Nordens Ark meetup Saturday, October 7th, 2023 11am-4pm

:world_map: CITY/REGION: Nordens Ark, Åby säteri, Hunnebostrand
:round_pushpin: MEETUP PLACE: Front entrance
:calendar: DATE: October 7th, 2023
:alarm_clock: TIME: 11am
:page_facing_up: MEETUP PLAN: Walk through the park and see some animals, take pictures, have lunch, sit down and write postcards

Hello all! We are a group of Norwegian Postcrossers who have a lovely tradition of visiting Nordens Ark once a year, and the past few times we have made the visit a Postcrossing meetup too. There are four of us and we will visit the park on October 7th - we are driving from Oslo so we will arrive at around 11am. We will stay until the park closes at 4pm. It would be great if some more Postcrossers would like to join us. Please RSVP if you are planning to attend.

Nordens Ark is a not for profit zoological park which only keeps species that are red listed and that belong in the Swedish climate. The enclosures are large and kept as natural as possible, so the animals thrive here. They have a number of exotic species such as Amur tiger, maned wolf, Persian leopard, snow leopard, red panda, Przewalski’s horse and Pallas cat alongside many others. The newest attraction is a brand new reptile house with only turtles - the Turtle Ark … ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The park’s website is here: https://en.nordensark.se/

I don’t know if there will be a meetup card - @KAS, any ideas?

You can buy food at the park, and they also have excellent facilities for an overnight stay if you are traveling from far away. I’m not entirely sure yet where we will sit down to write postcards as this depends on the weather, among other things. We’ll figure out the details on the day. :slight_smile:

The park has a small gift shop where they sell some postcards among other things. But be aware that this is a not for profit place so they are nowhere near as commercial as most other zoos (places like Kolmården for instance) so there is much less to potentially buy than you might expect.

We will be walking probably around 5 kilometers at the least so you should be able to walk some distance, but there is no uneven terrain to be traversed, it’s an easy walk. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hope to see some Swedish (or otherwise) Postcrossers there … ! :wink:

Attendees:
LeishaCamden
KAS
Tanumine
quiltoholic
systrarnabocker
baguetta
Inger71
hannaahl
Sverige
arcticgirl64 +1

1 Like

See you there :grinning:

Update August 23rd: behold, a meetup card with turtles! Thanks to @LeishaCamden for the photo! Taken at Nordens Ark some years ago.

Ignore the “proof” watermark and click image for bigger view.

Price will as always depend on total size of order and is likely to be anywhere between 3.5-6 kr pr card. Vistaprint has gotten more expensive, but if we order lots of cards, they are cheaper per card. Just sayin’, no pressure :joy:

Let me know how many, if any, cards you want by September 3rd. Thanks! Update September 13: Cards have arrived. Price came to 3.4 NOK per card.

Orders:
KAS - 20
Tanumine - 10
hannaahl - 30
LeishaCamden - 20
systrarnabocker - 35
Sverige - 20
Inger71 - 50
arcticgirl64 - 10
ScandinavianTraveler - 5
baguetta - 10

3 Likes

I’ll check the archives :face_with_monocle:

Nice! I will join! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I want to attend.

I will join. Is it possible to have a seat in the car from Sarpsborg?

Normally we take my car from Oslo. Guessing this applies this Saturday as well :slight_smile:
We will be me + 3 passengers, 1 in the front, 2 in the back. I’m not sure how comfy the middle seat in the back is, or how 3 people seated really closer together works for 1 hour 30 minutes. Guess it’s up to the passengers to decide :slight_smile:

I would suggest that since both @Baguetta and @Inger71 are planning to attend they should work the transport issue out between them. @Tanumine you don’t have room for both of them and they are both coming from Sarpsborg …

1 Like

Of course I am coming. Wouldn’t miss it for anything.

4 Likes

I second this motion of a meet-up card :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m thinking about it, having many thoughts about turtles since the SkölpaddsArken/Turtle Ark has opened :joy: :turtle: There may be turtles or a turtle on the card, will post as soon as I’m done doodling :smile: If anyone else has meetup card ideas, though, do feel free! :smile:

@KAS I’ve sent you some pictures from previous visits, all reptiles, mostly turtles - hope there’s something you can use :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, looking into it! I think it’ll be turtle time :smile: :turtle:

1 Like

My favorite of the pictures I sent you is the one with the two Emys orbicularis basking next to each other :wink:

This post is now updated with meetup card info!

2 Likes

Sign me up for 10, please :+1:

1 Like

I want to order 30. It is a wonderful photo and I am so glad you are doing a meet-up card.

2 Likes

Best meetup card ever … ! :smiley: Sign me up for 20!

1 Like

I suggest that the 2 of us will join you

Unfortunately I don’t think @Tanumine is driving a mini bus :joy:

1 Like