[RR] North American March 2021 Round Robin - Spring Is in the Air Edition - Closed!

@oniisen #2 – Beautiful Urban Sketching artwork by Kumi Matsukawa–Those spring-green trees make me feel that perhaps spring really is here! Thank you.

1 Like

#5 reporting:

#1 @cawindt – Alice Paul! I learned about her when I started going to meetings of the League of Women Voters. Unfortunately, I’ve been less involved with the group since the pandemic. Their Zoom meetings didn’t do it for me. But we see the light at the end of the tunnel, I think. Great card - thank you.

#2 @oniisen – Yum. A grilled cheese sandwich from my favorites, both dietary and postcard! Thank you. I agree, grilled cheese and tomato soup are perfect.

#4 @anon38654847 – Every Postcrosser’s favorite, an unusual mailbox - or post box, in England. Cool card. Thanks. We’re getting a lot more sunny days now, and spring is here!

1 Like

March 2021 NARR
Report #2

More March Card Madness!

#01 @cawindt: sent a terrific protest shot from the women’s suffrage movement. Shows a couple of women from the NY delegate, withstanding the rain outside the gates of the White House, calling out President Wilson with their sign. And you’re right, they would never be able to get that near the presidential residence today. Thanks!

#04 @anon38654847: sent a vintage linen reprint of a tower in Europe that I didn’t recognize. After some poking around on Google and Google Translate, I learned it was the monument to William Tell, Switzerland’s national folk hero, in Altdorf. While he is most widely known for shooting the apple off his son’s head, Tell was actually a domestic terrorist, actively defying the rule of tyrannical Austrians who had taken over the city. Great stuff. Thanks!

#05 @carolreader: sent a shot of a “crazy” board of someone trying to make connections about UFOs and Area 51. Thanks for this! I don’t get many conspiracy theory cards and this one is interesting. But you’re right, it’s getting easier than ever to believe in some of them! Thanks, Trump!

#07 @treeclimber: sent a great, if visually cluttered, shot of the Trade Winds motor inn in Rockland, Maine. Flags, a sign for a restaurant, a separate whiteboard telling when breakfast is served (5:30 to 8:30 am) and myriad Triple-A and credit card placards crowd the scene. It’s still around today, although it’s gone through a structural makeover and looks more like condo apartments. Thanks!

#08 @shesa-renegade: sent a wonderful addition to my highway postcard collection with a picturesque shot of the Banff-Jasper Highway cutting through the Canadian Rockies. Your houseboat getaway sounds like quite the adventure. Enjoy and thanks!

#16 @hootnoodle: sent a protest sign from 2003 that has just as much relevance today. Suggests that American minds are brainwashed - but they still have very bloody hands! I’m glad you are taking a break from political watch-dogging. That was an exhausting 4-years! Thank goodness we are back to somewhat normalcy and every day isn’t another reason to cringe. Thanks for the Take Action tip.

#18 @Katie333: sent a bizarre shot of a Delta Snowmobile taking tourists across the Columbia Ice Fields in Jasper National Park in Alberta, Canada. This isn’t your typical snowmobile. It’s like the Chariot the Robinson Family tooled around in while exploring planets on Lost in Space! They still offer these tours, but the mobile has been updated and has loss all the funkiness of this vintage beauty. Great shot. Thanks!

#24 @roxy: sent the totally tasteless, peeing pig postcard from the World’s Tackiest Postcard collection. I sent my copy to a friend years ago, so I knew I could count on someone like you to think of me with this classless gem. Thanks!

Okay, so all my March cards have been sent…

You can view all these incoming March cards HERE…

Thanks everyone!

Rocky Road Trip #30

2 Likes

Thank you #4 @anon38654847 interesting newspaper card.

1 Like

Update #5(?) complete…

April is now open!

2 Likes

#28 checking in before I road trip to NE tomorrow.

#1 @cawindt: Women in Science, microbiologist Esther Lederberg. I’m happy you’ve gotten a taste of warm weather. We had freezing rain this week but it didn’t last long. Bring on Spring!

#4 @anon38654847: I think this is a cover for a Dutch children’s book by Leonard Roggeveen. But when I googled it, all the results were in Dutch so I still don’t know what it’s about. :joy:

2 Likes

Idk either @FrogSalad there’s frogs in it…:rofl:

1 Like

Thanks so much for adding the link! :smiley:

Received #25 @jocrafts
Awsome wonder woman card

2 @oniisen Thank you for the great card and note. I prefer placing my desk against the wall, with no view otherwise I get no work done. If there is an option to observe what’s happening outside or just stare at the sky I would do that.

3 Likes

#13 with a BIG thank you to:

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - I love this card! We recently gave our oldest daughter my grandmother’s Singer treadle sewing machine. Part of our Covid clean out! My grandmother actually taught me to run her treadle machine when I was a teen. She sewed up a storm. I did not! I just bought my friend’s machine as I have a few projects that have sat around for years which I am determined to actually finish. My old machine just froze up and stopped working. I mostly sew crafts and Halloween costumes. If I can just talk myself into actually starting!

2 Likes

Update # 6 complete

#22 huskerhearing25 received the following cards:

#1 @cawindt Women voting card. Of course I learned from reading your card and had to research and find out even more. It is neat you picked a theme for your March card sending.

#4 @anon38654847 Handmade card with belvita bites and Riesen candy. It was very interesting and different.

#24 @roxy Lovely view card of Ottawa, Canda and pretty stamps. The parliament building is simply breathtaking. The architecture is amazing. It would be wonderful to see it in person.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip Such a cute tulip card. Also loved your hand written play on words. Some day I will get to see New York!

#7 checking in - now received all for March :slight_smile:

#1 @cawindt - b/w of Mary Church Terrell and Votes for Women. I had a wonderful teacher for US History in high school. She was awesome and covered so much including local history.

#4 @anon38654847 - a beautiful sunflower - thanks for the birthday wishes!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade - butterflies - hope your backyard is coming along. We still have a lot of work to do in our veggie garden.

#10 @emotis - fun Lego paint palette and a Buckminster Fuller stamp. It was cold this morning but the sun is shining now so we’re going to get some more done in the veggie garden.

#16 @hootnoodle - an Alarming Tales book cover and a cute stamp with a rocket ship and ‘Mommy are we there yet?’ on it. congrats on getting both your doses. my mom has gotten hers. i can finally get mine but haven’t been able to find an appointment yet.

#18 @katie333 - what a cute doggie! i’ve been thinking of framing (collage style) some of my card collections. maybe that will work for some of your cat cards.

#24 @roxy - a lovely view of detailed architecture on a Tampa porch and a Louis Kahn quote. I read through everyone’s comments and had a similar reaction as @geojosh when I saw the John Candy stamp. We just watched Uncle Buck the other night.

#26 @alcott1 - Cahokia Mounds World Heritage Site - the temps got cold again here this weekend but we should be in the 80s at the end of the week.

Thanks Everyone!

3 Likes

#11 TandemStoker. Thank you to … :heart:

#1 @cawindt
Activist Lucy Stone and a commemorative stamp of Chien-Shiung Wu. What a great idea to send cards in honor of Women’s History Month. I hyphenated my name for a few years when I first got married. I have several friends that kept their last name and several that still hyphenate. Love the sushi washi - say that 3 times LOL - and cute stickers. Thanks Craig!

#2 @oniisen
Inside the Ayosofya (Istanbul) from the book of Urban Sketching. It’s fun to see people when they’re out painting or sketching. I usually take a peek at their work when I casually pass them. I love sushi but I’ve never tried kimbap. I want to try it. Thanks Sen!

#5 @carolreader
A card with “office” words. I can hear the “fax” sound just by seeing the word. I surprised myself by getting my March cards out early. Thanks Carol!

#6 @mikeyz1
Statues of Lincoln & Douglas at their 1858 debate site. Hopefully you’ll get to visit your Aunt and this site when it’s safe to travel again. Great postage. Thanks Mike!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade
Geri’s Game / Pixar. I wish I could sketch like that. I tried my hand at doodling faces while watching Trump’s first impeachment - lots of interesting faces! Pretty sticker and washi. I hope you get to visit your Dad soon. Thanks René!

#10 @emotis
I am loving these LEGO cards. Both sons loved LEGOs and a few year ago I came across a Star Wars figure that my youngest put together. I had planned to display it, but now I can’t locate it. I wonder if he took it. Great postage. Thanks Erin!

#24 @roxy
Conoscenza Carnale / Carnal Knowledge movie poster starring Jack Nicholson and Candice Bergen. I remember watching this forbidden movie when I was a teen. I didn’t know Mike Nichols created Family. I watched the tv series, too. Great postage of Lorne Greene (Bonanza fame). Thanks Brenda!

2 Likes

#23 @normajean checking in

#2 @oniisen Thank you, Sen for the Urban Sketches postcard; I can see why these are some of your favorites. I really like it a lot. Thank you so much! I had to show my husband the California Gold Rush stamp, it’s beautiful. Sometimes it’s fun just to see how quickly he manages to pull out the correct album to show me he has the stamp I’m excited about on a postcard!

#5 @carolreader Thank you, Carol, for the awesome “Man on the Moon” :wink: postcard! Yes, we may have both watched John Glenn in the classroom at the same time, just from different locations! So cool. It was exciting then, and it still is exciting when our astronauts make their journeys. My daughter has the same interest in it, so we text back and forth while watching the take-offs and landings. (FYI–I retired after 30 yrs. of teaching in 2007. It’s hard to believe it was that long ago!) I also am impressed with the Olympic stamp! It arrived in perfect condition, as there is no visible postmark on it. NICE!

1 Like

#2 @oniisen Thanks so much for the senses pie chart card! I love Atlas Obscura- I have been on their website a lot!

#18 @katie333 Thanks for the Toronto city hall card. I probably wrote in my card to you how much I love the city and I can’t wait for the border to open

#30 @RockyRoadTrip Thanks for the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show card. I’ve always wanted to go to a real one (I suspect Tucson is pretty legit). I’ve been to a local CT one but it was kind of lame.

1 Like

Thank you @emotis #10 for the fun glittery Caesars Palace postcard. Glitter and Vegas go together like pb & j!

Thanks @huskerhearing25 for the awesome snake! I’ve had 3 as pets; I love them!!

1 Like