Roll Control: Stamp Dispensers

Loving all the photos. I have these two cute mailboxes. They have a magnet on one side. My only complaint is they are so tiny, they don’t fit a whole roll of stamps. But that’s okay, because they are cute enough that I don’t mind the extra work making mini-rolls just to use them. :nerd_face:

27 Likes

I really think the UK should step up and give us some Dalek roll dispensers.

Oh, and what about R2D2. waves frantically trying to catch Disney’s attention

8 Likes

My 1990s coin bank arrived, and I’ve stamp dispenser-ified it!

I thought the brush rabbit stamps were appropriate for a Beatrix Potter theme. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I also found this surprisingly heavy beauty on eBay for quite a bargain:

I love the grape motif. :grapes: (I should really buy a roll of our 5¢ grape stamps for this one.)

Here’s the whole family so far!

@Savagepink, those are obscenely cute. :heart_eyes: I love that they can be wall-mounted (or fridge-mounted), too!

@Jarulf, I want you to know that I did my best to find a mail-related word that would be appropriate for the stamp Daleks to broadcast, but I can’t think of one! :cold_sweat:

I don’t know if it would be functional as a stamp roll dispenser, but I need to make you aware of this:

It’s an R2D2 mailbox toy that replicates the actual USPS R2D2 mailboxes that, unbeknownst to me, populated the US in 2007.

22 Likes

Caaancel, caaancel, just doesn’t quite work, does it? :smiley:

Those R2s are cute, if a little boxy. I may have to look into this a bit more…

I don’t really use rolls or dispensers, but after joining this community I discover I have unexpected needs. Possibly a topic for next month’s summary in my newbie thread, if I do any more.

4 Likes

:robot: …ELABORATE

1 Like

Lol. I’m not sure I understand what you meant, but if I got it right, there may be another post about my impressions as a noob on the 1st.

1 Like

That was my noob attempt to be a Dalek. :rofl: I’m looking forward to your post!!

2 Likes

Ha, that’s what confused me. You make a terrifying Dalek, so I’ll try to comply. Getting seriously off topic here though. :blush:

1 Like

These are similar topics, so I thought I would post the link. I am still so thrilled I picked up this little bank/tin on my first international trip. Keeping your postage in a replica mailbox/letterbox is so apropo!

How do you store your stamps?

4 Likes

Hello! I didn’t know where to post this, but I just found this at a local antique store and immediately wanted to show as many postcrossers as I could! :grin:
(Maybe the moderators could find a more appropriate place for this post? I’m a forum newbie, sorry!)

This is a stamp roll dispenser in the shape of a United States Postal Service mailbox, complete with a tiny pull-out sponge drawer for moistening older stamps. I couldn’t find out the exact year of manufacture, but I believe it was made sometime between 1970 and 1993, when the Standing Eagle USPS logo was in use.

Overall, it is just adorable and I hope it brings a smile to other snail-mail aficionados like myself :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

24 Likes

I need this in my life!

I have been scouring Mercari and eBay and have one coming to me now lol! Thanks for the inspo!

3 Likes

[eBay search intensifies] :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I bought 2 different ones on Mercari. The blue USPS box and the white USPS mail truck! They are so cute!

Now I’m anxious to receive my 1, 2 and 3c stamps in the group buy I so I can test them out!

3 Likes

Back in the 1980’s I worked in an office that didn’t sent enough mail to justify a postage meter, but we did send a fair amount of mail.

We had a little plastic machine that automatically applied postage stamps from a roll. It was spring-loaded with two sections, kind of like pre-inked rubber stamps are today. You would load a roll of gummed stamps, and there was a water reservoir that moistened a sponge. A small blade cut the stamp from the roll at the perforation. You would simply set the machine on the envelope and press down, compressing the spring-loaded halves. It would automatically advance a stamp, moisten it, cut it from the roll, and the pressure of your pushing down would apply it to the envelope.

Surprisingly, it worked really, really well. It rarely jammed or ruined stamps by over-moistening, and you could go along at a very fast clip - about 60 envelopes per minute.

I took it for granted at the time, but I sure would love to have one of those now just for the nostalgia factor - it wouldn’t work today since all new roll stamps in the USA are pressure sensitive stickers.

5 Likes

This is such a neat topic! I mostly buy stamp sheets for Postcrossing, but we buy the flag stamps for bills. My husband’s uncle made this little wooden stamp roll holder. It has a metal cylinder inside that you place the stamp roll into (that part probably came from a woodworking catalog), then you feed the stamps through the two slots.

7 Likes

I have this one that includes a little scale

7 Likes

Ooh! That would be such a good turning project; I didn’t even think to look for stamp roll dispenser hardware sold for woodworking. What a fantastic handmade gift.

1 Like

That wooden one that looks like a blue collection box in the USA. I might have to search for it and buy it. Thanks for sharing all these neat dispensers.

1 Like

Discovered one I had never seen before on my grandmother’s desk!

3 Likes

That’s adorable… I love the design! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like