(503) 954-2610
https://maps.app.goo.gl/TqGBaHNF1GTbRhE87

DATE: Saturday, October 14, 2023
NO EARLY ARRIVALS
TIME: 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. PST
NO EARLY ARRIVALS
COST: $6 per person to pay for the venue rental and fees, bottled water, and
$0.23 per postcard.

MEETUP PLAN: @steresem (Stephanie) and I are happy to be co-hosting this Meetup. Come join your fellow Postcrossers at Portland’s own Taborspace for socializing, postcard signing & possible swaps.

Our goal is to share our collective joy of postcrossing, to make wholesome connections with other human beings, and to spread that positivity to our fellow postcrossers across the globe!

Takeaways from our March Meetup (same place). We had:

• about 25 attendees;
  • large variety of people to talk to and share with;
  • show and tell included specialty collections of postcards, a Galen Leather Writing Box, fountain pen discussions and tales of global mail adventures;
  • a handful of great prizes like washi tape bundles, postcard sets, vintage and wooden postcards, etc.
  • a VERY full trash and treasure table to loot from: lots of fun cards to take home.

An official 4x6 Postcrossing Meetup postcard will be printed and made available to attendees. 300 cards will be printed. First come, first served. Please see payment options at the bottom of this post. You do NOT have to purchase Meetup Postcards to participate: you can bring your own postcards for us to sign, or just come to socialize and talk all things Happy Mail.

UPDATE as of July 17, 2023: the postcard design contest is on! Here are the details:

• Use your own work, nothing that’s trademarked, copyrighted or created by anyone else: have respect for others and the Postcrossing community.
  • Submit a sketch, painting, drawing, or design of:
    **Content that is fall related (or)
    **Content that is Portland related (or)
    **Content that is Oregon related
  • We will also consider Postcrossing/ Happy Mail related content; however, since our March 2023 Meetup card was all stamps, we are wanting to get some variety in designs (not stamp/postal related) for this Meetup.
  • Deadline to enter: August 21, 2023 (over a month away)
  • Your hosts will judge entries around the end of August, then announce the winner in September.
  • Winner will get 20 Meetup cards (their design) free, and @dictionary will pay for your entry to the venue (or reimburse you if already paid).

Venue has capped capacity of rented room, so only 35 people will be allowed. RSVP (using the blue GOING button above this post) before paying. You are WELCOME to bring (paid) friends, family, or visitors, we just need to know ahead of time. We welcome people new to Postcrossing, and happy mail veterans alike.

Please bring postcards and other relevant items to show & tell or share.
Please bring your “trash” postcards that others might find to be “treasure”. We will have a Trash or Treasure table for people to look through.

People may want to participate in a group photo.

For convenience and efficiency, bring your signature stamp or stickers (1 inch or smaller), you’ll thank yourself later! I got mine made at rubberstamps.com

Loose itinerary:
10:00-10:30 a.m. - Collect funds, hand out Meetup cards (see registration table inside to pay)
10:30 - 11:45 a.m. - Postcard signing
11:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. - Show and Tell
12:15 - 12:20 p.m. - Prize giveaways (happy mail items, gift cards).
12:20 - 1:00 p.m. - Postcard signing
1:00 p.m. Wrap up and exit building

You can request swaps with attendees and/or to pick up postcards on your behalf if you are unable to come. Please respond below with approximately how many meetup postcards you might be interested in. Postcards will be only held for attendees who pay. First come first serve means that if you don’t prepay, you could miss out - there will only be 300 available. If there are extra postcards after the meetup, we can open them up for trade.

LOGISTICS

TRANSPORTATION: TriMet bus lines 15-Belmont and 14-Hawthorne are local to this venue. You can also get there via bike, car or on foot.

PARKING: Please use Taborspace parking lot located on 54th and Belmont. If the lot is full, please be mindful of neighbors’ driveways.

GETTING INSIDE: (NO EARLY ARRIVALS) Please avoid coming earlier than 10:00 a.m.
If parking in the assigned parking lot, entry can be made by walking from the parking lot across 54th Ave. and entering through a side door. Alternative entry can be made between 54th and 55th Ave. on Belmont St. To get to the Day Hall, from Belmont Street, use the DOWN ramp on the LEFT side of the main stairs (see pics on this post). So either enter on Belmont St. or 54th Ave. We can direct you to the coffee bar later (or read below). NO EARLY ARRIVALS.

RESTROOMS: Building is ADA accessible, and has multiple restrooms.

FOOD: no food is offered on-site. Please bring a non-messy snack to share. Coffee bar is available (upper level). If you want to get coffee before the Meetup, you can enter from the corner of Belmont and 55th Ave. - the door on the corner of the building goes right inside the cafe.

Nearby amenities: Several restaurant options, Mt. Tabor Park, QFC & Fred Meyer Grocers.

Nearby Stationery Stores:

PiPH!-Paper Epiphanies, 2501 SE CLINTON ST, PORTLAND, OR 97202 (opens 10:00 a.m. Saturdays)

Collage, 3701 SE DIVISION ST PORTLAND, OR 97202 (opens 10:00 a.m. Saturdays)

Nearest Blue Boxes:

1500 SE 54TH AVE PORTLAND, OR 97215
4604 SE HAWTHORNE BLVD PORTLAND, OR 97215

POSTCARDS
Cards are first come first served - no holds unless agreed upon.

9 Likes

I am i interested. I do not lve in Pottland.

1 Like

We would be very happy to have you!

I missed the last one, I was so bummed. Looking forward to this meetup!

1 Like

Yay! Excited to have you join us. :grinning:

The last meetup was so much fun! Wish I had ordered more meetup postcards. This time I’d love 30 postcards. They were so fun to send and their recipients seemed to really like getting them!

1 Like

Looking forward to more fun!

Stay tuned for the card design contest. After that we will print and have pricing. Will need to wait for payment to reserve cards this time. Thank you Drew!

@dictionary yay! Thanks for the invite, I had SOOO much fun last time and am 100% up for it again. @steresem look out for a Venmo from me!

2 Likes

Also as someone who SIGNED earlier this year, I highly recommend a stamp :wink::wink::wink: just ordered mine. Hand still hurts from April :joy:

4 Likes

YAY! SOOO glad to have you there again.

Updated post with contest details.

Hi there - I will be on vacation from Sydney, Australia and would love to join. I have clicked ‘going’. Can I pay on the day (in cash, will bring exact money) and I would love cards please - is 10 OK?
Thks

2 Likes

Hello, we would love to have you. Payment can be on the day of; however, the 300 postcards that will be printed are first come first served, so not sure if there will be any available if not paid ahead of time.

No problem - I am happy to try to pay ahead of time. Venmo is not supported internationally - is there another way I can transfer funds to you?
tks

1 Like

Pmd you.

I’m definitely interested! Please let me know about the postcard design contest too! Woohoo!

1 Like

Yay! We are just one away from our minimum 20 RSVPs, if you hit the blue “Going” button, we can do the contest announcement. Thanks for planning on joining!

Update: contest now open. Please upload your entry image here. If you are the winner, we will ask you to email the image in high resolution for printing. Good luck everyone! @steresem

2 Likes

contest design is LIVE. hoping people get in so I don’t have to use my crayons for the Meetup Card :slight_smile:

I live in India and will be visiting Portland and Vancouver in the 1st-2nd week of November’23. Sad that I won’t be able to join this meetup.
Wish you guys all the best and lots of lovely exchanges.

I would love some advice on where to look for purchasing local themed postcards while I’m there. I’d like to mail some to family and friends (myself included) and get some extra for postcrossing.

Thanks and have a lovely day!

2 Likes