Meetups Guidelines: feedback welcome!

Yes, that is also possible. However, having co-hosted a few meetups in Catalonia, I have noticed the locals usually communicate via instant messengers like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger. That’s why I only mentioned WhatsApp to keep it short. :wink:

1 Like

What is a Meetup Book, please tell me more. I’m organizing my first F2F Meetup here in Minnesota, just want to be in the know in case someone brings one. Lynne

1 Like

Sounds good!

A meetup book is a notebook or binder where you can collect addresses of other meetup attendees and also the meetup postcard if there is one.

Many put also their personal stamps and a few words along with the address, so it becomes a nice commemorative item.

2 Likes

:+1:

A post was merged into an existing topic: General Meetup Discussions

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: General Meetup Discussions

A post was merged into an existing topic: General Meetup Discussions

For me and for many other postcrossers it would be so much more interesting and better if the language in the whole meeting topic was English again!!!
You know this card?

It applies to many of us. Or not specific that we plan our whole holiday around it but that we want to do a meet-up abroad and make a citytrip of it but now with only the main topic in English and the rest in the own language it’s really not interesting anymore. (not everybody is a polyglot) You can’t follow what they all writing and getting all through Google Translate is a hell of job for some meetings with lots and lots of comments. Maybe you could think about it to change this from the 1st of January again? It would be helpful for a lot of us because i.m.o. this was a step back so returning all to English would be TOP!!! Thanks in advance to think about it :slight_smile: :+1:

You don’t have to use Google translator, your browser can easily translate the sites into your chosen language.

And you can always ask in English and at least in the German section the people have no problems to add an additional explaination in English.

There are a lot of people who can only understand and write very simple English. For them, it is a great thing that the Meetup section of their country is in their native language. Imho it is good as it is now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi! I took part of Estonian meetup on 01.10.2022 in Viru Hotel in Tallinnn-it’s my very first meeting -never done that -I do agree with this general ideas but -it’s would be better (in my mind) if in meetups place everybody had their username on shirts (like sticker post it paper or so that where we all could see the username) -secondly I think it would be nice if someone says some words by microphone (when it starts) like “Helloo postcrossing enthusiasts today we have -… hours to be here and do You know that inside this nice gathering we do have inside post going on … and maybe some words for organizations people like “thank You”- because if You are on first time -like I was -You find Yourself inside with people whom: 1) You don’t know-what is ok 2) it’s like shock because usually some do know and some don’t and if You have no glue how long time it is (ok they say it on gathering day in forums ect ) but I say it’s important to say it or show it on gatherings too -like “now we have 3 hours left “ 3) all what it’s connected with eating ect should be written on some board like -because some pay extra and some are just visiting 4) I think would be nice if postcrossing people could collect something extra on every meeting -maybe it’s a stamp or some sticker from those who gather this because it’s like a “paus” for those who came -maybe on a table should be note -“here are those who made this meet up -You are welcome to have their stamps on Your postcard” because-ok I doooo like to post a postcard yea but I do think if You come from a street or just stepping a by You should have the list of -where is easy to see (event plan) or a big clock what shows time left -or meetup those who made it-5) inside post -like what it’s common in every gathering -what I did understand-this idea rules should have a extra table -where people could take the papers ect to dooo that -not that You have to ask people to people -it’s maybe sooooo common but if You are on a first time -You simply do not know what to expect-it’s total waw and ect -like simple rules -“send it inside the room”-“put stamp to others postcards what are inside this envelope”-“be cool because it’s postcrossing”… ect …6) would be nice if the room had a station of water or just coffeee -where those who do not write can be and talk -some are shy -this would take the stress out. In big plan what I did learn from this gathering was: 1) postcrossing people aren’t old /I had this imagination that is old people hobby ect/ no they are from every age group 2) postcrossing people are very friendly-I should say it’s like “warm breeze” -You feel that You are surrounded with people who are soooooo positive 3) postcrossing people loooove the postcards -it’s like waw every postcrossing person has one story about their loved postcard -here is an idea ! 4) I never thought that I could take part of any gathering -because Estonia is sooo far -in worldwide way 5) postcards what I saw -waw 6) we have postcrossing fans -like 600 postcards sent -thousands sent ect -I think it’s important to say it by microphone that we do have people with high list and if anyone had any questions of postcrossing things they can ask and talk -because if You send less -You do have questions and it’s nice that people with the same hobby can help each other 7) postcrossing-if we think how much positive energy every day go by simple postcard-waw we are heroes!!! Sooo I say: “thank You “ for those who made this Estonian first meetup on 01.10.2022- first time -the hard time ! -thank You for those whom I met -thank You one person who sent me Vaasa meetup postcard (what a surprise this was) and I hope that there will be more meetups where people could meet and see “this “ what You will feel when You are there. Thank You!

2 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: General Meetup Discussions

sounds good

Very good and helpful guidelines. But how can you start the meet up in the first place? Is there some rules and guidelines there, too?

Hi @Becks1975, there are instructions in the meetup section - look into this topic: About the Postcrossing Meetups

1 Like

Thank you

I hate receiving those meetup cards to be honest :frowning: It happend not just once that I received a card just full of stamps, which was very disappointing, because its unpersonal and everytime the quality of the cards was just like self-printed with a bit thicker paper. It makes me angry, when I put much time and love in every single postcard just to receive a card full od stamps and I fil kind of betrayed.

1 Like

We have finally published today the Meetup Guidelines!

This took us way longer than we expected initially, but so much has happened since that we just didn’t have the bandwidth to complete this.

We have made some more improvements in the meantime based from feedback we have been receiving since we started working on this, updated some text for clarity, and they are now published. We’ll be linking to them in several places (including the meetup template text) to raise awareness.

Thank you all for the feedback provided here. For further feedback, please use the General Meetup Discussions going forward.

2 Likes