:postcard: Mail Suspension Alerts

There is good news that Taiwan can send to Finland by airmail service since November 15th, 2021. I think Åland Islands is OK, too for their close post relationship :wink:

https://www.post.gov.tw/post/internet/U_english2/index.jsp?ID=35020101&news_no=49621&control_type=page&news_cat=201&group_name=&news_type=latest_news

3 Likes

In addition to six already closed destinations from Kazakhstan Post of Kazakhstan suspending all mail service to Canada. Effective 15 November 2021

https://www.facebook.com/307149339355455/posts/6366796396724022/?substory_index=0

2 Likes

Hello! I wanted to let you know that there is in fact mail coming now from RUSSIA to CAMEROON.
I can’t provide you with a URL of any kind, but I know this for fact because I just received 4 postcards from Russia in my box, 3 that came as being part of another mailing club and 1 as direct swap.

Interestingly, one of the cards was mailed in June, but the other three are more recent. They were mailed in September from Russia and arrived this week in Cameroon. That’s about right for ‘normal’ arrival time.

Thought you should know to be able to update the Postal Monitor.

Postal Monitor has been updated for:
Aland, Australia, Austria, Barbados, Chile, Costa Rica, Finland, Kazakhstan, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan.

Hi Marianne — greetings to Cameroon! Thank you for reporting this, but I fear we can’t resume the route if Russian Post itself says the don’t send to Cameroon — mail may even be refused at the post office counter if it is to a suspended destination.

What we suspect happens — not just with Russian Post but many countries, specially these days — is that they sometimes may end up being able to send when (and if) there’s a ocasional connection flight available where they are able to put any backlogged mail into. Since such connection is not guaranteed to happen (since it may even not take place at all), they can’t put Cameroon as a working destination. Granted, there’s some guessing from our part about what exactly happing with the Russian Post, but from what we hear from many postal operators, this kind of situation is more common than we would like to.

So, it can happen that you get mail from Russia, but as you said, it is from June and some more recent — that fits our explanation, but still doesn’t guarantee mail from Russia to Cameroon will be delivered again soon.

Hopefully soon the route will be (officially) restored by Russian Post, but until then, we’ll have to wait.

1 Like

Indonesia last update on November 2021, we could send to more countries. Read the last 2 coloumns on the right.
Paket Pos Biasa LN (International Surface Mail)
Pos Udara LN (International Air Mail)
Most countries got checked on surface mail, some countries checked on air mail.
Please take a look on the update.
Thank you for your time :slight_smile:
here’s the link, it’s the same as before but the postal service keeps updating on it.

https://booking.posindonesia.co.id/posint/

Good evening, in Loy Krathong Day in Thailand.

I would like to explain about ongoing mail suspensions in Thailand, announced on November 1, some major destinations (Brazil, Japan and USA) have been suspended for some postal services only, not all services especially ordinary mail (airmail) and postcard.

Ordinary mail (airmail) to these destinations can be sent with the higher postal rate. e.g. Thailand Post had suspended only the 0 - 40 grams for letter (air) service with old postal rate, but you can send it with the postal rate for 41 grams as the usual as the new starter rate. (It doesn’t mean you cannot send, but you can send with the higher rate.)

Postcard is not affected with this notification, you can send to 64 destinations with letter post (air) available.

Reference: Thailand Post’s notice https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OGkBLRXkgaOuA-x2N-I2fLe0faBrUXeu/view or https://file.thailandpost.com/upload/content/EN-7_617c1472bd3ad.pdf

Please revise this information and unlock these destinations soon.

Best regards.

Hi, @martissy

Here is Paulo’s response from October 21st.

Hi, @tumkrubb

Thank you for the clarification.
I think this is what you mean, correct?

I forwarded the message to Ana & Paulo.

Yes. Postcard service is still available for 64 destinations, refer to Thailand Post announcement.

Recently, Thailand Post has announced the available destination for international postal service effective from November 22. But it isn’t affect the letter and postcard (airmail) service.

PS. Sometimes Thailand Post announcement makes us puzzled. (Postal rates for postcard and picture card issue is also the problem for senders and post officer. — I think Thailand maybe the only one that separate the rate for postcard — not exceed 105 x 148 mm (A6) and picture card — over 105 x 148 mm (A6) to 130 x 180 mm. It’s difference from many destinations.)

UPDATE - INDIA to USA, CANADA postal delay. It is better to suspend the USA and CANADA address to INDIAN Postcrossers to avoid expiration and other issues.

@kirankp , we deal with suspensions, and we usually do not block Postcrossing routes for delays.

Since the pandemic, there have been delays everywhere. It’s a norm these days.
The amount of delay (its length, duration, frequency, and affected areas) varies not just by country, but by city, day of the week, and other factors.
With delays, it may take time to get to the destination, but unlike suspension, postcards will be accepted at Post offices.

@tumkrubb, we’re working on Thai Post information. Please bear with us. We try to be careful to prevent everyone’s postcards from being rejected, returned, or charged a higher rate.

Some other countries have regular and larger-size postcard rates. But I haven’t seen a larger-sized postcard called “a picture card”. Interesting.

1 Like

¡Hola! I think it should be created a section for Andorra :slight_smile:

Andorra is one of the few fully independent countries that don’t have their own postal service. Instead, both the Spanish and French services operate there with their normal services. Therefore, the mail restrictions of postcards sent from Andorra are the same of those of Spain and France if you choose to send via their respective post services. So I think it would be a good idea to make a section for Andorra and include all countries that are restricted by Spain and/or France. Since the Postcrossing system doesn’t know which service a person from Andorra or someone using travel mode in Andorra will use when requesting an address, it would be a great idea to include all countries. For example, Cuba is currently restricted by France but not by Spain, but anyway it would be included.

It’s just a suggestion, since I think that it would be such a pity if a wonderful postcard from such a rare country gets lost due to this mess of Postal systems :laughing:

1 Like

Postal Monitor has been updated for:
Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Guatemala, Japan, Maldives, Portugal, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Ukraine.

1 Like

¡Hola! :wave:

Andorra is a tricky place indeed. Do you know how it works in practice when someone wants to mail something in Andorra? Are there post offices of both La Poste and Correos that the person can choose from? Or, is there just one unified post office that receives all mail and then routes it via La poste and Correos behind the scenes?

Latest update from Poste Srpske
https://www.postesrpske.com/medjunarodne-posijke/

1 Like

Mail between South Africa and the Netherlands might become a problem.
Flights are suspended as off noon today (new corona virus).
I’ll tell when PostNL has official news.

This will probably affect mail between more countries…

I asked the problems of receiving and Posting international letters on China Post WeChat Official account.They said it is currently impossible to receive SURFACE mail to Ecuador.And China Post has stopped send the Surface parcel to United States(https://my.ems.com.cn/pcp-web/f/pcp/indexController/tonoticeindex?ntificationId=aafff384c01b731d91b2133e5e79cdb6).Because of impact of Covid,all mail to United States may be delayed.
By the way,in the tieba of Postcrossing,someone said China Post returned his SURFACE mail to Latvia because the post way has problem.However,the official staff said they have not received a notice about this.

Please pay attention.Thanks
BA518D2768F9E223E810C550060A4684|340x191
Screenshot_20211126_194333_com.tencent.mm_edit_3361536645840|340x192

1 Like

The information we have is that Ecuador doesn’t have a functioning postal operator at the moment, so we have it suspended in both inbound and outbound for quite a while now. This is indicated at the top of the postal monitor page.

As for mail from China to Latvia, we are currently following the official information from China Post which doesn’t mention Latvia. Looking at our data, postcards from China are arriving in Latvia so hopefully that was an isolated case.

Sorry but I updated the message.The Surface package to U.S. is stopped in Nov.3rd.(https://my.ems.com.cn/pcp-web/f/pcp/indexController/tonoticeindex?ntificationId=aafff384c01b731d91b2133e5e79cdb6)And all mail to U.S. may be delayed because the impact of Covid.
Thanks.