Postcard scenes in mass media

I love Corner Gas - a popular Canadian TV show that ran from 2004 to 2009. The show is centred on a gas station in Saskatchewan. They have a postcard rack that is often seen in the background featuring postcards from Saskatchewan.

Here is one.

6 Likes

A gas station that sells postcards! (I remember when they even had free maps).

4 Likes

There’s a cute scene on the second episode of the second season of the new All Creatures Great and Small that features postcards… and a postcrosser! :heart_eyes:

Siegfried Farnon (played by Samuel West) received a postcard from Dorothy (a friend of Mrs. Hall that he has a crush on).

Samuel does Postcrossing with his 2 daughters and has been quite vocal in his support of the project over the years. It’s really neat to see him interacting with postcards on the series!

21 Likes

Thanks for the information. Perhaps someone should start a topic in the forum called “Postcrosser scenes in mass media;” if they haven’t already.

1 Like

And today I received this postcard showing similar building in what we discussed before.
What a coincidence.

6 Likes

Postcard scene from Marvel’s superhero film Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings (2021).
Interestingly the back has a return address as well. Which is usually not so common. Maybe production put it there just to drive the plot.

Spoiler

Because the recipient (Shang-Chi) goes to this address in Macau to find the sender (his sister).

Can anyone identify the stamp used?

9 Likes

Or maybe even production put the return address there because they’re not too familiar with the proper way to send a postcard. (If I’m not mistaken, it looks like the return address is right under the destination address; in reality, if a person were to mail a card like that, it would very possibly be returned to him, especially if the card had been read by a sorting machine).

2 Likes

Yes, I also found the return address placement odd. They better should have consulted with a postcrosser! :wink:

1 Like

Obviously, they should have Postcrossers on the sets of motion picture productions at all times, like gaffers, and cinematographers.

4 Likes

A few screenshots from the film “Don’t Blink,” a documentary of the legendary photographer Robert Frank, here showing part of his collection of postcards.

![Screenshot (2637)|340x207](upload://3QHDZmcFVsEVH6NqX5WhGGCZ3n9.jpeg

6 Likes

We watched the new Tom Hanks movie Finch recently.

A postcard of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco appears a number of times, and is important in the storyline of the movie. I don’t want to say any more and give anything away. I enjoyed the movie a lot.

8 Likes

I recently received a Russian postcard with the same address placement… So I’m guessing it’s not common, but it’s an acceptable variation in real life.

Frankly, I was amazed it arrived.

2 Likes

It may be “acceptable,” but not very smart. A postcard addressed like the one in the above example probably would have a fifty percent chance of being returned to the sender, (or at least significantly delayed) depending on which of the addresses the optical reader registered.

Above is Russian card.
Below is China card, the popular Ever & Ein series.
Considering Shang Chi received the card from China, maybe it’s not odd in China.

5 Likes

In the film IT, Beverly gets a postcard from Ben but doesn’t know its from him since he always loved her. This scene above shows he made a diorama of the same building shown in the postcard.

9 Likes

A murder mystery, that’s a bit on the macabre side - so don’t watch it if you’re squeamish - is “The Postcard Killings”. Can be found on Netflix. Here’s a trailer, but beware … it is macabre!

5 Likes

On a sidebar note, I’m a fan of the “postcard story” writing genre.
DID YOU KNOW …
Arthur C. Clark published this postcard story in 1977, in Isaac Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine, first issue. 21st century irony in the title …

4 Likes

Kartu Pos Wini (Wini’s Postcard)

This movie is about Ruth, a post office staff, and Wini, a little girl who has leukemia who writes a postcard to God. The movie will be released in Indonesia cinema on 4 February 2022 to coincide with world cancer day

5 Likes

This reminds me of a famous piece written in the satirical newspaper The Onion years ago:

OMG. This website said that Bradley Cooper died in 2017 :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes