dear Postcrossing friend. Of course I also had to make something for her using that lovely ink, so here are the two postcards I made playing with my fountain pen (was just put into the mailbox, but my friend doesn’t follow this topic, so I can already show).

That’s what I originally entered this topic for today :wink:
18 Likes

Finally got to try Clairefontaine Noir Mix Media paper. This horse is in a Gorodets folk art painting style but I’ve improvised with colors.

35 Likes

Your handwriting looks like made for this style of pen, I think, it looks almost vintage art :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like
4 Likes

Huh, a broken NATO emblem as a sign for peace? Well, we live in moving times I guess…

4 Likes

Wow, what kind of colours did you use that cover the black background that well? I first thought the image must have been cut from another paper and glued onto the black backgroung, because the red colour is so strong.

1 Like

Hi Christine,

It is gouache, but make it thick (i.e., several layers). :joy: I am surprised myself how red seems to be popping out of background nicely.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Love the frogs :frog::frog::frog:

1 Like

Playing with vintage stamps.

12 Likes

And another vintage stamps postcard

14 Likes

Dear postcrossers! Need your advice. I really want to start making postcards with my own hands, but I don’t understand what you take as a basis. Do you use regular cardboard, or do you buy special paper? Please share

I use all kind of materials, cardboard from food package or from other articles or free ads postcards, my favorite, boring postcards, every piece of cardboard actually I cut into the size of a regular postcard. @Yaroslavnaa

1 Like

This is genius! Thank you very much for sharing. And the glued elements do not fall off along the way?

1 Like

Most of the time: no :slightly_smiling_face: Some people use a paper cover with washi tape around to hold. It seems to work, I myself haven’t done that yet, but yesterday I received one with such a cover and I just had to remove it.
Sometimes I use mod podge for a protection layer. Hope my answer will help you to start with your own handmade postcards.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of this washi tape and can’t even imagine what it looks like :thinking: in my understanding, the only way out is to send it in an envelope

I think @wurzelsofie can maybe help you by showing how a covered postcard looks like. An envelope can be okay, but many Postcrossers want a postcard written and stamped without an envelope.

Have a look through here and you’ll find many threads that should answer your questions about how to get started.

I don’t keep scans of my cover sheets. Basically you cut out a piece of paper the size of your postcard and attach it all the way round with washitape. This way the card can travel written and stamped without an envelope and the front side won’t get damaged by sorting machines, or rain etc.

:green_heart: :fox_face:

4 Likes

If the elements are flat and normal paper, they 100% won’t fall off, don’t worry. Shiny paper, plastic… may not hold very well, but you would feel it. They would be sliding and peeling already in your hands. The only glued thing that I sent and didn’t survive the post without an envelope was a dried leaf. I have also received mail with missing or broken wax seals. But those are both quite exotic materials :slight_smile:

2 Likes