Recipient deleted image

Thank you for showing what can happen to a handmade card. I will take that into consideration when sending one. I would like to receive a handmade card one day, too. However if it came like that, I would take the photo of it and show it to the sender in my Thank you message but I would probably not replace their photo on the wall with the blank one.

5 Likes

Does anyone ever asked postcrossing for an statement why it is programmed that way? If not I will ask. I sent a beautiful card and the recipient deleted it :pensive: I’m also so sad. Thankfully I still have it as a sent card on my Instagram account :disappointed:

2 Likes

When you post a physical card, it passes from being something you own to something the receiver owns. Same with the image on the wall.

16 Likes

Although like many others, I’ve come to terms with the current image upload feature, the discussion here prompts me from time to time to think about the mismatch between the level of control (received cards > sent cards) and the potential attachment we have to the cards (received cards < sent cards).

1 Like

And that is ok, but you should be able to keep it on you wall as a memory. But that’s only my opinion.

1 Like

The only images I delete are bible quotes. I wonder if I should tell the sender about it to avoid confusion? I also register them without a message because I don’t want to be rude.

6 Likes

Sure, you can tell about it. Especially when in your profile you say “I like all postcards”, when in fact you don’t.

I love the Bible, I devoted my life to studying it. I have a few cards with Bible verses, which I don’t intend to send to everyone. One reason for that is that I carefully read the person’s profile and the other reason is that the message in the card would have to match what’s on the card, because I always mention it to the person why I chose that specific card for them.

I like Postcrossing. People have very interesting preferences and diverse interests in life.

14 Likes

I don’t like cruelty to animals or hate speech either but I don’t find it necessary to mention that. People should be polite and not send anything offensive without a good reason to believe it is wanted.

7 Likes

Occasionally I upload cards that I send, but do not feel hurt if receiver deletes it or uploads better photo of it. In most cases, image remains untouched.

And what I do with images of cards that I receive? Even if I do not like the card, I will upload the image as I am doing so from the first card I received. Sometimes I will delete the pre uploaded photo and replace it with better one to ensure better view to other.

5 Likes

wow thats weird. that never happened to me before.

Serious question which might seem harsh:

Why are you all so obsessed about a perfectly recorded wall of cards? It’s pictures - or a bunch of pixels, really.

19 Likes

It’s the pixelised record of the joy I (hopefully) spread the last five years you could say.

4 Likes

So you consider Bible quotes offensive and equal to cruelty to animals or hate speech? I think this is rather odd.
And - sorry, my personal opinion - registering a postcard without a message after receiving a postcard you did not like although the sender could not read that from your profile IS rude.

34 Likes

But does the record have to be flawless? Like the postcard, it’s out of your control now …

4 Likes

You can easily say on your profile that you don’t want / would rather not receive religious quotes/texts without offending believers. And if they choose to be offended, that’s their problem, not yours. If you put “I like all postcards” you are leaving the door wide open for any and everything which could truly be offensive. And I agree with @manuchka, deliberately registering a card without a message is rude. It only takes two seconds to type “thanks for the card”.

14 Likes

I always wonder the same thing when I read those comments.

3 Likes

I’m aware it’s out of my control, but when some asks for Diddle cards and I send a Diddl card, isn’t it normal to expect to be able to look at it on my wall of sent cards? I don’t mind at all when someone uploads a better image but you just don’t expect it to be just deleted.

5 Likes

Maybe they will upload it again. It has happened to me many times, sometimes with even worse image :grin:

2 Likes

Maybe it’s possible for the postcrossing team to make sure that your sent images won’t be removed, if the receipient decides to delete the picture from their wall. So you can still see it on your own sent wall and the recipient can do whatever they want with their received wall?

9 Likes

Try to think of the Postcard Wall on Postcrossing like your actual wall at home: you can only have the postcards you received in your wall - the ones you have sent are in other people’s walls and it’s up to them to control what goes on them.

So only the received postcards wall can be controlled. Some users prefer to not have postcards in their received wall since it’s public and that’s their decision.

Having 2 separate walls would be confusing, if the image is on one wall (sender) and not the other (receiver) does the image show in the gallery or not?

20 Likes