Recipient deleted image

Sorry to hear that happened to you. I agree that it’s surprising, but who knows what their reasoning is. I also had a sent card deleted, which matched the person’s wishes. I was hopeful to have it in my sent cards wall because it was very nice, but I understand that it’s their right 100% to remove it :confused:

This has happened to me a few times and to be honest, it did hurt me at first. I take the time to put a little piece of my soul into each card I send, take a photo and upload onto the website. I understand they are not always the best quality photos (I am working on getting a scanner at the moment) but its an extra effort on my part. Having someone delete that makes me feel a bit unappreciated, almost like I’ve done something wrong. I always read through my recipients profile to find a card I think they would enjoy. On some occasions, I even went out of my way and bought one since I did not have anything that was on their wish list in my collection. I am always kind and never sent anything hurtful or offensive.

Like many of you, I like to have my sent and received walls match up. Sure its just pixels at the end of the day but its also a digital documentation of my postcrossing experience. I like to be able to see what I did send out to each person. Regardless, I understand once I mail the card it is out of my hands. I cannot control what the recipient does with it. I do wonder why, though. Did they not like what I sent them? Are they only displaying certain cards on their wall? Did I really miss the mark THAT much? People have the right to remove anything off of their wall if they choose to do so. I personally would never think to do anything like this but everyone is different.

15 Likes

This thing about the wall that a recipient can delete them is a reason that I stopped doing official cards. Now I only do private swaps.

2 Likes

Wow, I am really sorry that happened to you. That is awful. :frowning:

2 Likes

Maybe they accidentally deleted the image or they thought that image quality is not good enough and they planned to re-upload better image. Or maybe because there are some missing images in your received wall, they thought that you don’t care about completeness of your sent wall :man_shrugging: :woman_shrugging:

Or maybe the image was damaged, and they like it and wish to have it some day again, so they removed it so it doesn’t show as received?

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Empty Hurray messages

Out of 7588 received postcards, there are 21 he left on his wall. If all others were damaged, he must have the worst postal service in the world. I also doubt he will ever re-upload the missing 7000+ cards.

5 Likes

honestly, i have deleted two pre-uploaded images in my 10 year Postcrossing experience.

one showed a peter rabbit sick in bed. at that time, my dog was very sick so it was hard for me to accept animals suffering type of image showing all the time online on my wall. i keep the card but i messaged the sender later that i had to delete it with the reason and asked for understanding.

second one showed a japanese teenage tv idol girl wearing bikini’s that the sender (male) likes. i am female and from japan and am too used to such images on tv here and not interested at all. i do not understand why such a card / image has to be shown online all the time on my wall. i somehow keep the card and i even thanked him anyway but would not prefer it showing on my wall. it kind of distracts me. it was sent from a different Asian country.

i have upside down images, blurred images and whatnot on my walls but i do not mind at all about them, on the other hands.

11 Likes

Had you written this information earlier, it would’ve been easier to know it might not be a case of damaged card :slight_smile:

They do actually write over 90% comes damaged and that they like to keep their wall almost empty. (Behind the link, where they have their profile, but I assume you did read it, when you chose a topic they wished.)

Reading this, I would not expect to see my card on their wall, or at least it is more likely they don’t keep it there, than they do. Perhpas, if it looks like the recipient is likely to not keep the picture on their wall, and I would like to have it, I’d send something that I have doubles, maybe already showing on my sent wall.

5 Likes

Is this the same person you are now remembering again?
I wonder did they combine their possible two profiles, because I can’t see how to send cards so fast. (Edit. I don’t know if it’s possible to combine profiles :slight_smile: )

But like I’ve already answered earlier, they have their pictures elsewhere, obvieusly they have every right to do so and there is no bad intentions in taking the scan away. And, from what I understand, it won’t be a surprise to the sender (like I understood from your later message you sounded surprised that they didn’t keep the image, and it was a different person, but I think it’s the same and you still feel bad about this).

But I see this has been hurtful to you, and I feel sorry for that.

I just replied to suggestions that they plan to upload a better picture. The info wasn’t on the profile when I sent the card but that’s a good suggestion, ty.

1 Like

I have seen many times pictures of cards destroyed by the mail sorting machines, they “eat” the cards, letting only bits and pieces…maybe it was what happened with your card?
(Almost all the handmade cards I received were inside envelopes and I’m grateful for that as they arrived perfectly :relaxed:)

Ew creepy postcards are the worst.

I’m glad I’ve not received any of those.

But then I don’t upload any of my postcards before I send them. Mostly because I think if the recipient likes what I sent (and yes I read their profile including a look at their wall for any favourites before I choose a card to send them)… they will upload it themselves.

If they don’t upload that’s okay too. I really don’t mind. I’m also not that great with tech due to injuries so there are days just getting a postcard registered is the most I can manage on my smartphone :joy:

So I’m open minded to whatever the process is. That said there are some that turned up so mangled I uploaded the awesome stamps because I figured the sender must have made a huge effort (not that I could see the front of the card). It came from the US

2 Likes

@Blissbee
yes, really, think about it this way, you are from Australia. you would not want an Australian teenage tv idol girl wearing bikini image pre-uploaded by some males in other Oceanian countries on your wall, right ? dont you just go like , what ???

1 Like

I recently sent a postcard to someone. I uploaded the photo of the card, but when it was registered, the photo was gone.
I really uploaded it, because I check it multiple times. But when I looked closer into the account of the receiver, I saw he only had photos on his ‘received-cards’ wall of cards that match his preferences one way or another. In other words: he didn’t like my card and just deleted my photo…
I already emailed him asking if he could upload a photo again, since it is my only missing photo on my wall.
He didn’t replace it so far. But what do you think about this? Is he right for deleting the photo or should you always just keep the photo in place?

2 Likes

Check in here

2 Likes

Thank you for point that topic out! I’m going to have a look there.

1 Like

That doesn’t have to mean he didn’t like your card, perhaps he just likes to have his wall sorted in a special way?

I understand that you’re feeling disappointed - many Postcrossers make this experience, me too. A formerly uploaded photo is missing on the wall, and we just have to accept it because the receiver is “master” of the walls as soon as the postcard has arrived. Don’t worry too much about the reasons… :wink:

I keep uploading my cards, and most pictures stay on the wall.

4 Likes

In my opinion it is just rude if the receiver of a postcard deletes the image uploaded by the sender. I only find it justified if the receiver replaces it with a scanned image of better quality or if the received postcard contains an offensive / inappropriate / distasteful image.
There is a favorites wall to highlight examples of what kind of cards one likes, after all.
It is not in the interest of the receiver either to delete uploaded images of received postcards one does not like, as there is a higher risk of receiving unwanted duplicates in the future. :grinning:
I am also surprised by the fact that - as a sender - you’re not allowed to add any (short) description of the postcard you are sending (for example an English translation of a national quote or just mentioning some interesting short explanatory notes).

9 Likes