Postcard scenes in mass media

Ever since I’ve been in Postcrossing, I’ve been acutely attuned to noticing postcards depicted in scenes from the movies and other mass media. For example, in a documentary about Monte Carlo, there’s a rack of postcards quite visible behind Piers Morgan. In the James Bond films Octopussy and The Living Daylights, there are also racks of postcards clearly visible in two of the scenes.
But in one of the Mission Impossible films, (I can’t remember which one, they all pretty much look alike), a postcard took, if you will, center stage. In this scene, Tom Cruise, aka Ethan Hunt, retrieves a postcard from a p.o. box and finds, concealed behind the card’s postage stamp, a microdot. I can’t remember the specifics, but I’m pretty sure the microdot contained information that was essential to Mr. Hunt’s ultimately successful effort in saving the world from some evil mastermind’s plot of world domination, because why else would someone affix a microdot to the back of a postage stamp? At any rate, what I find hard to believe about this particular scene is that someone would send something as important as a world-saving microdot through the regular mail. What happens if the card gets delayed, or even lost? And why would the sender of the card leave the message part completely blank? If you’re going to go to the trouble of concealing a microdot behind a stamp, wouldn’t you also write a brief message, at least to avoid suspicion; i.e., what kind of “tourist” would send a card to someone without writing a short message? Not even a “Happy Postcrossing”?
At any rate, everything turned out okay in the end, because Mr. Hunt did, in fact, manage to save the world, and I believe Tom Cruise probably made a huge amount of money, because he likely received a percentage of the film’s gross. There was no indication in the movie, however, if Mr. Hunt was able to register the card, because the card didn’t contain an I.D., and anyway, it wouldn’t have really mattered, because the sender of the card died before Mr. Hunt had actually received it.
In my years in Postcrossing, I personally have never been lucky enough to receive a card with a microdot concealed behind a stamp, at least as far as I know.

27 Likes

I received a card with a seed embedded in the stamp. I forget the origin, but I was totally blown away by it.
And just think … a seed is far more useful in saving the planet than a microchip!
“The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit.”

27 Likes

I hope you planted it.

The Nederlands had such stamps, I’ve received them too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Unless the seed is from an invasive species. It might be worthwhile to ask a botanist to help you identify it first. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Mr. Hunt also managed to receive a card that was never send. For the postmark does not really look like a German one and the German and American bar codes are also missing. And the card is so undamaged after being processd by the notorious card eating USPS sorting machines.

11 Likes

I watched this Indonesian movie on Disney+ few days ago.

Cinta di Saku Celana

The main character is a Post Office guy. On the poster he is the one standing on the left side with his postage stamp hammer. In the movie you can see his daily tasks as Post Office guy.

Official trailer

Behind the scene. Here you can see scenes showing postcards

Look, he is stamping postcard

He is holding a postcard

Can you guess from which country this postcard is?

6 Likes

I think from The Netherlands, Amsterdam.

3 Likes

They didn’t mention the country but I found there are many bicycles in there. I believe you are correct.

While looking at the postcard, he is imagining he is in Amsterdam with the girl he likes.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with yudi and sophie54 , that the building on the postcard is in The Netherlands. I believe sophie54 because she, of course, is actually from The Netherlands, in addition to which she’s honed her powers of observation and deduction, apparently, by reading mysteries and detective novels. And I believe yudi is correct because he made the acute, almost Sherlock Holmesian observation about the bicycles, though I have no idea if he, too, likes mysteries and detective novels (I mean yudi, not Sherlock Holmes).
Furthermore, the building in the postcard looks very similar to the one that can be seen near the woman’s left shoulder in the picture of Amsterdam.

2 Likes

As further evidence that my life is totally devoid of both meaning or purpose, I just looked up the address “4306 Durham Road,” in Norfolk, Virginia, as seen on the postcard in the aforementioned Mission Impossible film, and there is no such address, let alone there being a post office at that address. You would think that a government agent sending an important, world-saving piece of mail to another agent would have at least taken the time to get the address right.

3 Likes

Or maybe they destroyed all evidence of the post office! :rofl:

3 Likes

They couldn’t possibly be THAT evil.

2 Likes

Same here!

Yesterday I watched “The Father” (2020) where the main character, played by the legendary Anthony Hopkins, receives a postcard with a painting from his daughter in Paris:

Does anyone know the name of the painting?

(By the way, it was a great film. Heartbreaking, but definitely worth watching!)

9 Likes

Here’s a link to information about the painting I just found on “Tineye.” I don’t suppose Anthony Hopkins found a microdot concealed behind the stamp on the postcard, or that he saved the world at the end of the film, either. Were there at least a few explosions?

https://tineye.com/search/a8483543a8f039c18b99cc6a679d3b2a80c79ec5?sort=score&order=desc&page=1

2 Likes

Thank you for the info - ah sadly no explosions at all in this movie :sweat_smile:

Not even a car crash, I bet. But I had heard that it was a good movie.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched The Tomorrow War movie but I found this in Chris Pratt instagram

Anybody seen the movie?

I wish I could get a card with Wish You Weren’t Here

5 Likes

I just found this website where they apparently sell “wish you weren’t here” postcards and greeting cards.

2 Likes

Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings has a postcard serve as a plot point :slight_smile:

3 Likes